Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Water in Your Whiskey, Yes or No

Options
Eoin
Eoin Posts: 4,304
I'm on the Yes side for Scotch over 40% ABV, especially the flavourful stuff like Islay malts. A drop of soda or sparkling mineral water gives a different flavour.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    No water, maybe on the rocks depending on how "hot" it is, but mostly neat
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Yes, generally a small splash. 

When in doubt, simply turn to the inimitable Richard Paterson for guidance......

https://youtu.be/YVG1U-faqHY

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Ice only or neat.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I enjoy the Ice Balls or neat for Bourbon and Crown. A good Scotch i prefer neat.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yeah I usually use 2-4 clean cubes. I like the temperature and the small amount opens up the notes a bit for my palate. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I jus put it in me IV and fix that up to a vein.
    Options
    Do you get the peaty smoky Islay goodness if you mainline?
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Yes, but the water content drops exponentially per ounce of alcohol drank
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Do you get the peaty smoky Islay goodness if you mainline?

Yes.  But not until he farts.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• InfectedDAS
    Options
    No water, unless is a cheap one or you're on a wedding which they serve it with sparkling water.

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Scotch with a splash of room temp water...
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Eoin
    Options
    No water, unless is a cheap one or you're on a wedding which they serve it with sparkling water.

I went to a Sikh wedding in Shefield about 12 years ago, there was a bottle of scotch on every table. Good do.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    i add one rock usually, with a pretty tall pour. starts out fairly neat, then as the cube melts it opens up a bit.

cask strength Laphroaig is supposed to be (according to them) diluted a bit.  but i was drinking it straight for a while.  bottle lasts longer if you add the water.  like scotch concentrate!
  • Eoin
    Options
    i add one rock usually, with a pretty tall pour. starts out fairly neat, then as the cube melts it opens up a bit.

cask strength Laphroaig is supposed to be (according to them) diluted a bit.  but i was drinking it straight for a while.  bottle lasts longer if you add the water.  like scotch concentrate!
    'Cask Strength' is used by some as a means of branding a higher ABV than standard (UK standard is 40 ABV). It's usually tweaked to give a consistent ABV, so some dilution. Natural cask strength is as it comes from the barrel and is variable. My current bottle of Caol Ila is 61.6% and at 60+% you need some dilution.

I like Laphroig, the Quarter Cask is nice if you get it over your side.
  • InfectedDAS
    Options
    @Eoin weddings on Mexico, well the celebration that is usually done in a saloon includes waitress and several beverages, whiskey included and they serve it with sparkling water. If you tip the waitress she can fix you up...but wedding parties are usually get wasted and dance without losing your cache, the magic of suits.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    i was drinking quarter cask last night, but couldn't upload a pic to the "what are you drinking" thread.

got it from santa

• Eoin
    Options
    @Eoin weddings on Mexico, well the celebration that is usually done in a saloon includes waitress and several beverages, whiskey included and they serve it with sparkling water. If you tip the waitress she can fix you up...but wedding parties are usually get wasted and dance without losing your cache, the magic of suits.
    My daughter has a Mexican friend she met in China. When she came over last summer she brought me over some proper Mezcales. Banging hangover material.
  • InfectedDAS
    Options
    @EoinI love mezcal, my now favorite drink. You should taste it with worm or cricket salt and orange.

If you like mezcal you should try Bacanora.... The best Bacanora is made in the backyard of an elder and he must give it to you as gift, usually in an unlabeled bottle.

Or get Bacanora in store, every Bacanora is craft and hand made.

• Eoin
    Options
    @EoinI love mezcal, my now favorite drink. You should taste it with worm or cricket salt and orange.

If you like mezcal you should try Bacanora.... The best Bacanora is made in the backyard of an elder and he must give it to you as gift, usually in an unlabeled bottle.

Or get Bacanora in store, every Bacanora is craft and hand made.

This stuff is Machincuepa, still got one unopened.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    When I'm not slumming it with coke zero and evans, I drink it neat or with a little water.  Never ice, I rarely like ice in any drink.
    Options
    No
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • InfectedDAS
    Options
    @Eoin good stuff you got there.

Here's a pic of a Bacanora bottle, not the best one but tasty:

• nolaegghead
    Options
    This thread has reminded me I'm almost out of bourbon.  BRB
    Options
     No ice, splash of water.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    No opinion with non-bourbons as it has been at least three decades since I wandered off the trail.
    With bourbon (that whiskey that does provide the barrels for scotch and tabasco), I will go with one or two rocks unless I'm way up the perceived food-chain then I will go neat.  The neat experience is generally only once or twice a year-and not tonight.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Ice yes at time but no water. But I don't drink much scotch anymore. Especially beyond 40%
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    No-  ice on occasion
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    Depends on my mood. Never with water if room temp. Sometimes a splash if on ice. Sometimes more . Also depends on the spirit. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    On my second Whistle pig, I did use an ice ball.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I go with one large ice cube with a tall pour. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.