Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt at Suckling Pig

Options
I made my first stab at a whole pig on the XL Egg this weekend.  I have to give kudos to Tom, the butcher, at Stover Family Farms in Richland County, OH.  If you are in the Central Ohio area check them out.  Top notch service!  Tom hooked me up with a 44 lb. pig for a church social this weekend.  We did a Hawaiian Luau themed dinner.  The pig wasn't the only protein, but we served smallish portions to be sure everyone got some.  The 

The morning of the cook I rinsed him down with the hose outside and then rubbed generously with vegetable oil and kosher salt and then onto the Egg that was pre-heated to 250 degrees.  I cooked the pig indirect at 250 for a bit under 10 hours until the Thermapen read 145 degrees deep in the hams.  Turned out delicious.  
XL  Central Ohio

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That's just too cool.  Someday I'll try this, someday.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Awesome!!!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Great presentation. This looks awesome. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Legume said:
    @SciAggie

Got Pig?
    Lol. I have been looking at this thread and weighing my options...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Legume said:
    @SciAggie

Got Pig?
    I see another cooking device in @SciAggie marvelous palace of cooking.....I struggle to buy a cooler at Walmart, he adds a NASA designed solid fuel cooking device to his palatial estate. Not only will he cook it, it will be done in like 3 minutes, using a Flux capacitor to smoke it perfectly with.
    I got a deal though on this cooler, though.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    SciAggie said:
    Legume said:
    @SciAggie

Got Pig?
    I see another cooking device in @SciAggie marvelous palace of cooking.....I struggle to buy a cooler at Walmart, he adds a NASA designed solid fuel cooking device to his palatial estate. Not only will he cook it, it will be done in like 3 minutes, using a Flux capacitor to smoke it perfectly with.
    I'll invite you over. Bring the cooler. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    YukonRon said:
    SciAggie said:
    Legume said:
    @SciAggie

Got Pig?
    I'll invite you over. Bring the cooler. 
    It's a nice cooler.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Spectacular!  Gorgeous presentation!  How was it -- I bet it was wonderful.
  • Roebuck
    Roebuck Posts: 45
    Options
    That is amazing! Looks terrific!
    Birmingham, Ala.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Excellent job!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Nice job!!!  Now I need to find a ~20 pounder to try on my Large!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    looks like you nailed it.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Bravo ...always a fun cook. If you do another after you get a few hours of smoke, pull it and wrap in foil, you will get closer to 200 quicker and fall apart...great job. Did one Saturday myself ( not egged) @The_Stache on the large try a Pig Head, still a fun cook and plenty of good meat

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    Thanks for the tip @lkapigian!  I'll probably do another one at some point.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Bravo ...always a fun cook. If you do another after you get a few hours of smoke, pull it and wrap in foil, you will get closer to 200 quicker and fall apart...great job. Did one Saturday myself ( not egged) @The_Stache on the large try a Pig Head, still a fun cook and plenty of good meat

Loves me some good pork cheeks!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM