Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- electrician help

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    Can you just screw the normal mounting bracket to the beam and then mount the fixture right to the bracket as if it was on a regular electric box

I tried but the wires make it uneven and off center. Technically it can be done (I did it) but it looks worse than the box. Also, the box is round and the trim plate of the fixture is rectangular. The whole thing looks like a soup sandwich.

I'll have to cut a make a rectangular trim box that goes around the pancake box so it sits flush on the beam and it has room for the wires. That will bring it up to code and will look as good as it can. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Sounds like you have a plan, post a pic when you get that far
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    Sounds like you have a plan, post a pic when you get that far

I'll take a few tonight and a few when I'm done. Hopefully I can pull it off and make it look good. I think I can make it work
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Shiplap. 'Nuff said. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Shiplap. 'Nuff said. 
    I had that quoted out when our guy did our kitchen and bath. Was pricey. Still may go that route but I may do it or at least parts of it myself. I have done some big projects before but it's been a while since I've taken on anything like that. It's up about 30 feet in some parts and I'm not a fan of ladders. Most likely just scrape the popcorn and re-texture and paint. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Shiplap. 'Nuff said. 
    I had that quoted out when our guy did our kitchen and bath. Was pricey. Still may go that route but I may do it or at least parts of it myself. I have done some big projects before but it's been a while since I've taken on anything like that. It's up about 30 feet in some parts and I'm not a fan of ladders. Most likely just scrape the popcorn and re-texture and paint. 
    Hi Chip! Say hi to Joanna.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Shiplap. 'Nuff said. 
    Something about her...
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Shiplap. 'Nuff said. 
    Something about her...
    That was Mary. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Shiplap. 'Nuff said. 
    Just friendly reminder- you should test the popcorn to make sure it doesn't contain asbestos. 

http://www.greenhomeguide.com/know-how/article/how-to-handle-a-popcorn-ceiling-that-may-contain-asbestos

That and spray pray a lot of water and cover everything.  It sticks like cement so don't wear anything you don't want to throw away. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    jeffwit said:
    Shiplap. 'Nuff said. 
    Just friendly reminder- you should test the popcorn to make sure it doesn't contain asbestos. 

http://www.greenhomeguide.com/know-how/article/how-to-handle-a-popcorn-ceiling-that-may-contain-asbestos

That and spray pray a lot of water and cover everything.  It sticks like cement so don't wear anything you don't want to throw away. 
    If it does happen to have asbestos you could make some great gaskets with it.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Legume said:
    Wolfpack said:
    jeffwit said:
    Shiplap. 'Nuff said. 

If it does happen to have asbestos you could make some great gaskets with it.
    Beta Rutlands?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Kind of like our old home before reworking and rebuilding, Asbestos everywhere, covered in lead paint.
    Do we know how to pick them, or what?
    Did you hear that sound? That is the sound money makes traveling at WARP Speed 10, as it flys out the window.
    Beam me down Scottie. Large glass please, no ice.
    SMDH.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i think i would just put the light or fan back up the way it was, looks pretty darn solid to me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it