Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella

Options
2»

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:
    Now that's socarrat!  Most excellently done.

Seeing pics of your  cooks and outdoor kitchen is very soothing :)
    Consistant socarrat has been my biggest challenge on paella.  Thanks formthe fork tip. 

I don't know what's more impressive, your post or your outdoor kitchen. I bought a paella pan two years ago and still have never taken the leap. This definitely motivated me though. Maybe I'll try before another two years passes, 
    Go ahead and give it a shot. I have had very good on my large. On your first few, you are better off w chicken and sausage, as the timing needs to be pretty precise w seafood to keep from hammering it while you try to get your socarrat (voice of experience there)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Knew this would be epic and it didn't disappoint. Did you share those bottles of wine with the Aggies D last night??? That was tough to watch.
    Snellville, GA

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Awesome cook.  I've had this dish in Barcelona and yours looks every bit as good!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Looks great, I'm envious of your fire.  Did you happen to use bomba?
    Absolutely. Bomba rice. Spanish chorizo. Smoked paprika. Quality saffron. Homemade chicken broth. I think paella in particular is one dish where the use of high quality ingredients is very noticable. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @20stone The fork thing works. You'll have to learn how "sticky" to let it become. Also, I don't know if you do this, but cover the paella with a dish cloth when you pull it from the fire and let it steam for 5-10 minutes. I believe it let's the socarrat loosen so that it's easier to scrape with a spatula. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Knew this would be epic and it didn't disappoint. Did you share those bottles of wine with the Aggies D last night??? That was tough to watch.
    Why do you think I was drinking????
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina Thanks. I've never actually had paella anywhere else. Glad to know it looks right. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Why do you think I was drinking????
    That was painful.
    SciAggie said:
    @JohnInCarolina Thanks. I've never actually had paella anywhere else. Glad to know it looks right. 
    Here you go:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Here you go:

That looks crazy good. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Beautiful cook and I'm in awe of your outdoor kitchen
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • SciAggie
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    Beautiful cook and I'm in awe of your outdoor kitchen
    Thank you. We are enjoying the kitchen very much. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    There are just so many awesome things about this cook! Love the setup and food looks terrific. Very cool to have the kids home, I'm sure, and that some of the guests were able to enjoy paella for the first time. Really wonderful.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    bjeans said:
    Foghorn said:
    Dude.  That looks so good I'd want to treat the whole pan as my plate.
    You'd have to fight me for it. (I would fight like a girl.) What a beautiful kitchen and cook and event. 

Beth
    Bring it.  You don't scare me @bjeans.   :o

Great advice on starting with chicken and sausage.  That may be what will get me, and apparently several others, to take the plunge.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Awesome cook! I'm sure you blew those kids away . Way to go, Dad!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    That looks wonderful!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe