Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Cordless Power Tools

Options

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    If you use them regularly, and money is no issue, Dewalt. Ask us again in 15-20 years. 
    Snellville, GA

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I have a milwaukee 18v drill i have beat to death and it still works perfectly like new after 6 years.

On the flipside, i have a harbor freight drill I have had smoke pouring out of and got it so hot I couldnt handle it with gloves on, still works great. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    I just bought Hitachi Lithium Ion 18V drill, impact and circular saw, really like them and the best part is they have a lifetime warranty !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,181
    Options
    If you use them regularly, and money is no issue, Dewalt. Ask us again in 15-20 years. 
    Within reason, money isn't an issue when it comes to tools. I'm not looking to save $50-100 and have to deal with a POS for the next decade. 
  • PlanoPokes79
    PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
    Options
    Festool or Panasonic have had them for years with millwork and construction use daily. Next step down 20v dewalt systems. Dewalt new 60v table saw and miter saw are awesome!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    You doing/planning some remodeling work?
    The azzhat who had this house before only used about half of the required joist hanger nails on the deck. Thank God Simpson makes a joist hanger screw. Using a hammer on joists with 8" centers would be miserable. The old drill only made it about 20'. 

And yes, remodeling work is in my future.  ;)
    Let me know when you're done, we'll tool by. ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I'm certainly no contractor and am just a homeowner, but I freaking LOVE the Ryobi One Plus 18v line.  I've got at least a dozen of their different tools and love every single one.  Drills, fans, lights, radio, stick edger, lawn trimmer, and my favorite ... the tire inflator!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • SouthGaSmoker
    Options
    20V Dewalt, love mine.
    St. Mary's, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    If money is no issue and one uses them regularly go with Festool.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    I got tired of buying batteries or running out of battery. I am slowly replacing my battery tools with electric. I can easily whip around a 100' extension cord 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I got tired of buying batteries or running out of battery. I am slowly replacing my battery tools with electric. I can easily whip around a 100' extension cord 
    With that Dewalt Flex Volt, you can run AC power in addition to the 20 or 60v batteries. That's the cat's meow. 
  • DoubleEgger
    edited June 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    You doing/planning some remodeling work?
    The azzhat who had this house before only used about half of the required joist hanger nails on the deck. Thank God Simpson makes a joist hanger screw. Using a hammer on joists with 8" centers would be miserable. The old drill only made it about 20'. 

And yes, remodeling work is in my future.  ;)
    Let me know when you're done, we'll tool by. ;)
    Tool on by and pick us up for dinner in late July.  ;)
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Got you brother 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Dewalt "Smoked out" I'll tell you that you likely only need to replace the $2-$15 per set brushes...unless you're just looking for the forum's approval to J.E.E.P. ...just empty every pocket. If that's the case Milwaukee and Makita both have a decent commercial usage line of cordless products and Bosch does have a "decent" impact drill. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Got you brother 
    You install your numbers?
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Dewalt "Smoked out" I'll tell you that you likely only need to replace the $2-$15 per set brushes...unless you're just looking for the forum's approval to J.E.E.P. ...just empty every pocket. If that's the case Milwaukee and Makita both have a decent commercial usage line of cordless products and Bosch does have a "decent" impact drill. 
    You know as much about refrigeration as you do battery powered hand tools.  If you could keep your posts within your knowledge base it might help us all.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I've already replaced the brushes in it a couple of times. I'm sure the com is gone. 
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Right before I retired, I bought several pieces of 18v Bosch and their cases.  Angle grinder, drill, impact driver, saber saw, reciprocating saw.  Can't go wrong.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    You know as much about refrigeration as you do battery powered hand tools.  If you could keep your posts within your knowledge base it might help us all.

@bgebrent You're right I know nothing...thanks for reminding me :grin:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Options
    I have an 18v Bosch drill, 12v pocket drill and Jig Saw.  All have been amazing and power has never been an issue.  
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

With all respect, it matters very little if someone has had good luck with a brand.  It isn't really like truck opinions.  Every couple of years the tool landscape / technology changes completely.  Gotta read current reviews by people who know what they are talking about.  AVE has been mentioned - and I concur the dude knows his stuff.

A brand that sucked 3 years ago could be the top contender this year, and the reverse is also true.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:

@bgebrent You're right I know nothing...thanks for reminding me :grin:
    Knew it!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I hear you. BTW here is one of my prized possessions from when my late Father owned a blacksmith shop in IA. Back then it cost him an arm and leg. It's a 1/2" B & D drill which is now at least 75 years old. Yes, I rewired and polished it since I had to have the D handle repaired. It's one speed and the RPM is extremely slow, but the incredible torque makes it a beast! Once I loaned it to a neighbor to drill thru his poured concrete foundation and as I watched he did not have a firm enough grip on it when it must have hit a rebar sending the drill into a spin which honestly hurt my neighbor's arm badly when the cord twisted so tightly before he let loose of the trigger.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    I'm not sure how you're going to fit a drill and screw between 8" joists?

If you have a compressor though, you can pickup a cheap 'palm nailer' and drive joist hanger nails all day. It also sounds cool. 

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Kayak said:

If you have a compressor though, you can pickup a cheap 'palm nailer' and drive joist hanger nails all day. It also sounds cool. 

It's joist hangers. The 1 1/2" screws are easy. The 2 1/2" toe screws were a little tricky but not really bad at all. Just gotta come in at the right angle. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Kayak said:

It's joist hangers. The 1 1/2" screws are easy. The 2 1/2" toe screws were a little tricky but not really bad at all. Just gotta come in at the right angle. 
    TWSS
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Well after a trip to the Depot, I'm still a Dewalt guy. Their 20v XR battery is 1/2 the weight of the Milwaukee M18. I can see that making a big difference using the tool all day. 
    Sorry I'm late to the party! But you have made the right choice........  I went that route back when I did the new giant deck because the old 18volt Dewalt kit was also on it's last legs. Totally happy after 4 years of hard use, the hammer drill smoke right after I got it but the Dewalt repair store completely repaired it.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Oh and be careful if you have the hammer drill it will twist your hand off with large wood bits.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Well after a trip to the Depot, I'm still a Dewalt guy. Their 20v XR battery is 1/2 the weight of the Milwaukee M18. I can see that making a big difference using the tool all day. 
    Sorry I'm late to the party! But you have made the right choice........  I went that route back when I did the new giant deck because the old 18volt Dewalt kit was also on it's last legs. Totally happy after 4 years of hard use, the hammer drill smoke right after I got it but the Dewalt repair store completely repaired it.
    Yeah I figured the Dewalt line has served me well over the past 20 years so they deserved my repeat business. 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    RRP said:
    ColtsFan said:
    I hear you. BTW here is one of my prized possessions from when my late Father owned a blacksmith shop in IA. Back then it cost him an arm and leg. It's a 1/2" B & D drill which is now at least 75 years old. Yes, I rewired and polished it since I had to have the D handle repaired. It's one speed and the RPM is extremely slow, but the incredible torque makes it a beast! Once I loaned it to a neighbor to drill thru his poured concrete foundation and as I watched he did not have a firm enough grip on it when it must have hit a rebar sending the drill into a spin which honestly hurt my neighbor's arm badly when the cord twisted so tightly before he let loose of the trigger.

Ron that story had a much better ending than I thought it was going to. I witnessed a guy shatter his jaw doing the exact same thing. Those low rpm drills are no joke. Nice drill by the way.
    Snellville, GA