Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold smoked cheese.

Options
It's my first go at cold smoked cheese.  I used the a-maze-n smoker with hickory pellets.  A total of 8 lbs of cheese for 5 hours.  Hopefully it will turn out ok.  
XL BGE  - Virginia

Comments

• ktpbighead
    Options
    I usually smoke mine for 2 or 3 hrs. Get some Habenero cheddar from Costco. That stuff is awesome 
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Oh yeah, it'll be smokey at 5 hours.
    Seal and let it mellow for 3 or 4 weeks.
    Then taste one, if needed, keep mellowing another couple weeks.
    3 hours of strong smoke will yield fine results. Your bricks look good.
    8 ounce bricks work well.
    You decide and keep notes on pellet flavor and time for your next run.
    Outstanding pics.. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Looks awesome ! Gonna do a few lbs when it gets over 20. Been a little chilly lately.   No melt from the temp- got that smoker on the grate.... nice.   Enjoy !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Looks great. I smoked cheese for the first time this winter and it turned out great. It gets better after it sits for a couple of weeks. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • BrueggeDad
    Options
    Yeah I saw that 3 hr is the typical limit,  but I didn't get the color I wanted plus I was smoking in 30 degree weather.  I should have pulled the the cheese earlier.  I hope I didn't over do it.  But I won't know until at least one week.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    @BrueggeDad ... Hey, let it mellow a few weeks and have a taste.
    Nothing lost for sure. It'll be fine.
    Then the next run adjust if necessary.
    Your good.  ;)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • BrueggeDad
    Options
    Durangler said:
    @BrueggeDad ... Hey, let it mellow a few weeks and have a taste.
    Nothing lost for sure. It'll be fine.
    Then the next run adjust if necessary.
    Your good.  ;)
    Thanks
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I always allow at least 4-5 weeks before tasting and smoke for 2.5 hours for my palet.  It only gets better with time and if it is vacuum sealed cheese will keep in the fridge for months.  Great pictures!

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • BrueggeDad
    Options
    I did vacuum seal.  So now I have to wait a coupl e weeks?
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 922
    Options
    Even with that much time, you may still like it.
    Normally I like 3 hours, but I pull some at 2 hours for the wife.
    I've had cheese smoked for a long time and really enjoyed it, but only in small quantities. I can eat too much of the 3 hour variety!
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.