Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT - Never used 50 year old kamado

cookingdude555cookingdude555 Posts: 1,529
edited September 2017 in Off Topic
Pretty cool ...:

https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/45690896

Shows how close the BGE copied (and improved upon) one of the original kamado designs.

John - SLC, UT

2 XLs, Large, Medium, MM, and Mini

Comments

• HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 5,051
    edited September 2017
    That is quite a find! Mint, still with some original packing/wrapping. I have no idea if that price is way out of line but I imagine that a serious collector would dig that.
    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 2,018
    Ah, the "modern" style kamado.That would look right at home in the BGE museum in my opinion.  Thanks for sharing!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Humphrey's Weekender, Superior Smokers SS-Two, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Very interesting as a collector/museum piece.  After you use it the first time, it is just a used Kamado.  I remember a few years ago, there were ~20 Black Knight pinball machines found still in the factory box in a warehouse.  It was the same with them - once you started playing them, they were just BKs in very, very good condition.
  • Jai-BoJai-Bo Posts: 566
    Cool find....I'm not sure about mid century though?  Anyone do any actual digging on it?
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • 1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • That makes sense.  I thought I remembered Ponch having one of these things behind his trailer.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

• If I had @SGH overtime money, I would be all over that.  It is really cool.  Loved seeing the packaging too.
    If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

XL, Medium, Minimax, Mini, Blackstone, WSM
  • SGHSGH Posts: 24,444
    If I had @SGH overtime money, I would be all over that.  
    Sadly brother Ozzie, if you had my money, you would be in the bread line my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 
  • Jai-BoJai-Bo Posts: 566

That's what I was thinking, still a cool piece!!!!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • They've cut the price in half now. My posting it here really ramped up the views to 400+. The seller probably thinks there is a ton of interest, but no one is biting. 

John - SLC, UT

2 XLs, Large, Medium, MM, and Mini