Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mojo Criollo Chicken

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited June 2017 in EggHead Forum
Several years ago, on @cookn biker's recommendation, I bought a bottle of Goya Mojo Criollo, marinated some chicken thighs in it for about 4-5 hours and then egged them at 400° raised direct with some cherry wood for smoke.They were delicious and looked pretty good too. The cherry gives GREAT color!

I don't buy Goya any more because of the sodium, but today, I decided to mix up my own marinade and give it a whirl. It's been so long since I did the last batch, I don't really remember the taste, just that they were great! So are these. Mixed up the ingredients in my new Ninja Master Prep that I just bought due to @NecessaryIndulg recommendation. Thanks, Kristi! I didn't think to take a pic of the marinade, but it looked remarkably like Goya's version.

Anyway, here's today's effort. A few thighs and a split breast thrown in for good measure...
As I said, I don't really remember the last batch, but it could NOT have been any better than this! It was absolutely terrific! Served with sautéed asparagus and the last of the potato salad I made the other day.

Marinade recipe for anyone interested:

2/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup orange juice
   OR use 1 cup Naranja Agria (sour orange) if you can find it (I didn't try, I just used standard lemon and orange juice.)
10-12 garlic gloves
1 tsp salt (I used less)
1 tsp pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

Blend for 30 seconds and pour over chicken in zip bag. Marinate in fridge for 4-24 hours.

Hope you try it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Thanks for lookin'! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Chicken looks awesome!

Recipe - saved.

Well done, @Carolina Q !
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Wow the one's on the first pic look AMAZING!  Wish I had some right now lol
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
    edited June 2017
    Options
    First off, WOW, you cooked something!

Chicken looks good, Q. I'm glad you found a way to make the marinade instead of using the bottled stuff. I'm gonna try it, on your recommendation.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Chicken looks awesome!

Recipe - saved.

Well done, @Carolina Q !
    Thank you! Do yourself a favor and try this stuff. It really is a great marinade!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    stv8r said:
    Wow the one's on the first pic look AMAZING!  Wish I had some right now lol
    I don't remember, but I doubt if the chicken in the first pic tasted any better than the second. It's just been a while since I used the good camera. hahaha

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You found your mojo.  Looks great! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Florida Grillin Girl said:
    First off, WOW, you cooked something!

Chicken looks good, Q. I'm glad you found a way to make the marinade instead of using the bottled stuff.
    Smart a$$. =) I cook all the time. I just don't do it any more often than I have to. In this case, I have 5 pieces of delicious chicken. Good for a while. =)

Try the marinade, Faith. It really is delicious. And it would be cool to teach YOU something for a change! ;)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Ha Ha. Naaa, I've already done it. Just not postworthy, like yours is from your pics.

Seriously, the chicken looks delish.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Really looks great. Like me some cherry wood.
    really is fantastic looking chicken with the dark color.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Really looks great. Like me some cherry wood.
    really is fantastic looking chicken with the dark color.
    Thanks, my friend. It sure makes chicken (especially) look good! I'm glad I finally took the time to work out this recipe. It's a combo of a few Mojo Criollo recipes I found. Quite possibly my best chicken recipe!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Heck yeah beautiful color on that chicken. Hard to believe there was leftovers!
    Snellville, GA

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Heck yeah beautiful color on that chicken. Hard to believe there was leftovers!
    hahaha, I ALWAYS plan for leftovers! 

Thanks!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

2/3 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup orange juice
       OR use 1 cup Naranja Agria (sour orange) if you can find it (I didn't try, I just used standard lemon and orange juice.)
    10-12 garlic gloves
    1 tsp salt (I used less)
    1 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil

Blend for 30 seconds and pour over chicken in zip bag. Marinate in fridge for 4-24 hours.

Is the lemon and orange juice fresh from the fruit?
    Thanks
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

2/3 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup orange juice
    10-12 garlic gloves
    1 tsp salt (I used less)
    1 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil

Thanks
    Or organic and gluten free?  :s
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

2/3 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup orange juice
    10-12 garlic gloves
    1 tsp salt (I used less)
    1 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil

Thanks
    Ideally, yes, of course. I used fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons) for what I did today, but I didn't have any oranges so I just used OJ from a carton. I would like find the sour orange mentioned in the recipe. That's fresh squeezed of course.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokingPiney
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

2/3 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup orange juice
    10-12 garlic gloves
    1 tsp salt (I used less)
    1 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil

Thanks
    Ideally, yes, of course. I used fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons) for what I did today, but I didn't have any oranges so I just used OJ from a carton. I would like find the sour orange mentioned in the recipe. That's fresh squeezed of course.
    OMG! 

You didn't use fresh squeezed oranges for the juice. I declare heresy....... =)

I won't go into the "organic" or "gluten free" properties of your recipe.  ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

2/3 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup orange juice
    10-12 garlic gloves
    1 tsp salt (I used less)
    1 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil

Thanks
    OMG! 

You didn't use fresh squeezed oranges for the juice. I declare heresy....... =)

I won't go into the "organic" or "gluten free" properties of your recipe.  ;)
    Spare me... =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    "10-12 garlic cloves" . . .  SOLD! ✔️
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Love Mojo.  I don't mind the Goya, but home-made is better, as you know what's in it!  

Thanks for sharing.  Chicken looks great.  One question...

I love citrus marinades, but I'm always skeptical when I leave meat in lemon for too long as it can "cook" the meat and leave it kind of pastey.   Based on your results, I'm guessing the ratios here are meat texture came out as expected?

Anytime I'm on an island or even around home and Latin folks are grilling outside... I always smell the mojo.  It's the best grilled chicken smell around.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That looks amazing!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Love Mojo.  I don't mind the Goya, but home-made is better, as you know what's in it!  

Thanks for sharing.  Chicken looks great.  One question...

I love citrus marinades, but I'm always skeptical when I leave meat in lemon for too long as it can "cook" the meat and leave it kind of pastey.   Based on your results, I'm guessing the ratios here are meat texture came out as expected?

Anytime I'm on an island or even around home and Latin folks are grilling outside... I always smell the mojo.  It's the best grilled chicken smell around.
    When Molly told me about this stuff in the first place, she suggested marinating for 24 hours as I recall. I think I did only 4 hours for pic one (in 2010) and about 6 yesterday. Both results were excellent and I noticed nothing "off" at all. I doubt I'll ever do 24, but 4-6 worked well for me.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    looks darn good, that recipe looks like a good dipping sauce as well. ive been doing my 24 hour chicken marinades for 6 hours lately on the counter, seems the warmer temp takes the marinade better, safety be damned ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    looks darn good, that recipe looks like a good dipping sauce as well. ive been doing my 24 hour chicken marinades for 6 hours lately on the counter, seems the warmer temp takes the marinade better, safety be damned ;)
    Thanks. Good luck with the 6 hr chicken thing. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    looks great, thanks for sharing
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    its even better done =) on top of the fridge
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    its even better done =) on top of the fridge
    Related image

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    There's a Spanish mojo that we like as well - not as much naranja. We also like to put some cilantro paste in ours. 

Nicely done!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    There's a Spanish mojo that we like as well - not as much naranja. We also like to put some cilantro paste in ours. 

Nicely done!
    Thanks. I'd like to find some Naranja Agria. I've never seen it, but then, I've never looked either. Latin markets are few and far between around here. Still, lemon and orange made a delicious marinade so I'm good, even if I can't find any.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    JNDATHP said:

Nicely done!
    Thanks. I'd like to find some Naranja Agria. I've never seen it, but then, I've never looked either. Latin markets are few and far between around here. Still, lemon and orange made a delicious marinade so I'm good, even if I can't find any.
    Just keep making it fresh. It's better.
  • ThrasherIII
    Options

have you tried this with the skinless thighs?