Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Orleans Restaurant Recommendations

Options
SSQUAL612
SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
I'm originally from Louisiana  (Lake Charles), but I've been on the WC for 30 years and don't make it home as often as I'd like.  A friend has a trip next week for a few days to New Orleans and Baton Rouge and is looking for restaurant suggestions so I'd like to steer him in the right direction.  Thanks in advance.
Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 

Comments

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Acme Oyster House. Their specialty is grilled oysters. Amazing. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    @nolaegghead 's house.............Download the No Wait App, most of what is "popular' have long waits
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    When I was there for HBPExpo last year, I went to Cochon for lunch, KPauls for dinner, and Acme for lunch.  All were good, but KPauls was the best by far--blackened drum was fantastic.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    nomenu.com
    Options
    Bourbon House.... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    On a "great meal at a reasonable price" level, The Gumbo Shop is our go-to place.  When I ask cab drivers and hotel desk employees, etc where to go, that's the #1 answer I get still today and the first time they told me about it was in the early 1990s.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'd also highly recommend the Bourbon Cowboy. No food but I managed to watch a rather large African American woman riding a mechanical bull topless....at 3 in the afternoon. Gotta love Nola. And yes, I have pics. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Court of Two Sisters for Sunday brunch.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ScarletFire
    Options
    Breakfast - Slim Goodies
    Lunch - Domilise's
    Dinner - Drago's

Your welcome
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I love these threads.
    NOLA
  • Foghorn
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Court of Two Sisters for Sunday brunch.
    @bgebrent, please enlighten me.  I've been.  It's good.  Compared to the rest of the food options in New Orleans I didn't find it worthy of a repeat visit.  It's more of a "glad I went once, but don't need to go back" place.  However, my wife sees it as a "must do" and wants to go there every time we visit.  I don't have the courage to question her so instead I'm questioning a guy on the internet who I haven't met yet - but I hope we can remedy that soon.  What am I missing?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Foghorn.... I felt the same about Drago's... 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good food, good drinks, great ambiance if the weather is good.  Great 3 man string group.  The food was very good.  The ambiance and mimosa's make it worthy for me.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ScarletFire
    Options
    @henapple the charbroiled oysters are a gift from the gods.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Dragos has gone down-hill some since the old man died.  Still, the oysters are among the best.  Acme is totally acceptable as a replacement.

Since it's off-season here, you can not beat these prix-fixe deals that are part of the "Coolinary" months of summer:

http://www.coolinaryneworleans.com/coolinary-restaurants/

Options
    Saw a place on the news one time where all the waiters wear tuxedos and have worked there for generations.  And you always have the same waiter regardless where you sit.  Reminds me of a very hidden old money restaurant here in STL.  What's the story on it?
  • ScarletFire
    Options
    @stlcharcoal Arnaud's in the Quarter. If you don't have a jacket, you have to rent one from them!
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Dragos has gone down-hill some since the old man died.  Still, the oysters are among the best.  Acme is totally acceptable as a replacement.

Since it's off-season here, you can not beat these prix-fixe deals that are part of the "Coolinary" months of summer:

http://www.coolinaryneworleans.com/coolinary-restaurants/

Boucherie is participating and they have Krispy Kreme bread pudding on their coolinary (and obviously regular) menu.  I'm just saying...

San Antonio, TX

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    I know it is the touristy thing to do, but I still dream about the muffuletta sandwich with some Zapps chips and a Barq's root beer at Central Grocery.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @henapple said:
    I'd also highly recommend the Bourbon Cowboy. No food but I managed to watch a rather large African American woman riding a mechanical bull topless....at 3 in the afternoon. Gotta love Nola. And yes, I have pics. 
    I'm just curious if you were sure you saw a woman and not a T.  And I don't need the pics...  ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @henapple said:
    I'm just curious if you were sure you saw a woman and not a T.  And I don't need the pics...  ;)

Tony was staying at my crib when he saw that.  I have pics too.
    Options
    Understandably, it was a challenge to get anything in focus.
    Options
    So I am guessing the correct gender has been validated.   Musta been epic.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited August 2017
    Options
    henapple said:
    My friend will have his 13yo daughter with him so he'll probably have to pass on the Bourbon Cowboy.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    So I am guessing the correct gender has been validated.   Musta been epic.  

It was during Essence Fest, not Decadence Fest, so I don't see any reason to suspect otherwise more than I would suspect you of conversion.
    Options
    Pascale Manale's for BBQ Shrimp
    Parasol's for Roast Beef Po-Boys
    Morning Call for Beignets and cafe au lait (better than Cafe du Monde)

LBGE Chicago, IL
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    @stlcharcoal Arnaud's in the Quarter. If you don't have a jacket, you have to rent one from them!
    One of my favorites in New Orleans. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Jackets preferred but not required at Arnaud's.  I believe the only place that will still require and loan you a jacket is Galatoire's.  And possibly Commander's at dinner.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Jackets preferred but not required at Arnaud's.  I believe the only place that will still require and loan you a jacket is Galatoire's.  And possibly Commander's at dinner.
    And Galatoire's will loan you a jacket.  They come with free fauna.
    Options
    I think it was Commanders that the story was about.  Reminded me a lot of Al's Restaurant here in STL.  Al's on the other hand is kind of a hidden gem.  100 yrs old and there's never been a printed menu in the place.  Sinatra's favorite restaurant when his visited our town......he had a reserved table in the back and they would make a filet Mignon for is dog that dined at his side.