Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatopia - London meat festival. LOADS OF MEATY PHOTOS!

Options
Went to Meatopia today - 3 day meat festival in London, with restaurants from all over the world attending. Pretty impressed with most of what I ate. Thought I'd share and add some photos. Lots of smaller taster meals.

This 'pork tomahawk' was pretty tasty. Beautifully rendered layer of pig fat. Lady-run restaurant from Wales - they said their weekends are booked up solidly til Christmas.

The place serving this brisket burger had the longest queue of the day. And well worth it. Was amazing. The gravy and dripping mop made the bun so much tastier - will have to try that when I finally get round to cooking a brisket. They had an impressive smoker, which can be seen in the back of the photo - a big black box.

This black burger from Tommi's (London burger joint) was also amazing - had 21 different beef cuts in it, brisket and bone marrow. Seriously delicious. 

I was bowled over with these 'Sugar pit bacon racks'. Now I REALLY need to find a recipe (suggestions welcome. I may start another thread about them). Made by a Chef from Brazil - I asked how he made them and he roughly told me but I didn't get all of it. Coated in 4 types of sugar and left for a week, then coated in a syrup and smoked in a pit made from breeze blocks for 3 hrs. They were like candied pig, but unlike candy bacon I liked that they were big soft cubes. 

Big Green Egg had an area where you could book a tasting experience (basically, 3 small courses) but places were very limited and it didn't involve a cooking demo so I didn't bother. 

There were several stalls using BGEs though, such as Hix which did some amazing beef cheeks which they said they cured for 10 days, steamed in the BGE then grilled. Perfect.

This mackerel was also great and quite simply flame grilled - reminds me I should cook more fish myself

And here's a few more random photos.

I was lucky enough to get free tickets through a friend, but it's normally £35 entry and each dish is £5.50. Quite expensive when you factor in entry, but all the tasters were worth the £5.50 a piece and the venue was pretty good. All the cooks being super friendly made it worthwhile too - sharing how they make their dishes.

The only stall without a queue was poor celeb chef Ottolenghi - he was making grilled celeriac with cabbage. It actually looked really good, but for the same price as a juicy brisket roll and every other dish, going veggie was a hard choice to make.

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Truly awesome! 
    Snellville, GA

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Those photos were amazing!  I agree, that sounds like one expensive gig, but WOW, it all looked spectacular!  Thanks for sharing!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Very cool!  Thanks for sharing!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TheToast
    Options
    Worth saying - between my wife and I (and our 3yr old) we bought 10 dishes, so that's only £55. Eating out at most of the restaurants we sampled would be £100 for two people, so it was good value. (Other than a couple of places like the burger joint which naturally are pretty cheap)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
     Very cool. Meatopia came to San Antonio a couple of years ago. @nolaegghead and I both went. It was great. The entry fee was higher but everything was free once you were in. It looks like they've cranked it up a notch since then. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Cool event! Thanks for sharing so many pix.

Is Meatopia an annual event or was this just a special event?

That's funny about Ottolenghi. I have a few of his cookbooks and like his stuff (I'm flipping thru his book "Jerusalem" to make something later this holiday weekend) but I guess when you show up at a CarnivoreFest and aren't offering meat it should be no surprise if most folks are looking elsewhere. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TheToast
    Options
    Meatopia is annual in London - first time I've been. Didn't realise it's a global thing. I'd recommend for people who want to taste loads of different things and get some tips and ideas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That is awesome! Great pics! Probably puts an Eggfest to shame!

NYC has one too...
    Big Apple Barbecue Block Party

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I thought a guy in NYC started it.  Maybe that's just in the US.
    Thanks for sharing... looked like a great event I would enjoy. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Foghorn said:
     Very cool. Meatopia came to San Antonio a couple of years ago. @nolaegghead and I both went. It was great. The entry fee was higher but everything was free once you were in. It looks like they've cranked it up a notch since then. 
    I remember (somehow) we sprung for a VIP package where we got free drinks and Dickel Bourbon (or someone like that) also sponsored.  All you can drink before hurling meat!
    Options
    Impressive and nice write up!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Options
    Wow looks like a good day to me! 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Looks like a good time with great eats! Thanks for sharing the nice pics and write up.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@TheToast

Fantastic post.  Thanks for sharing this cool experience.

Phoenix 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Looks good @TheToast, bit far away for us and expensive if you add in the train fare as well as the ticket.
  • Eoin
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    ........That's funny about Ottolenghi. I have a few of his cookbooks and like his stuff (I'm flipping thru his book "Jerusalem" to make something later this holiday weekend) but I guess when you show up at a CarnivoreFest and aren't offering meat it should be no surprise if most folks are looking elsewhere. :)
    Never been a fan of Ottolenghi and doing veggie dishes as a meat festival seems a bit strange. My go to for North African / Middle Eastern cookery is Claudia Roden, her books are worth getting.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    That is awesome! Great pics! Probably puts an Eggfest to shame!

NYC has one too...
    Big Apple Barbecue Block Party
    Eggzactly
    New Albany, Ohio 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Eoin said:
    HeavyG said:
    ........That's funny about Ottolenghi. I have a few of his cookbooks and like his stuff (I'm flipping thru his book "Jerusalem" to make something later this holiday weekend) but I guess when you show up at a CarnivoreFest and aren't offering meat it should be no surprise if most folks are looking elsewhere. :)
    Never been a fan of Ottolenghi and doing veggie dishes as a meat festival seems a bit strange. My go to for North African / Middle Eastern cookery is Claudia Roden, her books are worth getting.
    I have her book about Jewish food that came out a couple decades ago. I'll check out her books about Middle East/North African cooking.

EDIT: Amazon tells me I bought her "The New Book of Middle Eastern Food..." about a decade ago. Apparently I haven't cracked that open in many years because I had forgotten I had that.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eoin
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Eoin said:
    HeavyG said:
    I have her book about Jewish food that came out a couple decades ago. I'll check out her books about Middle East/North African cooking.

EDIT: Amazon tells me I bought her "The New Book of Middle Eastern Food..." about a decade ago. Apparently I haven't cracked that open in many years because I had forgotten I had that.
    I have too many cook books as well!
  • TheToast
    Options
    Apparently Ottolenghi did pork neck the next day! More like it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wow! That is a great post. Thanks for sharing. Some amazing looking grub there. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Thanks for the post, pics and descriptions.  What a carnivore playground.  Some incredible dishes served up.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.