Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rubbery Breast Spatchcock Chicken

Options
Patriot
Patriot Posts: 14
The last few times I have done spatchcock chicken the breast meat has turned out "rubbery". Looking for possible causes. I cook them raised direct, high in the dome with woo extender at 375 until IT of 163-165. Then pull and rest for 5 minutes. Cook time is usually between 50 to 60 minutes. Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I cook mine at 425-450 but I don't see how 375 would make them rubbery.

Wondering if you let it sit in rub for a long time before you cook it? The salt will dry brine it and can make it firmer.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    That's odd. I do mine a tad higher too, but I'd think temp is the culprit. @The Cen-Tex Smoker may be onto something. I was going to ask if you brined it by chance. 

Going by your handle, maybe the chicken was a little "deflated" :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• s_austin_egger
    Options
    You're pulling it too late in my opinion. I make sure that I have the dark meat over the hotter part of the grill and cook until the breast reads 155.  Pull and tent. It will come up the last 10 when tented with foil. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I go 375-425 raised direct. Legs toward the hinge. No brine. And pull once breast IT 155. Pretty simple cook for meal or meal prep. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You're pulling it too late in my opinion. I make sure that I have the dark meat over the hotter part of the grill and cook until the breast reads 155.  Pull and tent. It will come up the last 10 when tented with foil. 

I do pull mine around 155 as well.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Did you leave the implants in?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Buy air chilled birds. I had the same problem. 
  • Mikeymise
    Mikeymise Posts: 53
    Options
    Such a difference in the quality of today's poultry.  Personally, I think Tyson and Perdue are tasteless and rubbery.  I've been buying Bell & Evans brand for over ten years.  We rarely eat boneless breasts except for piccata or Marsala.  When the chicken hits the saute pan, it's an instant chicken aroma.  Not with other brands.  We are fortunate to have a meat dep't that displays all B&E parts on ice.  We pick what we want.  I think it's worth the extra buck; it has that much better flavor.  B&E is air chilled, also.
  • Patriot
    Options
    I cook mine at 425-450 but I don't see how 375 would make them rubbery.

Wondering if you let it sit in rub for a long time before you cook it? The salt will dry brine it and can make it firmer.

I did not brine the chicken or use a rub. Just herbs. I did let the bird sit in the frig uncovered for  afew hours.
  • Patriot
    Options
    I think you may have the answer. next time I will pull it at 155. Thanks.
  • Patriot
    Options
    Mikeymise said:
    Such a difference in the quality of today's poultry.  Personally, I think Tyson and Perdue are tasteless and rubbery.  I've been buying Bell & Evans brand for over ten years.  We rarely eat boneless breasts except for piccata or Marsala.  When the chicken hits the saute pan, it's an instant chicken aroma.  Not with other brands.  We are fortunate to have a meat dep't that displays all B&E parts on ice.  We pick what we want.  I think it's worth the extra buck; it has that much better flavor.  B&E is air chilled, also.
      I have not seen air chilled chicken in any grocery stores near me in Southern California. I will keep looking.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    tjv said:
    bird needs more time upside down with skin toward the heat.  if you cover and tent after you pull it, good chance the skin will go soft from the moisture trapped under the cover.

I start my birds upside down on the extender, 5-10 minutes to give the skin a head start.  depending on what the skin looks like, I'll flip it over during the cook to give the skin more direct heat and it gives me something to do.......

t
    I do similar but in reverse. I let the skin set a bit while cooking bones down then I flip it to crisp the skin. Usually skin down for about 15-20, then back to bones down.