Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti Tundra 45 - Anyone got one?

GrateEggspectations
GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,804
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
Found a good lead on a relatively inexpensive (though still pricey!) Yeti Tundra 45.

Principal use for me would be: (i) chilling beers and the like when hosting (thus keeping guests out of the kitchen and fridge), (ii) the occasional camping/road trip (three people in my immediate family - for now), and (iii) holding butts and briskets from cook completion to serving.

I should add that my vehicles do not feature much storage space, so I likely wouldn't be in a position to go for a cooler much bigger than this one.

Anyone own one or have some pros and cons to throw my way?

Not really looking for suggestions of alternatives - the price I'd be getting it at is likely better than alternatives and I'm in Canada, so access to RTIC and the like is limited/not cost effective.

Thanks all.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    I have the Yeti 50 and love it. Bought the 50 for the extra depth. I'm sure that the 45 is right on par with the 50 in terms of quality. With that said, I have had zero issues with the Yeti 50. 
    I would buy another one tomorrow if something happened to mine tonight. I could not be any happier with the Yeti 50. It has been an outstanding cooler not only for ice and drinks, but I use it as a cambro for Q as well.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited January 2017
    Wait @SGH I was under the impression you were an RTIC man?  So you would buy another YETI huh? ;)
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • GrateEggspectations
    edited January 2017
    Thanks @SGH. I appreciate the input. I wondered about the 50 as well, but I can save about $225 off the 45's $500 (plus tax) list price here. Also, I wonder whether the 50's larger size might be more than my vehicles can manage. Also, I read that the 45 can be carried by one alone (which may not be true of the 50) and I can assure you that my wife has no interest in carrying it.  ;)

Thanks again. 
  • Thanks @SGH. I appreciate the input. I wondered about the 50 as well, but I can save about $225 off the 45's $500 (plus tax) list price here. Also, I wonder whether the 50's larger size might be more than my vehicles can manage. Also, I read that the 45 can be carried by one alone (which may not be true of the 50) and I can assure you that my wife has no interest in carrying it.  ;)

Thanks again. 
    I'm also looking for a new cooler. Care to share where you can get it at that price?
  • SGH
    edited January 2017
    jls9595 said:
    Wait @SGH I was under the impression you were an RTIC man?  So you would buy another YETI huh? ;)
    Here is the truth. A good product is a good product no matter the name. I never said that Yeti wasn't good, just that they are over priced. And I still stand by that statement; the are indeed overpriced. 
    However there is no denying the quality of Yeti coolers. They are top notch without question or peer. Yeti is the only manufacturer that makes an "extra depth" model that I know of. Not everyone needs or even likes the extra depth. However it's a life saver for what I use the coolers for. It is for this reason that I bought a Yeti 50 as well as a Yeti 210. 
    I own Engel, Pelican, Orca, RTIC and Yeti coolers. The 2 Yeti extra depth models are far and away my most used coolers. On that note, if RTIC offered an extra depth model, I would jump on it and recommend it over the Yetis stricltly due to the price difference. 
    Yeti got my money because they offered something that I both wanted and needed. No one else had a cooler that would fill my particular need. With that said, if Yeti remains the only manufacturer to offer extra depth models, I will always have a Yeti. Sometimes a need or want out weighs the price. This was indeed the case in my situation. Yeti offered something that I wanted and the others did not. 
    In Yetis defense, their coolers is as good as it gets. There is no question or debate about this. No one makes a better cooler period. However several manufacturers make one just as good at a lower price. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GrateEggspectations
    edited January 2017
    @SGH: Is it true that the 45's max capacity is 23 HTs (Hog Testicles)?  ;)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,010
    I have a Yeti 65 and it is great for long holds.  The only downsides are the weight and the fact that it basically melts one bag of ice in the initial cooldown, but once it is cold it is good for 6 days in my experience.  As a result for most uses, I use one of m other cheaper coolers.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    edited January 2017
    Thanks @SGH. I appreciate the input. I wondered about the 50 as well, but I can save about $225 off the 45's $500 (plus tax) list price here. Also, I wonder whether the 50's larger size might be more than my vehicles can manage. Also, I read that the 45 can be carried by one alone (which may not be true of the 50) and I can assure you that my wife has no interest in carrying it.  ;)

Thanks again. 
    The 50 is just a tad deeper than the 45. Everything else (length & width) is the same. If you are interested in the 50, it would definitely get my vote over the 45. However you need to consider what you will use it for. The extra depth may not be something that you need or even want. It may actually cause a issue due to its height. 
    In my case it was a no brainer. The 50 filled a specific need for me. As did the 210. If you don't need the 50, you may be happier with the 45. However for my use, the Yeti 50 has been a life saver. It's just my humble opinion, but the Yeti 50 is as close to the "perfect cooler" as you can get for everyday use. Yeti got that one right. 

Status- Standing by.

• @chuckytheegghead: Sorry Chucky - an acquaintance is selling a prize they won, so there's just the one. They want $350. Still pricey, but beats the $575 (taxes in)! 
  • No worries. They are 350 down here anyways. 
  • @chuckytheegghead: Really? Where can you get them for $350? I assume you'd be paying the tax on top?
  • Yes. Still tax on top, but bass pro anyways
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,345
    I have a 45 that I love! I've used it to rest butts/briskets, camping float trips (3 days), fishing trips, hurricanes etc...! It always comes in clutch. If you pre-cool it will hold ice for 6-7 days easy if it's packed full. I bought the 45 over the 50 because I felt it was a more stable casting platform and it holds everything I need it too. I can pick it up and move it when it's full but it's not necessarily fun! It's easier with two people but much easier to manage by yourself than the 65. As @SGH said they are quality products. I had an older 45 and it's lid warped, yeti took it back no questions asked and paid for the shipping. They even sent me a replacement seadek. I will say if you're paying $350 I think you can get a 45 RTIC right now for half that price. As a owner of multiple yetis, if I would have known about RTIC and NOT have gotten a good deal on the yetis I would have tried RTIC (still might).
    LBGE
    AL
  • PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    RTIC 45 is on sale right now for ~150$ and 65 for ~170$.  Im really tempted to order one..
  • The Yeti 45 is the best one they make. I have had a 65, I kept the 75 and my fishing buddy has the 45. We use it the most. The 75 is great but 1) way too heavy when loaded (2 man lift) and 2) is only really effective for like long camping weekends or big cooking festival type deals. 

The only reason I keep the 75 is because my buddy lets me borrow his 45 whenever I want. 

You wont regret it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• @chuckytheegghead: Is that $350 CAD? If so, that's a fantastic price!
  • Thanks for the input all. I'd be down for RTIC (I have some tumblers) but I'm Canada - RTIC is difficult to find, and when you do, it's pricey as hell. If anyone has leads on RTICs in Canada for cheap, please let me know.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,345
    @chuckytheegghead: Is that $350 CAD? If so, that's a fantastic price!
    He's probably quoting US $$. I didn't realize we were talking Canadian, it sounds like your getting the yeti 45 for around $260 US. If that's the case that's still expensive but pull the trigger! The tundras don't go on sale down here (at least I've never seen them), you probably won't find another deal like that if its new.
    LBGE
    AL
  • @TideEggHead: Thanks for the encouragement. I also think I'm unlikely to find a deal that good - even while on travel in the U.S. Not sure how the warranty will work if I'm not buying new from an authorized seller. My guess is that I won't have one. I'm thinking that's not a big deal, as it sounds like they'll well made units with little likelihood of trouble in the first few years. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,803
    I have a yeti 45 and love it. It lives in the back of my truck.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,688
    edited January 2017
    Was given a Roadie and bought a 45. Got the 45 as it was the largest one I thought I could lift full. We have traveled hard the past 30 months and both of them go every mile. The 45 keeps ice longer than the Roadie. 
    Outstanding cooler. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Had a 45 I got as a graduation present . Traveled everywhere with me. For what you're describing is a perfect fit .. I think imo 
    could keep ice for 4-5 days and not too heavy to lift by myself 
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    I first got the 110 for hauling meat to competitions. I take frozen SRF brisket out of the freezer and put in the Yeti with a couple of bags of ice 5 to 6 days before the competition. The night before we leave, I put the rest of the meat in the cooler and top it off with ice and I am good to go until we come home. It worked so well I got a 65 next for all of the sauces, injections, brines, etc.. That was great! Next came the 45 for anything else we carry. My ice bill is way down. Love my Yetis!
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,131
    I have a 65 that was given to me by a vendor.  I would rather have the 50 for the additional height but for what I use it for in general its great.  Its light enough that I can move it empty by myself, I even store it high in the garage.  When even remotely full however I cant move it by myself and its more due to width AND height just not the right ergonomics to lift that weight.  I have considered wheels but I just dont use it enough to warrant it.

How good are they?  Since we had family and friends running through the house for 5 days around xmas I just put the cooler in the kitchen, put beer from the o/s fridge in it and ~8# bag of ice left over from before that was already in the freezer.  People added and removed beer/ wine along the way.

That pic was taken ~30 hours in and there was still 4# of ice beer was still cold.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    I debated between the 45 and the 50 pretty hard. The 45 won out because it will fit under the bed cover of my pickup. With the 50 I had to fold the cover back. FWIW.
  • @chuckytheegghead: Is that $350 CAD? If so, that's a fantastic price!
    Yes that is CDN funds
  • Really? When I consulted the website, it said all prices in U.S. funds. Regardless, that's a great deal!!
  • Yeah, that's what they had posted in store. But I've been considering the rtic so I'm not sure which way to go. The price is sweet on the rtic but I'd have to jump the ditch to pick it up. 
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    edited January 2017
    Btw, they don't accept CDN credit cards
  • That was in reference to RTIC