Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Cordless Power Tools

Options
13»

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    RRP said:
    ColtsFan said:
    I got tired of buying batteries or running out of battery. I am slowly replacing my battery tools with electric. I can easily whip around a 100' extension cord 
    I hear you. BTW here is one of my prized possessions from when my late Father owned a blacksmith shop in IA. Back then it cost him an arm and leg. It's a 1/2" B & D drill which is now at least 75 years old. Yes, I rewired and polished it since I had to have the D handle repaired. It's one speed and the RPM is extremely slow, but the incredible torque makes it a beast! Once I loaned it to a neighbor to drill thru his poured concrete foundation and as I watched he did not have a firm enough grip on it when it must have hit a rebar sending the drill into a spin which honestly hurt my neighbor's arm badly when the cord twisted so tightly before he let loose of the trigger.

Ron that story had a much better ending than I thought it was going to. I witnessed a guy shatter his jaw doing the exact same thing. Those low rpm drills are no joke. Nice drill by the way.
    Yeah. I was using a hole hawg laying on my back and it almost  spun me off of the top of an elevator cab and down the shaft. 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Touque is a mofo. Glad it ended with you on top. 
    Snellville, GA

• Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, Milwaukee , Ridgid are all good, I would buy based on need, use, price. I have owned all along with Fein multimaster with great satisfaction.Some brands make better drills/drivers, some better saws,etc.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Kayak said:
    I'm not sure how you're going to fit a drill and screw between 8" joists?

If you have a compressor though, you can pickup a cheap 'palm nailer' and drive joist hanger nails all day. It also sounds cool. 

They feel kinda neat also. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I might get banned for this...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    edited June 2017
    Options
    DMW said:
    I might get banned for this...

XXL owners get a "Get out of jail free" card 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've had most of the major brands.  The biggest technological advances in cordless tools have been lithium ion batteries and brushless motors. 

Lithium ion batteries have high power density, high current delivery and longevity.  Brushless motors are 30-40% more efficient than brushed motors so it's like having more voltage or a larger battery.  Plus, no brushes to wear out.

Most of the popular contractor brands are making cheap consumer versions.  You get what you pay for with them.  Porter Cable, Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc are making some crap.  They work fine but won't stand up to daily commercial use as well as the average cordless tool.

Some of the high end stuff - Fein and Festool come to mind, make some really high tech brushless stuff, but it's not worth the price if you're a homeowner, and it's not durable enough for drunk, semi-skilled contractors that abuse their tools.  It's not a good value.  I think Festool is worth it (in spades) for me for their corded tools, but you pay for it, and they're precision tools, not especially made for durability.

I've found the best quality/feature/value combination is Ridgid.  They have a lifetime battery warranty, and they're really well made and relatively cheap.  And have a good power/weight ratio.

I have at least 13 of their cordless tools 18+ volt range, and about 10 of their lithium ion batteries.  They put lights in everything and I've abused most of them beyond the limits of design with no problem. 

I build a lot of stuff and have been doing it since I was about 10 years old.  I've seen a lot of crap - especially avoid Ryobi, although I haven't used anything newer than 5 years old so maybe that's not totally fair.  Just about everything is made in China now, although that really doesn't mean anything insofar as quality goes.  The Chinese can match the quality of almost anything medium-tech made anywhere, although I've never seen them make anything that beats top-of-the-line German tools.
    Options
    Ridgid owner here.  Bought into the lifetime warranty.  But just doesn't seem as smooth running as dewalts that I've borrowed.  My impact driver could barely get the oil filter off my car. (Toyota uses a reusable filter that's a pain)
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    I have a Milwaukee set that I bought a couple of months ago. I have the 18V drill and impact driver. I have used them a few times. They seem like they are going to be winners. The drill has 500 in. lbs. of torque. That was the highest on the shelf in its size and price range. It is plenty strong. Home Depot had some good Father's Day sales. I don't know if they still have them.
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Got a set of milwaukee with me tundra purchase 5 years ago, still going strong and I have added a few more
    In 46 years of selling Toyotas that was the best promotation I ever saw. Bet it makes it back in a year or two. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    RRP said:
    ColtsFan said:
    I got tired of buying batteries or running out of battery. I am slowly replacing my battery tools with electric. I can easily whip around a 100' extension cord 
    I hear you. BTW here is one of my prized possessions from when my late Father owned a blacksmith shop in IA. Back then it cost him an arm and leg. It's a 1/2" B & D drill which is now at least 75 years old. Yes, I rewired and polished it since I had to have the D handle repaired. It's one speed and the RPM is extremely slow, but the incredible torque makes it a beast! Once I loaned it to a neighbor to drill thru his poured concrete foundation and as I watched he did not have a firm enough grip on it when it must have hit a rebar sending the drill into a spin which honestly hurt my neighbor's arm badly when the cord twisted so tightly before he let loose of the trigger.

we have some really big low speed, high torque drills for expanding boiler tubes. seen one slip out of a guys hand, handle went into his pocket, and completely tore his bib coveralls off before it stopped spinning =) another not so funny, big beard got caught and twisted tearing out part of his beard and the skin on his chin =) actually that was funny too
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    camofreak said:
    I have a Milwaukee set that I bought a couple of months ago. I have the 18V drill and impact driver. I have used them a few times. They seem like they are going to be winners. The drill has 500 in. lbs. of torque. That was the highest on the shelf in its size and price range. It is plenty strong. Home Depot had some good Father's Day sales. I don't know if they still have them.
    No good sales. Appliances seem to be the biggest thing on sale for the 4th. 

• Bill_Swerski
    Options
    everyone seems to be loyal to their brand.  I burned through a DeWalt and a Makita before stepping up to Milwaukee, and there's no turning back for me.  they've been phenomenal.  
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    everyone seems to be loyal to their brand.  I burned through a DeWalt and a Makita before stepping up to Milwaukee, and there's no turning back for me.  they've been phenomenal.  
    I used to be a construction manager. I've seen every tool crap out. 
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    =) I have all the new Ridgid 18 volt tools and love them.  The real kicker, assuming you purchase at HD and register online, is the lifetime warranty on everything, INCLUDING BATTERIES!                                                                                                                                                                                               I am thinking this will be my last set of cordless tools. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I feel like the proverbial red-headed stepchild.  I have the Craftsman 19.2 volt system.  I bought them 3 years ago because I was in need and Sears is just a mile away from me...at least for now.  I burned out the reciprocating saw last year cutting scrubby trees from the fence row.  Meh.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I feel like the proverbial red-headed stepchild.  I have the Craftsman 19.2 volt system.  I bought them 3 years ago because I was in need and Sears is just a mile away from me...at least for now.  I burned out the reciprocating saw last year cutting scrubby trees from the fence row.  Meh.
    I thought you'd learned your lesson with saws Fred.  ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I had a 19.2 drill, 75th Anniversary edition.  Great drill, served me 10+ years.  Had a level on the end that was handy.  Got pissed one hot summer day trying to mount a flower box, and chucked it across the yard, breaking it.  Stupid Tax Day for sure.  Kept the bag for a good gun range bag.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    Legume said:
    I've got a bunch of ryobi 18v with small and large lion batteries.  Never had a problem with any of it, but I don't beat on it as heavily as some of you do. 
    Had a Ryobi drill that the batteries (18v) had died on from several years of the heat in my garage. Just wouldn't charge.

Boutgh a new Ryobi 18v edger/string trimmer and a new drill/impact driver over memorial weekend. The new batteries fit my older drill and hedge trimmer. I am not a real heavy user but the batteries fit any 18v Ryobi ever made. As long as you stay at the same voltage the newer batteries will always fit. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I thought you'd learned your lesson with saws Fred.  ;)
    Wilma says the scar gave me a "butt chin".  At least one of my chins, that is.
    Flint, Michigan
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I used to be a construction manager.

In that case you already know that harbor freight makes the best tools around.

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Festool. The best. Cost vs quality is worth it.
    I have used their tools in our lab and on work sights. Unbelievable quality compared to the Asian made craft tools.
    First time I used their light cordless drill, it was a beast, compared to the Dewalt I had at the time. Everything I have used of theirs has been a "wow" type moment for me.
    Well built and ergonomically correct for any job.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @DoubleEgger dewalt is the special buy at homedepot today might be able to save some money. http://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy/SpecialBuyOfTheDay 
  • bearsgonefishin
    Options
    Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, Milwaukee , Ridgid are all good, I would buy based on need, use, price. I have owned all along with Fein multimaster with great satisfaction.Some brands make better drills/drivers, some better saws,etc.

Agree with this statement. hard to beat dewalt for impacts/hammer drills. worth it to get brushless. i think bosh and miluwakee make the best circular/reciprocating saws. if you are geting a reciprocating saw make i would purchase one with the option for different blade positions. alot of times the bundles dont have this model just FYI.

Dewalt also has a cordless min shop vac that works extremely well to clean out the egg....

LBGE

North East Florida

Go Jags

What I would like for every football team to do that we play is to sit there and say, ‘I hate playing against these guys' -Nick Saban