Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Alternative to Brisket?

MattBTIMattBTI Posts: 328
After reading some posts recently about whether or not brisket is worth the time and energy, has anybody experimented with using a different cut, but cooking in the same manner. Brisket has seemingly followed a similar phenomenon as chicken wings and legs, what were once unwanted discards have become the most prized portion of the animal. 

That being said, has anybody taken a cheaper cut of beef, such as a chuck roast or something similar and cooked it in a manner similar to brisket with good results?
Pratt, KS

Comments

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 7,992
    Beef Brisket...there is no substitute...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 12,192
    Dare I say Prime Rib? 
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 2,560
    Chuck roast works, although it doesn't get quite as tender as brisket.  Most people around here finish it with a braise and take it to about 210 and pull it.
    NOLA
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 27,259
    Short ribs, chuck roast and clods all get cooked the same way, as they have plenty of tough connective tissue that needs to break down. 

Most other cuts are grilled or roasted to medium rare. 

• saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 3,868
    Short ribs are like brisket on a stick and I've made burnt ends out of chuck roast.
    Large and Small BGE
    Morton, IL

• stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 3,144
    Pulled beef with Chuck roast is always good and half the time.  There used to be a recipe here from Clay Q? 
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,073
    Below is a link to the Clay Q pulled beef:
    https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/clays-pulled-beef/  Another winner is pepper stout beef.  
    If all you want is a beef flavor then plate/short ribs get close with brisket on a stick.  But those cooks are too easy  ;)
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,195
    edited August 2017
    Chuck Roll/Clod best bang for the buck, I do cook it to shredded and I usually feed an army..the ones I get average 25-30 pounds and they are as forgiving as a Butt...If you are only feeding a few, can't beat chuck roast pulled---Or by the whole roll, break it down and freeze it
    Visalia, Ca
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,886
    Short ribs are great. They are not cheaper per lb, especially when you consider the bone. However, you can buy them in a smaller quantity. I have found the giant slabs of short ribs but you usually have to buy two slabs. I have also cooked the smaller "standard" short ribs and I think they are just as good. By standard I mean the ribs that look like these:

Image result for short ribs

I haven't been to Costco in a while but they used to sell boneless short ribs that looked good. I think those would be great for burnt ends. 

As others mentioned, pulled beef from a chuck roast is great. This is my favorite recipe:
    http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 23,153
    im a fan of the huge beef back ribs, problem is finding them with good meat and no shiner bones showing thru. maybe 1 in a thousand
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,592
    im a fan of the huge beef back ribs, problem is finding them with good meat and no shiner bones showing thru. maybe 1 in a thousand
    Like this?   I actually had the butcher cut the ribs in half to get down to this size.  

As opposed to this:

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,073
    @fishlessman - I'm with you regarding beef back ribs.  But as you note, finding a rack of meaty ones is quite a challenge.  However, I do not let that stand in the way of throwing $$ at bones on occasion.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,886
    I agree the short ribs have more meat, but the back ribs are pretty good as well and they are usually cheap. That is definitely another alternative if you can't find shorties. In my area back ribs seem to be a little more common. I see them at most grocery stores and wal-mart. Short ribs are a little harder to find. 

@Foghorn those short ribs are gorgeous. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 23,153

cant get to my back rib pics, pbucket hostage :D

• gpsegggpsegg Posts: 411
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • StormbringerStormbringer Posts: 1,257
    @Foghorn damn now I'm hungry again. 
    Large BGE and MMX, both with platesetter and cast iron grid. Superpeel for pizza, iDevice for temperature.
    Cooking on the large in deepest, darkest England since Oct 2015. MMX added to the family Mar 2016.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff http://www.thecooksdigest.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------

• cant get to my back rib pics, pbucket hostage :D

Right there with you. #neveragain 
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,592
    Thanks @SmokeyPitt and @Stormbringer.

One of these times I'm going to not have the ribs cut in half and cook giant dinosaur ribs.  But I always feel compelled to cook at least one per person and they aren't cheap.  Plus most people won't eat a whole rib, given that the ones in the picture are 1/2 size.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• SSQUAL612SSQUAL612 Posts: 972
    Short ribs are like brisket on a stick and I've made burnt ends out of chuck roast.
    How were the burnt ends?  Will you make them again?
    SoCal  XL BGE 2016, MES, 18.5 WSM,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen