Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First Attempt at Suckling Pig

I made my first stab at a whole pig on the XL Egg this weekend.  I have to give kudos to Tom, the butcher, at Stover Family Farms in Richland County, OH.  If you are in the Central Ohio area check them out.  Top notch service!  Tom hooked me up with a 44 lb. pig for a church social this weekend.  We did a Hawaiian Luau themed dinner.  The pig wasn't the only protein, but we served smallish portions to be sure everyone got some.  The 

The morning of the cook I rinsed him down with the hose outside and then rubbed generously with vegetable oil and kosher salt and then onto the Egg that was pre-heated to 250 degrees.  I cooked the pig indirect at 250 for a bit under 10 hours until the Thermapen read 145 degrees deep in the hams.  Turned out delicious.  
XL  Central Ohio

Comments

  • LegumeLegume Posts: 8,205
    That's just too cool.  Someday I'll try this, someday.
    Austin, TX
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 6,332
    Awesome!!!
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 8,205
    @SciAggie

    Got Pig?
    Austin, TX
  • Great presentation. This looks awesome. 

    "Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

    South of Nashville, TN

  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 3,564
    Legume said:
    @SciAggie

    Got Pig?
    Lol. I have been looking at this thread and weighing my options...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven.
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 12,238
    SciAggie said:
    Legume said:
    @SciAggie

    Got Pig?
    Lol. I have been looking at this thread and weighing my options...
    I see another cooking device in @SciAggie marvelous palace of cooking.....I struggle to buy a cooler at Walmart, he adds a NASA designed solid fuel cooking device to his palatial estate. Not only will he cook it, it will be done in like 3 minutes, using a Flux capacitor to smoke it perfectly with.
    I got a deal though on this cooler, though.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 3,564
    YukonRon said:
    SciAggie said:
    Legume said:
    @SciAggie

    Got Pig?
    Lol. I have been looking at this thread and weighing my options...
    I see another cooking device in @SciAggie marvelous palace of cooking.....I struggle to buy a cooler at Walmart, he adds a NASA designed solid fuel cooking device to his palatial estate. Not only will he cook it, it will be done in like 3 minutes, using a Flux capacitor to smoke it perfectly with.
    I got a deal though on this cooler, though.
    I'll invite you over. Bring the cooler. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven.
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 12,238
    SciAggie said:
    YukonRon said:
    SciAggie said:
    Legume said:
    @SciAggie

    Got Pig?
    Lol. I have been looking at this thread and weighing my options...
    I see another cooking device in @SciAggie marvelous palace of cooking.....I struggle to buy a cooler at Walmart, he adds a NASA designed solid fuel cooking device to his palatial estate. Not only will he cook it, it will be done in like 3 minutes, using a Flux capacitor to smoke it perfectly with.
    I got a deal though on this cooler, though.
    I'll invite you over. Bring the cooler. 
    It's a nice cooler.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TheophanTheophan Posts: 2,127
    Spectacular!  Gorgeous presentation!  How was it -- I bet it was wonderful.
  • RoebuckRoebuck Posts: 44
    That is amazing! Looks terrific!
    Birmingham, Ala.
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,468
    Excellent job!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The_StacheThe_Stache Posts: 819
    Nice job!!!  Now I need to find a ~20 pounder to try on my Large!

    In a full time state of entropious nebulinity as Head Brewmeister and Chief Flatulator @ Rancho Loco Brewery and Flatutorium, Kirkland, TN

  • looks like you nailed it.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 2,971
    Bravo ...always a fun cook. If you do another after you get a few hours of smoke, pull it and wrap in foil, you will get closer to 200 quicker and fall apart...great job. Did one Saturday myself ( not egged) @The_Stache on the large try a Pig Head, still a fun cook and plenty of good meat


    Visalia, Ca
  • UncleBillyUncleBilly Posts: 194
    Thanks for the tip @lkapigian!  I'll probably do another one at some point.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • The_StacheThe_Stache Posts: 819
    lkapigian said:
    Bravo ...always a fun cook. If you do another after you get a few hours of smoke, pull it and wrap in foil, you will get closer to 200 quicker and fall apart...great job. Did one Saturday myself ( not egged) @The_Stache on the large try a Pig Head, still a fun cook and plenty of good meat


    Loves me some good pork cheeks!!

    In a full time state of entropious nebulinity as Head Brewmeister and Chief Flatulator @ Rancho Loco Brewery and Flatutorium, Kirkland, TN

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.