Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: before I break it & throw it out - any other use for this big MW clay pot? : OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
Back at least 30 years ago when MicroWaves were still new to homes and to cooking in general - we bought an expensive "clay pot" for use in it. It appears to be terra-cotta and has a dome as well and is glazed inside - NOT just raw terra-cotta. We think we only used it once or twice at most and it was for some pasta and meat recipe. Call me cheap if you want, but we think we paid like $45 for it way back then! It may have been a rip off then, but I'd hate to take a hammer to it if someone thinks we might use it in the BGE or even electric oven. It will NOT even fit in our present micro-wave. TIA
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    How about a picture?
    Snellville, GA

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Sounds like a good bean pot for the oven or egg.
  • RRP
    Options
    How about a picture?
    Will do tomorrow! 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I think there has been a resurgence in popularity of clay pot cookware.
    http://www.bramcookware.com/index.php?cPath=1

They are pretty cool looking and expensive.
  • RRP
    Options
    Sounds like a good bean pot for the oven or egg.
    LOL - but it would take us a year to eat that many beans! 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Before you take a hammer to it, post a pic here. I'm sure someone would pay shipping costs for it and it would go to a good home.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    Options

GregW said:
    I think there has been a resurgence in popularity of clay pot cookware.
    http://www.bramcookware.com/index.php?cPath=1

They are pretty cool looking and expensive.
    Those look cool and heavy like Dutch Ovens. Our pot is oval and has a small bottom with rising sides. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Could you do some lakeside carbonara over an open flame w it?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    Options
    thetrim said:
    LOL, and no offense to all you great cooks here, but is "carbonara" the name of whatever that meal was that Focker posted the link to and spent 14 minutes watching and trying to figure out what the hell he was making?  :o:o:o
  • thetrim
    Options
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    LOL, and no offense to all you great cooks here, but is "carbonara" the name of whatever that meal was that Focker posted the link to and spent 14 minutes watching and trying to figure out what the hell he was making?  :o:o:o
    No sir, that was "Best Carbonara Ever"
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    Options
    thetrim said:
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    No sir, that was "Best Carbonara Ever"
    Like I said - no offense and all that, but I was clueless what the hell he was making let alone what the hell it was even after he spent all that time cooking it! 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ron, it may be similar to a Pampered Chef braiser/baking bowl I found paired with a Sassafrass ceramic deep dish as a cloche for dirt cheap at an antique store.

https://www.amazon.com/Pampered-Chef-Round-Baker-Roaster/dp/B000WIYGWS
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Ron, I wish I had just half of your money.........

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    Ron, it may be similar to a Pampered Chef braiser/baking bowl I found paired with a Sassafrass as a cloche for dirt cheap at an antique store.

https://www.amazon.com/Pampered-Chef-Round-Baker-Roaster/dp/B000WIYGWS
    Thanks, Brandon...but NO that thing isn't even close to what we have!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I have one of these clay pots with lid that I have had for 30+ years.

https://smile.amazon.com/Romertopf-Reston-Classic-Glazed-Natural/dp/B00B30LV2C/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494301624&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=rommertopf

They are great pieces but I haven't used mine to cook in in at least 15 years. I used to do whole chickens with veggies in the oven or basically pot roasts.

It is still sitting on the top shelf of my kitchen greenhouse window since I last used it to hold a few pots of herbs. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    DMW said:
    Before you take a hammer to it, post a pic here. I'm sure someone would pay shipping costs for it and it would go to a good home.
    No good homes amongst this bunch.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Hard to say without a pic but maybe a bread cloche?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Ron, this must be the one thing you don't already have a picture queued up for, but I'm finding it hard to believe.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Maybe send it Lit as a kiss and make up thing?  Like a Hallmark moment with a clay pot.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options
    Maybe send it Lit as a kiss and make up thing?  Like a Hallmark moment with a clay pot.  
    This made me laugh

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• RRP
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I have one of these clay pots with lid that I have had for 30+ years.

https://smile.amazon.com/Romertopf-Reston-Classic-Glazed-Natural/dp/B00B30LV2C/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494301624&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=rommertopf

They are great pieces but I haven't used mine to cook in in at least 15 years. I used to do whole chickens with veggies in the oven or basically pot roasts.

It is still sitting on the top shelf of my kitchen greenhouse window since I last used it to hold a few pots of herbs. 
    BINGO! ours was smooth outside but yes that is what it is! Thank you!
  • RRP
    Options
    Looks delicious, fish! Yes it would be, though I'm now thinking about a Julia Child's French Chicken recipe that I normally make in a Dutch oven.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    Here ya go bud, this pretty much covers it. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AAdKl1UYZs
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @RRP
    Ron it's kind of ironic that you posted about a clay pot. My wife has been wanting one as of late. The denist that she works for has one and really likes it. 
    With that said, are they worth it? Offer any kind of advantage to anything? 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Ron it's kind of ironic that you posted about a clay pot. My wife has been wanting one as of late. The denist that she works for has one and really likes it. 
    the glazed bean pots make better beans from scratch than the cast iron ones, slower heat transfer maybe?  never any burning and the salt pork seems to render better floating in beans in the old style clay bean pot.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Could you fit a small child in it? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    the glazed bean pots make better beans from scratch than the cast iron ones, slower heat transfer maybe?  never any burning and the salt pork seems to render better floating in beans in the old style clay bean pot.
    The slower heat transfer might be an advantage but one clear advantage over something like a cast iron dutch oven is that the clay cookers are not reactive. I don't care how well seasoned a CI dutch oven may be if you are doing a long slow cook including something like tomatoes you may well pick up some funny tastes from the metal. Clay - no problemo.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    @fishlessman that looks awesome. Can you share the process/recipe? I assume you cooked the butt and then put it in the DO with the beans and cooked some more?
    Snellville, GA

• thetrim
    Options
    Is it a "clay pot" or a "Dutch oven" when you fart under the covers?
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95