Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Sold My XL and Small Egg, I'll Shirley Miss Them!

Options
12346»

Comments

• littlerascal56
    Options
    I had the same thoughts, till I pulled up Yoders webpage.  They actually have their own forum.  There were several complaints from members about poor drafting!  Yoders response was “please call and we can discuss”!  Not good.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2019
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

If this is good enough for Aaron Franklin to use at home. Its good enough for me.

They're certainly heads and tails better than what you typically find at big box stores... just don't spend too much time inspecting the welds and seams like I did.  I think they slap those things together blindfolded. You can get a much better smoker for <$1000.

https://www.yodersmokers.com/cheyenne.html
    Be sure and read up on those yoders before jumping on that.  I was looking really hard at those a year or so ago and I kept reading of people having drafting issues with them.  That's not personal experience, but it seems to be a common theme if you start researching.  

Yep. I didn't like their response to those claims either - silence. When I called them and asked about all the "concerns" floating around the BBQ forums they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about.

Talking positively about your business is one thing and to be expected, but flat out feigning ignorance on a widely reported issue in a relatively small online community is shady. 

Little things like that ultimately soured me on their brand, so they won't be getting my business. 
    If they are Amish, they may not have known what was being said on an internet BBQ forum.

They moderate their own BBQ forum so that's not the case at all. They actively delete threads dedicated to the issues. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I was in Orlando today with some time to kill and stopped into an Academy to take a looksee at the Pecos offset.  It's a nice one.  The Brazos is a touch bigger, but for $600 more, I'd just stay with the Pecos. 

We don't have an Academy close, so I'll have to figure out a way to get it home from there.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I bought my first real smoker from Academy.  Oklahoma Joes.  Taught myself how to use it.  Absolutely loved it until SWMBO asked me to sell it when we got the XL BGE.  Still miss it.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I bought my first real smoker from Academy.  Oklahoma Joes.  Taught myself how to use it.  Absolutely loved it until SWMBO asked me to sell it when we got the XL BGE.  Still miss it.

Same, except mine was a New Braunfells I picked up at Walmart in the early 2000s. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @Hook_emHornsfan_74 You obviously recognize right answer when told.  I was not put in that position when the stick-burner arrived or it would have been "a hill to die on."  You should go back out and get another one since you are well aware of the differences and benefits.  Rambling on a Friday...  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Hook_emHornsfan_74 You obviously recognize right answer when told.  I was not put in that position when the stick-burner arrived or it would have been "a hill to die on."  You should go back out and get another one since you are well aware of the differences and benefits.  Rambling on a Friday...  FWIW-
    I have been thinking about it lately actually.  Don't see the difference in her bringing home shopping bags or boxes in the mail.  Who am I fooling.  Huge difference.  lol
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • thetrim
    Options
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I get a great smoke flavor on my 24x42 Shirley. I think it has to do with actually cooking with live fire what wood you use and at what level of seasoning it has. I use pecan mostly and it is well seasoned. I get great color by the 3rd hour in at 275. I also use post oak and cherry. The cherry is well seasoned and I get great smoke and fruity flavor from it.
    I start my Shirley with a good bed of lump or briquettes to get it up to temp and the iron warm. Then sticks every 40-45 minutes, depending on the size. 
    The difference in the flavor profile of a live fire cook and my large BGE is very noticeable. I have tried many ways to cook big proteins on my BGE and have not yet hit the flavor profile of my Shirley. @SGH explained to me quite awhile back about live fire cooking and airflow. That sent me on my quest for an offset and I have never looked back!
    all this, but the no sleep took its toll on me....

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Hotch said:
    I get a great smoke flavor on my 24x42 Shirley. I think it has to do with actually cooking with live fire what wood you use and at what level of seasoning it has. I use pecan mostly and it is well seasoned. I get great color by the 3rd hour in at 275. I also use post oak and cherry. The cherry is well seasoned and I get great smoke and fruity flavor from it.
    I start my Shirley with a good bed of lump or briquettes to get it up to temp and the iron warm. Then sticks every 40-45 minutes, depending on the size. 
    The difference in the flavor profile of a live fire cook and my large BGE is very noticeable. I have tried many ways to cook big proteins on my BGE and have not yet hit the flavor profile of my Shirley. @SGH explained to me quite awhile back about live fire cooking and airflow. That sent me on my quest for an offset and I have never looked back!
    all this, but the no sleep took its toll on me....

I could see that. Those long nights get long. Fortunately most of my cooks are done by afternoon/evening. The previous owner said the sweet spot is 300/325 degrees. Which cuts down on the overall time. You can get a brisket done by dinner if you start early in the morning. Pork butts aren't that fun. Those will keep you up. 6 or less goes into the BGE for overnighters. If you have the time to feed it sticks overnights aren't all that frequent so far. 

With that being said, I wouldn't say no if someone wanted to give me a big insulated vertical smoker! I think that would be a perfect combination with a stick burner. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I have learned a routine so I can sleep. Similar to when I cook on my BGE. With my Shirley having a sweet spot of 285-325, I get it setup and ready to go the afternoon before I cook. I'll light it around 5:00 am or 5:30 am. Usually takes around 45 minutes to heat up the steel and settle in. So I start cooking around 6:30 am. Ribs are off around noon and butts are done around 4:00 pm along with briskets between 4:00 pm and 6:00 pm. This all depends on two things.
    1. The weight of the protein
    2. How many adult  beverages may have been served
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • thetrim
    Options
    Hey @Hotch Did you post a pic of your Shirley?  I've seen pics of food on it, but I can't recall a picture of your entire unit in all it's glory.  Could you (re)post a pic of it when you can?

Many thanks.  All you Shirley guys make be envious.  Luckily, on this first Friday of Lent, I don't remember a Commandment that said, "Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's Shirley offset smoker"
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    You would think they would only take big orders but that's not the case at all. I've seen fire pits, grills, and smaller patio smokers from them. They make smaller versions of the Patio Smoker for the St. Louis BBQ Store. 

https://www.stlbbqstore.com/search.php?Search=&search_query=Shirley

Yep, they sell out/get claimed almost instantly too!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • thetrim
    Options
    Is that the same one Hotch has???
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options
    Hotch do you know the race car driver who drives the 17 Roush Mustang on the NASCAR circuit?  Prosper is a very small town so you must know him.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Hotch do you know the race car driver who drives the 17 Roush Mustang on the NASCAR circuit?  Prosper is a very small town so you must know him.  
    @Hotch
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JJensen
    JJensen Posts: 58
    Options
    Can I ask where you got the bride and groom shakers at?
  • WeberWho
    Options
    JJensen said:
    Can I ask where you got the bride and groom shakers at?
    They were BGE Christmas ornaments that my wife made into a bride and goom for our wedding cake toppers. We aren't cake people. We actually forgot about purchasing a wedding cake until the morning of the wedding. We did rootbeer floats for dessert. So the wedding cake was off to the side. Just so we could both slice into something for a picture otherwise it was rootbeer floats. 

My wife wanted those cake toppers in the picture with the rest of the eggs. Not my idea....

Minnesota
  • Hotch
    Options
    No I don't.
    With 20,000+ people living here now, I'm at about 100 so far! :rofl:
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    who is Shirley???? :D
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Hotch
    Options
    Looks like he got his start driving the Legends Cars at Texas Motor Speedway.
    Won over 100 races!

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 524
    Options
    Nice rig! I love my stick burner and would part with an egg or two first...
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options
    Hutch the driver from your home town is Chris Buescher.  He drives the #17 Ford Mustang for Jack Roush on the NASCAR circuit.  
    Auburn, Alabama