Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which sous vide circulator?

Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe Posts: 223
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum
Does it matter ?  What say you eggheads? I see a lot of hit and miss reviews on the Anova / wifi and units dying. Which brand/brands would you suggest? Would like to keep it under $200

Rod
Tulare, CA - Large BGE

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have an Anova and you'll get lots of recs for that. Joule is good too. Most any are fine, it comes down to features. Personally, I don't need wifi or Bluetooth. Just bag it, stick it in, and go to town.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I have a few different makes. They all heat water, they all circulate water. 

Here's a vid review of a few models from a fellow whose channel I enjoy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0kYt3GFFuo&t=171s

Anova was supposedly releasing some new models right about now but I haven't heard if they have (not that I have been paying close attention anyway).

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I am happy with my Anova.  I don't see a need for wifi for this so Bluetooth was fine for me (actually manual would be fine but they don't make one).  Joule has a good rep. Be aware that it needs a smartphone to operate. I normally start my Anova without using the smartphone app. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• I've had an Anova for a couple months and love it. I use it every week. I'm a bit of a techie, so personally, I love the wifi - I can fire it up from work and have it at temp when I get home. and the Pre-programmed cook temp and times are nice.

Joule looks to have many of the same features and it looks like their recipe database is a bit larger.

my 2 cents.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Anova user here. No complaints
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    happy with my anova.  never even used the wifi or bluetooth function (i forget which i have lol)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2017
    I have two of the ANOVA pipe models, still working just fine. (Pipes were the 1050W version prior to the 800W BT or the 900W WiFi)
    I'd look seriously at the unit offered by Instant Pot, they make a good electric pressure cooker. The price is right, that's for sure <$90US on Amazon.....
    EDIT - forgot, the unit will clamp to any pot, but if you own an Instant Pot, either the 6 or 8 qt pots can be used as sous vide tanks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I thought I'd eventually buy one, but started out with a Crock Pot for the heat source and a Digital Temp Controller to keep the temp where I wanted it. Holds temp +/- a degree or 2 and under $30 if you already have a non-programmable Crock Pot. Works fine if your food will fit in the pot. I used it a few times, but not that often.

I bought it mainly for steaks, desperate for one that wasn't tough! But it's been months since I used it last and unless that changes, I won't be buying the real deal. Finally figured out steaks so I don't need a 2-3 hour SV cook to tenderize. Only tried veggies a couple of times and for me, not worth the time. A 48 hour chuck roast is nice though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    edited August 2017
    Thanks everyone! Ordered an Anova - bluetooth model. Purchased direct from Anova - $116 delivered. Liked the Joule, but didn't like the "smartphone only" option to use it. It's a gift for my wife. She has been doing the "jar in a water bath" for eggs lately and really likes it. I had no idea she even knew what sous vide was!! LOL.

Any accessories that are a must have?
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    For a couple of years I just used an 8 qt. stockpot as a water vessel and it worked fine for a couple of steaks. Then @JohnInCarolina posted about sous vide ribs and they obviously wouldn't fit in the stockpot. I ended up cutting them in half and used a beer cooler which again worked. i ended up getting a couple of Cambro containers, one of which can handle the whole rack. This is the 12qt. I am using now on a rack of pork I will finish on the egg. While not necessary I find they work better than the stockpot.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I also use a 12qt Cambro container.  Don't forget to get a lid.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• I have a sous vide supreme and an old school Anova. Love them both but use the Sous Vide Supreme 95% of the time. That said, if I were only going to have one, I would go with an immersion circulator. They are more flexible and can be used in containers of all shapes and sizes. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I use a cheap 12 qt stock pot. It is SS but paper thin, cost was <$10. You could never really apply heat or open flame to it for any length of time without destroying it, but SV where the temps are <200ºF, it is ideal. Cut a hole in the lid and for long cooks, you can wrap a towel around the pot to keep the heat in. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!