Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt ends

Options
I saw a cool YouTube on the origins of burnt ends and got inspired.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AZgD2pn8CAQ

On the way home from work I stopped at Costco and nabbed a USDA Prime whole packer brisket for $2.99/#. I broke it down and trimmed it when I got home, separating the point and the flat ala Malcom Reed. The point will be smoked and dedicated to burnt ends on Sunday. Anyone else ever done this? Pointers?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVOh8430oCs
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Got the process started this morning. Hoping to have some savory burnt ends by halftime. I trimmed up the point to remove excess fat and went with Weber's Coffee Rub. The Egg is holding steady at 275*

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I'm in the pork belly burnt ends camp.  Can't get bring myself to sacrifice the brisket point.  But enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.  Lookin good.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • LindenEmry
    Options
    Looks like you are off to a great start.  Please share pics of the final product. Enjoy!
    In cooking you have to have a what-the-hell attitude. The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.   ~Julia Child

LBGE, 22" Traeger, and a  FireDisc deep in the heart of Texas

• Teefus
    Options
    I decided not to cube up as burnt ends. It looked too tasty (and was!) this was my first time using butcher paper and it won't be the last. The meat spent 4 hours on the smoke and 3 1/2 wrapped in the paper. I let it rest for 30 minutes prior to carving. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Now that is some great judgment right there.  And a great looking plate as well.  Continue to enjoy this banquet and the follow-on from the point.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Teefus
    Options
    Thanks. It was my best effort to date. The combination of prime beef, butcher paper, and some patience paid off. Frankly I think the patience can't be overstated. All of my previous efforts simply weren't done enough. The extra time in the wrap made a difference. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Outstanding.  And good audible.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Way to go brother.. nice plate of food
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SaltySam
    Options

Several years ago, I asked a butcher to separate two points from the whole packer for me.  He said I was the first to ever request that.  I did burnt ends with them for a Super Bowl party, and I'd do it again. They were awesome.  I'm just not a fan of the flat.  At least, I'm not a fan of the flats I've made.  The point seems to be so much more forgiving. 

Your post is a good reminder that that I can slice the point as well!  Nice work!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Teefus
    Options
    Those burnt ends look great. They're perfect for a party.
  • Surveyor_Egg
    Options

My flats always seem to come out dry so they go into a simmering chili while the point goes right into the belly as burnt ends.  Yum.

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• Teefus
    Options

My flats always seem to come out dry so they go into a simmering chili while the point goes right into the belly as burnt ends.  Yum.

I sampled some flat a while back where the grille master had finished the flat in a foil pan with a lid instead of wrapping it. When he pulled it, the drippings were poured off and the fat removed. This was mixed with some beef broth and a little BBQ sauce. The flat was sliced and returned to the pan, and the fortified au jus poured over the top. The lid was placed back on and the sliced brisket rested a spell in a cooler. As it rested, the juices were drawn back into the meat. It was exceptional.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Teefus
    It looks mighty fine brother tooth. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.