Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: What simple rule of math am I missing here?

Options
13»

Comments

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    I understand the confusion now.  You're focusing on the use of average speed.  I was just using the OP's notion - meaning that (4+6)/2 = 5, even though that doesn't necessarily turn out to be the average velocity you'll have over the interval.  

If you solve my system, it will give you the right distances to walk at a velocity of 4mph and 6mph, such that you walk a total of five miles in one hour.  The OP had asked why, if he alternates quarter miles (in other words, equal distances), it ends up taking longer.  All I did was to demonstrate why that's the case.  
    https://youtu.be/KQxhOYqLPdY
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Wait, 3-2 is the same as 6-4!  That don't make no sense. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I started out as a math major. It became clear to me very early on that a chemistry major would get hotter chicks.  
    I'm nursing a damn sore throat, sinus infection and pinkeye from the damn mountain fires this past week and YOU make me laugh uncontrollably for six minutes!  Send me your address, for hospital bill tomorrow.  :angry:
     =) 

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• bgebrent
    Options
    Botch said:
    bgebrent said:
    I started out as a math major. It became clear to me very early on that a chemistry major would get hotter chicks.  
    I'm nursing a damn sore throat, sinus infection and pinkeye from the damn mountain fires this past week and YOU make me laugh uncontrollably for six minutes!  Send me your address, for hospital bill tomorrow.  :angry:
     =) 
    Brother botch, I'm sorry you're under the weather my brother. Glad you got a laugh my friend. Can't remember my address...
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Botch said:
    bgebrent said:
     =) 
    Pinkeye from a fire? That's new 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Pinkeye for the fire guy.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    The solution is pretty simple by the way.  Instead of trading speeds every quarter mile, you trade them in a ratio of 3 to 2 (or 6 to 4).  So you walk the first two at 4mph, then you walk the next three at 6mph.  Then the next two at 4mph, and so on.  

You end up covering a total of 3 miles at a speed of 6mph and 2 at a speed of 4mph.  You can certainly figure this out without any of the algebra I used.  But that's not quite as fun.  
    That's what I was thinking.  It's real close, but I feel ya, not quite as fun.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Never belittle pinkeye. It sucks. Like BACA 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Never belittle pinkeye. It's sh!tty. Like BACA 
    FTFY
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Never belittle pinkeye. It's sh!tty. Like BACA 
    FTFY
    Thanks Michael. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I agree - not much fun to have at all.  
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Agreed 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    edited September 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Agreed 
    I thought you would concur, Doctor Brent. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    When I was 4 years old I was half my sisters age...I am 54 now, how old is my sister 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bgebrent
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    When I was 4 years old I was half my sisters age...I am 54 now, how old is my sister 
    John's she. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Someone needs to account for the rate of change of velocity as you accelerate from 4-6 and from 6-4 mph. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • maso
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Someone needs to account for the rate of change of velocity as you accelerate from 4-6 and from 6-4 mph. 
    Near instantaneous. A jerk, just like @JohnInCarolina (see what I did there?!)
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I assumed Heaviside functions in time, which gives rise to infinite accelerations and decelerations in theory.  That might be an issue in practice.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    She's still 4 years older than you, I hope.  
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I pooped today 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    maso said:
    The jerk is a cool unit...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • sumoconnell
    Options
    I was going 70 miles an hour and got stopped by a cop who said, "Do you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" "Yes, officer, but I wasn't going to be out that long..." 

Stephen Wright.  Same problem as the original post...
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • maso
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    maso said:
    Oh no issues here. Just poking fun and making a physics joke. Derivative of acceleration is a jerk or jolt if you prefer. 

Best jokes are the ones you have to explain. I'm disappointed in myself.  
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • GATraveller
    Options
    maso said:
    SciAggie said:
    maso said:
    Oh no issues here. Just poking fun and making a physics joke. Derivative of acceleration is a jerk or jolt if you prefer. 

Best jokes are the ones you have to explain. I'm disappointed in myself.  

I got it.....for what it's worth.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    pretty sure the obvious solution to this problem is putting a beer holder on the tread mill and a cooler beside it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Hopefully we won't need to deal with the Coriolis effect
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    At those speeds a Doppler effect shouldn't come into play either. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hopefully we won't need to deal with the Coriolis effect

we wont. The earth is flat. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA