Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Will Be Delivered Tomorrow - What accessories do I need?

Options
I just bought my first BGE, and it gets delivered tomorrow. What are the basic accessories I should purchase?
I have bought ThermoWorks Smoke & Plate setter so far. What else should I get to get started?

Troy

Comments

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    edited February 2017
    Options
    All of them.....The first thing I got was a cast iron grate to replace the flimsy stainless one you get. Welcome to the forum btw! Please stop by tomorrow after 5 as it gets real around here.
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Thermapen, wood chunks, pizza stone.   

If if it's a large, I would get an Ott grid and PS lifter and or a claw to remove the PS. Good welding gloves or the new high heat type mitts a re a really good idea as well. 

Congrats and enjoy!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    All of them.....The first thing I got was a cast iron grate to replace the flimsy stainless one you get. Welcome to the forum btw! Please stop by tomorrow after 5 as it gets real around here.
    I'm getting on the grill grates band wagon. I'm a long time CI grate lover, so I'm not going to talk anyone out of them. Choo choo
  • derka123
    derka123 Posts: 102
    Options
    Platesetter was a good choice to start, though you may find yourself wanting an adjustable rig with various ceramic discs in the future instead. Kick ash basket and smokeware cap are nice to have as well. Long ash removal tool comes in handy as does the ash pan.

None of these are necessary, just nice to have.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Wrong thing to ask this group!  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Agree with @Smokin_Trout on this one. Just put it to use and you'll figure out which extras you'll need as you go. It's real easy to buy a bunch of "necessary" accessories that will wind up hardly getting used. 
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Ain't that the truth. My last accessory was a RTIC, scum bag cooler. It won't even fit on the egg. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    A Blackstone 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TjEgg83
    TjEgg83 Posts: 2
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I can't wait to put a big steak on there and crack a beer. I think I'm going to like this group :) Thanks for the tips
  • pgprescott
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Ain't that the truth. My last accessory was a RTIC, scum bag cooler. It won't even fit on the egg. 
    Give @SGH a jingle he will walk you through the Dixie style butchering technique for dismembering the RTIC so you can enjoy it smothered in gravy!  =)
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    All of them.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    A way to cook indirect and a thermometer so you don't over cook or under cook your food are the most important, and you knocked that out right out of the gate. If you are ever going to switch to a direct cook after doing an indirect you will need something to take out the hot plate setter. I suggest something like this.
    https://www.amazon.com/OrkaPlus-A82301-Silicone-Cotton-charcoal/dp/B003V8AMDI/ref=pd_sim_79_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YJ4A0JD2TF10NBFHS2CZ
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Short answer is- with the exception of a means to cook indirect (heat shield) you don't really need anything.  Now, that is a far cry from what do you want...
    What follows are a collection of things that may help with your intro:

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough for now.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Grab some lump, and a good digital thermometer. Thermapens are my go to around the grills, but you dont have to spend it all at once. Buy a few other ones before you end up getting a thermapen after they fail.

The rest are depending on your cooks. Don't waste your money.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    Costco membership?  Agree with the above, start cooking and you will identify things you could use to make the next cook better, easier, or sometimes more complicated (but somehow more enjoyable).
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Figure out how you want to light it. I use a Looftlighter but the arsonists rave about weed burners. 
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options

A credit card with a high limit....

and a clump removing tool for your rub.

:-)

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

A camera, we like pics.  Welcome.

Phoenix 
  • SOUTHERNLINKSBBQ
    Options
    TjEgg83 said:
    I just bought my first BGE, and it gets delivered tomorrow. What are the basic accessories I should purchase?
    I have bought ThermoWorks Smoke & Plate setter so far. What else should I get to get started?

Troy
    You are good to get started. I would recomend a Mapp Gas torch to light it, pizza stone, and a different piece for the bottom to increase airflow, either a kick ash basket or fishbone grate. Also love my stainless chimney caps. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Nothing, for now. 

Get a few cooks under your belt and as you learn to control temps, the differences in direct/indirect, etc.

Cook the basics first (burgers, steaks, ribs, wings, chicken) and you'll find yourself wanting to try new things (pizza, for example) then research and buy what you need for what you want to cook. 

There are a lot of bought, used one or twice and now collecting lump dust and occupying shelf space accessories out there. 

Don't get sucked into buying BGE stuff. If you want X, use the search feature here and learn what 3rd party products may be better and cheaper. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    Ceramic Grill Store (CGS)  with your platesetter buy a lg PSwoo combo that will get you to the felt line plus the combo with a pizza stone will get you up in the dome for pizza.  A good pair of thermo gloves ... not mittens ... gloves.  And mates also.
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Ceramic Grill Store (CGS)  with your platesetter buy a lg PSwoo combo that will get you to the felt line plus the combo with a pizza stone will get you up in the dome for pizza.  A good pair of thermo gloves ... not mittens ... gloves.  And mates also.
    Agree with all of the above but you don't need them immediately to begin to enjoy your new egg. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Protein, Patience, PBR & Practice!  

Grow your accessories as you can and get familiar with the whole thing. It's a new concept.

That being said, here's what I have already gotten in my first year of Egging...

• Large BGE in a nest with mates, grid lifter and ash tool
    • Grid cleaning brush - coiled wire thingy 
    • Platesetter
    • Pizza Stone
    • Fire bricks
    • Revolutionary Extreme Heat Gloves 
    • CGS Spider
    • 16" wok & shovel 
    • Homemade raised grid
    • A-Maze-N cold smoker 5x8
    • KickAsh Basket
    • SmokeWare Cap
    • SmokeWare 3" black thermometer
    • 2 Lodge cast iron skillets - 10" & 12"
    • 1 Lodge 7qt cast iron Dutch oven
    • 1 Lodge 32 oz cast iron baking dish
    • Laser gun thermometer
    • Quick read thermometer
    • 16" pizza pan w/ good lip for a drip tray
    • Vacuum Sealer
    • Anova Souse Vide, cambro & lid
    • 11" granton slicer
    • 10" granton butcher knife
    • 16 oz squeeze bottles
    • BGE T-shirt

Holy crap... I may have an addiction problem...

By no means do you need all this, but apparently I do!

Welcome to the family!

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the most used accessory i have is a thermapen, use it indoors and out almost daily.  best upgrade is a raised grid, cheap and easy or go all out at the ceramic grill store. cant go wrong either way. but get cooking, theres lots to add with the journey as you go
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited February 2017
    Options
    With already purchasing to BGE plate setter, a PSWoo, from Tom at The Ceramic Grill Store, will compliment it. If you have a need for a second level cooking, you can add that with the raised grid and sliding D grid also. No need for a plate setter lifter as the PS Woo has handles built in to it.
    And, if you like to cook a lot ribs and briskets, you can add the Oval Stone and bracket to the PSWoo.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    Thermopen
    SmokeWare chimney cap
    Aluminum pans - Costco sells 2 sizes in bulk
    Black Advance nitrile powder free gloves 
    A nice set of knives
    Plate setter
    Something to clean your grates with - The Great Scrape Woody Paddle 
    A Buttula
    Keep a few beer cans on hand
    Kamado Joe's Grill Gripper or gloves
    A shop vac 
    Something to start the Egg with - I use starter cubes and my husband uses a weed burner
    Foil pan lids to use as drip pans
    Aluminum foil in bulk
    Butcher paper
    More tongs than you think you need

Not essential, but nice to have:
    Food saver
    An extra fridge or deep freezer
    A Costco membership
    Lodge cast iron griddle
    Pizza stone
    Anova sous vide
    Garage shelving
    Outdoor Rubbermaid storage shed for charcoal
    An adjustable rig (Woo or homemade)

XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Another Egg and a Blackstone.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleRay415
    Options

How exciting!  The essentials:  Thermapen and good set of gloves.  Get yourself a big steak and enjoy watching the egg fire up like a turbo jet. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    TjEgg83 said:

Troy
    You don't need much.  Lots of nice to have items that make things easier or more efficient.  Take your time before adding items.  We love to spend other's money so you can get lots of ideas here.  Cook what you want and if you find yourself asking if there is a better way, then maybe its time for adding a new toy to the egg collection.  You should consider getting a good instant read thermometer. There are lots of cooks where they come in handy beyond the remote one you have.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.