Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New Orleans Restaurant Recommendations

I'm originally from Louisiana  (Lake Charles), but I've been on the WC for 30 years and don't make it home as often as I'd like.  A friend has a trip next week for a few days to New Orleans and Baton Rouge and is looking for restaurant suggestions so I'd like to steer him in the right direction.  Thanks in advance.
SoCal  XL BGE 2016, MES, 18.5 WSM,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 

Comments

• 1voyager1voyager Posts: 324
    Acme Oyster House. Their specialty is grilled oysters. Amazing. 
    Somewhere in Colorado
    LBGE, PGS A40 Gasser
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,167
    @nolaegghead 's house.............Download the No Wait App, most of what is "popular' have long waits
    Visalia, Ca
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 3,136
    When I was there for HBPExpo last year, I went to Cochon for lunch, KPauls for dinner, and Acme for lunch.  All were good, but KPauls was the best by far--blackened drum was fantastic.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 27,193
    nomenu.com

• henapplehenapple Posts: 15,986
    Bourbon House.... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,580
    On a "great meal at a reasonable price" level, The Gumbo Shop is our go-to place.  When I ask cab drivers and hotel desk employees, etc where to go, that's the #1 answer I get still today and the first time they told me about it was in the early 1990s.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

edited August 2017
    I'd also highly recommend the Bourbon Cowboy. No food but I managed to watch a rather large African American woman riding a mechanical bull topless....at 3 in the afternoon. Gotta love Nola. And yes, I have pics. 
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,623
    Court of Two Sisters for Sunday brunch.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Breakfast - Slim Goodies
    Lunch - Domilise's
    Dinner - Drago's

Your welcome
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 2,556
    I love these threads.
    NOLA
    bgebrent said:
    Court of Two Sisters for Sunday brunch.
    @bgebrent, please enlighten me.  I've been.  It's good.  Compared to the rest of the food options in New Orleans I didn't find it worthy of a repeat visit.  It's more of a "glad I went once, but don't need to go back" place.  However, my wife sees it as a "must do" and wants to go there every time we visit.  I don't have the courage to question her so instead I'm questioning a guy on the internet who I haven't met yet - but I hope we can remedy that soon.  What am I missing?

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

@Foghorn.... I felt the same about Drago's... 
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,623
    Good food, good drinks, great ambiance if the weather is good.  Great 3 man string group.  The food was very good.  The ambiance and mimosa's make it worthy for me.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • @henapple the charbroiled oysters are a gift from the gods.
    Dragos has gone down-hill some since the old man died.  Still, the oysters are among the best.  Acme is totally acceptable as a replacement.

Since it's off-season here, you can not beat these prix-fixe deals that are part of the "Coolinary" months of summer:

http://www.coolinaryneworleans.com/coolinary-restaurants/

Saw a place on the news one time where all the waiters wear tuxedos and have worked there for generations.  And you always have the same waiter regardless where you sit.  Reminds me of a very hidden old money restaurant here in STL.  What's the story on it?
  • @stlcharcoal Arnaud's in the Quarter. If you don't have a jacket, you have to rent one from them!
    Dragos has gone down-hill some since the old man died.  Still, the oysters are among the best.  Acme is totally acceptable as a replacement.

Since it's off-season here, you can not beat these prix-fixe deals that are part of the "Coolinary" months of summer:

http://www.coolinaryneworleans.com/coolinary-restaurants/

Boucherie is participating and they have Krispy Kreme bread pudding on their coolinary (and obviously regular) menu.  I'm just saying...

San Antonio, TX

• epcotisbestepcotisbest Posts: 1,962
    I know it is the touristy thing to do, but I still dream about the muffuletta sandwich with some Zapps chips and a Barq's root beer at Central Grocery.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,043
    @henapple said:
    I'd also highly recommend the Bourbon Cowboy. No food but I managed to watch a rather large African American woman riding a mechanical bull topless....at 3 in the afternoon. Gotta love Nola. And yes, I have pics. 
    I'm just curious if you were sure you saw a woman and not a T.  And I don't need the pics...  ;)

Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
    lousubcap said:
    @henapple said:
    I'm just curious if you were sure you saw a woman and not a T.  And I don't need the pics...  ;)

Tony was staying at my crib when he saw that.  I have pics too.

Understandably, it was a challenge to get anything in focus.

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,043
    So I am guessing the correct gender has been validated.   Musta been epic.  

Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • SSQUAL612SSQUAL612 Posts: 967
    edited August 2017
    henapple said:
    My friend will have his 13yo daughter with him so he'll probably have to pass on the Bourbon Cowboy.
    SoCal  XL BGE 2016, MES, 18.5 WSM,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
    lousubcap said:
    So I am guessing the correct gender has been validated.   Musta been epic.  

It was during Essence Fest, not Decadence Fest, so I don't see any reason to suspect otherwise more than I would suspect you of conversion.

• kbr718kbr718 Posts: 69
    Pascale Manale's for BBQ Shrimp
    Parasol's for Roast Beef Po-Boys
    Morning Call for Beignets and cafe au lait (better than Cafe du Monde)

LBGE Chicago, IL
  • @stlcharcoal Arnaud's in the Quarter. If you don't have a jacket, you have to rent one from them!
    One of my favorites in New Orleans. 
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 2,556
    edited August 2017
    @stlcharcoal Arnaud's in the Quarter. If you don't have a jacket, you have to rent one from them!
    Jackets preferred but not required at Arnaud's.  I believe the only place that will still require and loan you a jacket is Galatoire's.  And possibly Commander's at dinner.
    NOLA
    buzd504 said:
    @stlcharcoal Arnaud's in the Quarter. If you don't have a jacket, you have to rent one from them!
    Jackets preferred but not required at Arnaud's.  I believe the only place that will still require and loan you a jacket is Galatoire's.  And possibly Commander's at dinner.
    And Galatoire's will loan you a jacket.  They come with free fauna.

I think it was Commanders that the story was about.  Reminded me a lot of Al's Restaurant here in STL.  Al's on the other hand is kind of a hidden gem.  100 yrs old and there's never been a printed menu in the place.  Sinatra's favorite restaurant when his visited our town......he had a reserved table in the back and they would make a filet Mignon for is dog that dined at his side.