Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today was a Very Bad Day for HEALTH CARE

Sardonicus
Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
edited March 2017 in EggHead Forum

It's a really Bad day for Health Care.    MY health care!
Here's why:

St. Looey ribs,

Flanken cut Short Ribs,

'Taters,

And these damned things:

No matter how hard I try to eat right and take Care of my Health, 'Rib Candy' [and stuff] keeps calling my name.
I thought it would be easy !

Today's really Bad Health Care Day began with . . .
A hickory "mini-log" amid some un-masked Royal Oak.

Of course, there was "Pre-Op". 
(That's a Health Care term.)

And a little baste for the cross-cut Shorts.

ABTs on the Egg . . .

Ta make a long story short,
Pretty much everything on the Egg

The Short Ribs got basted at about 160°, then pulled @ 210°

As Mandated, those Hasselback 'taters need a Healthy Dose of Bacon Bits.

The Operation was a success!
ABTs, of course -

Yet-to-be Loaded Potatoes -

Flanken cut Short Ribs, finished -
(Same as "cross-cut" . . . I think.)

- and Rib Candy.

Please keep the details of my Health Careless day to yourself.
And for Goodness' sake, don't tell . . .
 - The Death Panel!

Have a Healthy weekend!
 :D 

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Delicious food! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Did you sign an informed consent?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,610
  • Great post. You ate well tonight. 
    Snellville, GA

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Did you sign an informed consent?
      More importantly did you obtain informed consent?  You sneaky little bastich  ;). Great grub man.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

• "Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited March 2017
    SOMEONE has to take one for the team, fella, and that someone is you. Thanks from all of our arteries.
    Judy in San Diego
  • @Sardonicus may I ask what the round things are on top of the lump in the 6th picture? 
    Snellville, GA

• Sardonicus
    @Sardonicus may I ask what the round things are on top of the lump in the 6th picture? 
    I think those are called "Fireballs".  They're made of CI and are intended to allow you to dump lump on top of starter cubes without extinguishing the flame.
    They were a comp from a now-defunct dealer ("Three Sixty Outdoors", maybe?) because of amazingly poor service.

I use 'em 'cause they're there and were free.  Not needed, really.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    @Sardonicus may I ask what the round things are on top of the lump in the 6th picture? 
    They are cast iron rings. Two are welded together. You place the fire starters in them and they provide air space for the fire starter to breathe while burning. I have some I got at a show a few years ago. Never have used them. They are designed to allow you to bury the starters. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,954
    They are cast iron rings. Two are welded together. You place the fire starters in them and they provide air space for the fire starter to breathe while burning. I have some I got at a show a few years ago. Never have used them. They are designed to allow you to bury the starters. 
    Mickey sent me his which were a gift at one of the Texas Eggfests. I used it a couple of years and it became fully rusted and fell apart. So much for the idea LOL - but thanks @Mickey anyway!
  • Thanks guys. First time seeing anything like that. Seem like a good idea but as you said not needed. I would like to have a few the size of a softball to put in the firebox on top of the KAB so it didn't take as much lump to get the fire up near the grate when searing. 
    Snellville, GA

• RRP
    Thanks guys. First time seeing anything like that. Seem like a good idea but as you said not needed. I would like to have a few the size of a softball to put in the firebox on top of the KAB so it didn't take as much lump to get the fire up near the grate when searing. 
    There are other ways to achieve that including after market grates. Or believe it or not a Mini BGE will do that with no hassle and for that matter a M/M will also. Even a simple Weber charcoal grate placed inside can accomplish that gaol - BUT why bother? LOL
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,723
    I see what you did there

That's amazing and even now, more than ever, I'm to embarrassed to post any sort of cook
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Everything looks fantastic. Not sure if I would rather have that or The Lou I had tonight. Either way killer. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bgebrent
    edited March 2017
    Love your threads lately man - you're killing it!
    He took my advice ;). Done. =)
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    @Sardonicus - I thought I had every kitchen gadget ever made...until I saw your Hasselback Potato Slicing Rack.

Amazon > One Click > Done!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    HeavyG said:
    @Sardonicus - I thought I had every kitchen gadget ever made...until I saw your Hasselback Potato Slicing Rack.

Gimmick gizmo.  I'll stick to my chef's knife.  He's a cheater  ;)
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Well done @Sardonicus!   Now fill out the super bill, use the correct modifiers (51 for multiple services?), and submit your 837P or CMS-1500......and maybe you'll get reimbursed. Seriously, wonderful cook!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Sardonicus
    edited March 2017
    HeavyG said:

That 11% rebate at Menards gets me every time!

Today was my first use of that gadget.  I may need to Gerry-rig it so the blade glide is a bit steadier when in use.
    Shouldn't be too difficult.

I hope you're not disappointed with it.
    Use it in good Health.   :D

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    bgebrent said:
    HeavyG said:

Gimmick gizmo.  I'll stick to my chef's knife.  He's a cheater  ;)
    I can't wait to use it with my Ginsu knife!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    Definitely a nice looking cook.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    HeavyG said:

Should have been around a couple years ago when I got the sh*t kicked out of me by some *ssholes fir showing how I cut my Hassbacks in uniform slices and I sure didn't spend anything close to what that thing cost!
  • Sardonicus

10 bucks at Menards.  Some people spill that much in beer over a weekend.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    RRP said:
    HeavyG said:

Should have been around a couple years ago when I got the sh*t kicked out of me by some *ssholes fir showing how I cut my Hassbacks in uniform slices and I sure didn't spend anything close to what that thing cost!
    FLAG THAT COMMENT!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,945
    On a Friday night, no less!
    Well done, @Sarcasticus!!  

I once lived just a stone's throw away from a family who all died of mysterious head injuries. 

• Sardonicus
    Botch said:
    On a Friday night, no less!
    Well done, @Sarcasticus!!  
    LOL

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,940
    edited March 2017
    Republicans who have been elected proved themselves to be blustering fools.  60+ votes knowing Obama would veto.  Now they get what they "pretended" to want and they chicken out.

I'm livid at the ****.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard