Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Burnt ends

I saw a cool YouTube on the origins of burnt ends and got inspired.

On the way home from work I stopped at Costco and nabbed a USDA Prime whole packer brisket for $2.99/#. I broke it down and trimmed it when I got home, separating the point and the flat ala Malcom Reed. The point will be smoked and dedicated to burnt ends on Sunday. Anyone else ever done this? Pointers?

Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• TeefusTeefus Posts: 605
    edited September 2017
    Got the process started this morning. Hoping to have some savory burnt ends by halftime. I trimmed up the point to remove excess fat and went with Weber's Coffee Rub. The Egg is holding steady at 275*

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,779
    I'm in the pork belly burnt ends camp.  Can't get bring myself to sacrifice the brisket point.  But enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.  Lookin good.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • Looks like you are off to a great start.  Please share pics of the final product. Enjoy!
    In cooking you have to have a what-the-hell attitude. The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.   ~Julia Child

LBGE, 22" Traeger, and a  FireDisc deep in the heart of Texas

I decided not to cube up as burnt ends. It looked too tasty (and was!) this was my first time using butcher paper and it won't be the last. The meat spent 4 hours on the smoke and 3 1/2 wrapped in the paper. I let it rest for 30 minutes prior to carving. 

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,779
    Now that is some great judgment right there.  And a great looking plate as well.  Continue to enjoy this banquet and the follow-on from the point.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
    Thanks. It was my best effort to date. The combination of prime beef, butcher paper, and some patience paid off. Frankly I think the patience can't be overstated. All of my previous efforts simply weren't done enough. The extra time in the wrap made a difference. 
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,494
    Outstanding.  And good audible.  

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• Way to go brother.. nice plate of food
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"

• Several years ago, I asked a butcher to separate two points from the whole packer for me.  He said I was the first to ever request that.  I did burnt ends with them for a Super Bowl party, and I'd do it again. They were awesome.  I'm just not a fan of the flat.  At least, I'm not a fan of the flats I've made.  The point seems to be so much more forgiving. 

Your post is a good reminder that that I can slice the point as well!  Nice work!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Those burnt ends look great. They're perfect for a party.
  • My flats always seem to come out dry so they go into a simmering chili while the point goes right into the belly as burnt ends.  Yum.

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

My flats always seem to come out dry so they go into a simmering chili while the point goes right into the belly as burnt ends.  Yum.

I sampled some flat a while back where the grille master had finished the flat in a foil pan with a lid instead of wrapping it. When he pulled it, the drippings were poured off and the fat removed. This was mixed with some beef broth and a little BBQ sauce. The flat was sliced and returned to the pan, and the fortified au jus poured over the top. The lid was placed back on and the sliced brisket rested a spell in a cooler. As it rested, the juices were drawn back into the meat. It was exceptional.
  • SGHSGH Posts: 24,099
    @Teefus
    It looks mighty fine brother tooth. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.