Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thai Beef Salad and Tom Ka Gai

Options
bgebrent
bgebrent Posts: 19,636
This is a family favorite and our Christmas traditional meal.  We decided it shouldn't be shelved for 12 months and busted it out on our youngest son, who is headed to the Marine Corps after college, and his friends and girlfriend.  It holds up.  Hoping I can.  6 pounds of marinated flank steak grilled on the XL served over a salad of napa cabbage, romaine, tomato, red onion, cucumber and cilantro and dressed with an amazing Thai dressing.  In our house, the beef dominates the salad so you have to look for the salad component.  I was to busy slicing up 6# of beef to get the coconut soup shot. And I promise there's a Yuge salad under the steak. This was a great derby day feast.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Looks mighty fine brother Brent. But I have got to ask, who is Tom Ka Gai?  Is he one of the Brisket Gods ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    edited May 2017
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks mighty fine brother Brent. But I have got to ask, who is Tom Ka Gai?  ;)
    You already know it's chicken coconut soup and its delicious. ;)
  • bgebrent
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks mighty fine brother Brent. But I have got to ask, who is Tom Ka Gai?  Is he one of the Brisket Gods ;)
    You modified the question.  I have 3 Waygu briskets in my freezer.  But I believe you sir are the brisket god.  I only try.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Looks great. We are appreciative of your son's upcoming service to this Great Nation. 
  • bgebrent
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Looks great. We are appreciative of your son's upcoming service to this Great Nation. 
    Michael, thank you my friend.  I'm proud of him, and scared to death.  I support him 100%.  Thank you.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Wow Brent. That's awesome your son is giving that sacrifice. Thank you and him. 

Meat salad looks great too. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Salad always looks better when obliterated by meat. Great cook bud.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

You got it right! the MEAT should be foremost! LOOKS delish......

Thanks to your son for his service to our Country, Good Job Dad & Mom.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Delicious meal served as it should be.
    I know you and Nicole are proud parents, and I want to also say on behalf of My Beautiful Wife and I, our respect and appreciation, for your son and his dedication. I can't imagine it will be easy for you and Nicole during his service, as it would be for any loving parent, but know this, thoughts and prayers, from a grateful nation will be with him, every step of the way.
    Blessings to your family.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Thanks to all!  I made it sound more immediate than it is.  It is yet inevitable.  My youngest will go through officer candidate school with the Marine Corps this summer.  He'll graduate in December and then commission as an officer in the Marine Corps.  I promise you we're safe with him in charge.  Still scared to death as a father.  Very proud.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    Epic!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Great cook. I'd say your son deserves to eat whatever the heck he requests!  Please send my regards and thanks. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Proud moment all around! Cheers to you and yours!