Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe suggestion for a crowd that can be made ahead

Options
2»

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    20stone said:
    BJM2932 said:

I was at meadow creek BBQ supply yesterday picking up stuff for the sauce and rub exchange.  I was checking out their awesome stick burners and thought that I would be the man if I pulled in towing one behind my jeep and did a whole hog.  I think digging a hole in their yard would buy me a spot on the do not invite back list from my aunt.

You can rent those rigs too. 

If if you want to crush brisket for 20 and are tempted by a stick burner, get a Karubacue. @The Cen-Tex Smoker has one and it's awesome for that purpose. 
    Tear up his aunt's property. Rent an offset smoker. Buy a Karubecue...

You must think he's some kind of sucker like your other "friends"!

Yeah, who would fall for crap like that?
    Sure sounds like a story is there.............
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:

Yeah, who would fall for crap like that?
    Sure sounds like a story is there.............

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:

Attack me all you want, but you KNOW those are all great ideas, and HE brought up the offset trailer first.

If he isn't as smart or gullible as my "friends" too bad for him and his family as they eat sad little burgers instead of the finest brisket they've ever had.  I'm just trying to help.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    20stone said:
    caliking said:

Attack me all you want, but you KNOW those are all great ideas, and HE brought up the offset trailer first.

If he isn't as smart or gullible as my "friends" too bad for him and his family as they eat sad little burgers instead of the finest brisket they've ever had.  I'm just trying to help.
    "Go ahead, dig that hole. You will be a legend!" 

L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• BulletGrillHouse
    Options
    I am a second for pasta dishes, had a Memorial Day party and did lasagna and mac and cheese pans ahead of time.  Thru them on the egg as needed.
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,629
    Options
    Is it safe to assume you'll be having a seafood boil already, given where you'll be?

I think you should skip getting complicated and get a crapton of brats and other sausages, cook up tons of peppers and onions, get some good rolls, beans, slaw, etc.  Outdoor food.  Everyone happy.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    20stone said:
    Focker said:
    Barbacoa.

Toast chiles, rehydrate in chicken broth, add some chipotles in adobo, citrus, roasted garlic, toasted cumin, dried Mexican oregano, s and p, puree, sear, braise on the egg in a DO until tender.

Make corn tortillas, pickled red onions, salsa ahead.  Plan b, buy them at a local taqueria.

Warm tortillas via comal on site, hold.  My warmer will keep tortillas for a couple of hours.  ATK tested them all, this one stood tall.

Hold smoked barbacoa in crockpots or better yet, SV.

Serve with Mexican parm(Cotija), fresh cilantro and lime wedges.

I love PSB, but playing second fiddle to pulled pork, which is also using the same bun platform and 2D flavor dimensions, would be too much for me.....go 4D.

Not a bad starting point for references.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/04/better-than-chipotles-beef-barbacoa-tacos.html
    If you aren't willing to dig a hole in their yard, barbacoa is tough to beat (though traditional barbacoa is a cows head.... buried in the ground, so there's that).

Here is a writeup I did awhile back - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190013/beef-cheek-barbacoa-redemption/p1

I am a big fan of beef cheeks for this purpose, if you can get them.  I order from 44 Farms locally, and can squeeze 8 lbs into my Sous Vide Supreme.  If you have a Joule or Annova, more is more.

Do that with fresh tortillas, and you will be the man.
    Stumbled upon this recent cheek thread, looks lovely.
    https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?70665-Beef-cheek-meat-for-tacos
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    One of my favorite go-to crowd dinners is jambalaya.  Fine a recipe (not one of those that has tomatoes in it...please) and revise it.

Here is the deal, for your meats you can cook chicken, pork and sausage ahead of time on the egg. Doesn't even have to be completely done, just yummy looking.  Then prep all the veggies ahead of time... saute everything with seasoning.  Chop up the meat, mix it with the veggies (onions, peppers, celery, spices) and throw it all in the fridge.

Then, when it's your turn to you throw in a pile of rice, the mixture described above, and a bunch of chicken stock.  Bring to boil, throw in some fresh shrimp at this point if you want, cover, reduce to simmer, don't open the pot.

It's an awesome meal and all the hard work is done ahead of time.  You can make it as spicy or mild as you want by the sausage you put in it.  For meat I usually use andouille sausage, smoked turkey sausage and a smoked pork chop...  the chicken I use is boneless skinless chicken thighs.  It's awesome.
    LBGE/Maryland