Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The bone marrow experiment part 2 ... best steak we've had to date (with pics)

Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,062
edited July 2017 in Beef
Last weekend we did an experiment with bone marrow and reverse seared rib-eye. It was up there with some of the best steak we'd tasted, yet I thought it could be improved by changing the technique somewhat. This mainly revolved around a picture that @Mickey put up with a cast iron surface over the lit lump and someone else mentioning a butter bath.

After failing to find an off the shelf CI surface for the MMX I acquired a Lodge pancake pan and cut the handle off with an angle grinder. This gave a perfect 10.5" diameter searing surface.

I cooked the ribeye and marrowbone at 125C/250F until the IT of the meat was 120F. Pulled and FTCed, I removed the PS and placed the CI surface onto the SS grid to get to 300C/570F searing temp. Scraped out the marrow from the bone then put this onto the hot CI surface, let it melt and then added on the ribeye. Seared for 30 secs each side in the bone marrow bath to really get the flavour in.

I then removed the CI surface and seared the steak on the SS grid for 15 secs each side. The bone marrow still on the surface dripped onto the coals, igniting and causing some flame sear and charcoal flavours.

Result - the best steak to date. Bone marrow flavours infused into the meat, charcoal notes and perfectly medium rare in the middle. This is now our go to steak.

@SamIAm2 - maybe give this one a try with your new rig. :D

Pictures are below, unfortunately the memory card failed in the camera after I removed the CI surface, so I subbed in a shot from a previous cook to give the visual effect.

Nice rib-eye ready with some fat trimmed off:

Rubbed with 2 tsp Cow Lick + 1 tsp Crossroads, this seems to work better with the marrow flavour than straight Cow Lick:

The Minimax setup. This is slightly different from last week, I used a foil food container on top and bent back the front so it didn't interfere with the temp gauge. Sweetcorn still on the bottom. The sweetcorn has butter and some Pineapple Head rub inside the foil. @Mickey we did try doing it seared directly during the week, it was good but it lost the Pineapple Head flavour.

Extracting the marrow from the bone using a skewer, and heat proof gloves:

Making sure that the CI surface is at temp with a heat gun:

Searing the first side in the bath of bone marrow:

Flipped and more marrow added, searing the second side:

DISASTER! The memory card failed. So this is a pic of searing over flame from a previous cook, it's the same principle:

Served shots, these were a bit rushed as SWMBO (aka the photographer) had to find another card and we didn't want the food to get cold:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments