Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti Tundra 45 - Anyone got one?

2»

Comments

• I have a 45 and it is great. You can put some Seadek foam on the top of it and use it as a casting platform when fishing - solidly built. I have held pork butts for 8 hours and they come out as if I just removed them from the Egg. Pre-cooling is a good idea if you need maximal duration ice. Realistically, in the summer, just loading it up with ice and cans/bottles I can get 2-3 days stored in a hot car.
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I have a 35 that I got for $0 as a promo (that I was completely unaware of), it seems like a solid cooler.

Incidently, I've seen the 45 for $350 both online and in an Ace near me.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Thanks to all for the input. 

Picked up the 45 and am thrilled. Looks great.

Tried to coerce my wife into a fit of "YETI butting" for the forum, but she declined.   ;)
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Thanks to all for the input. 

Tried to coerce my wife into a fit of "YETI butting" for the forum, but she declined.   ;)
    YETI BUTTING...who knew? Had to google that.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • TFols said:

YETI BUTTING...who knew? Had to google that.
    Not me. I also had to use the google machine. 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,345

Congrats on the cooler! Coolers of that sort can be pretty versatile just like our eggs! I use it to hide Christmas presents from the wife! Don't forget to make use as a meat rester/transporter!
    LBGE
    AL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Who doesn't love Harambe?

Who is HOARAMOBE?  ;)
  • Who is HOARAMOBE?  ;)
    The Os are silent, most of the time.  ;)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Guess they didn't do the best job covering the "o"s.
    edited January 2017
    Mickey said:
    Was given a Roadie and bought a 45. Got the 45 as it was the largest one I thought I could lift full. We have traveled hard the past 30 months and both of them go every mile. The 45 keeps ice longer than the Roadie. 
    Outstanding cooler. 
    I have about the same but I got the 50 instead of the 45. Once the kids are old enough to camp I will most likely get the larger pelican with wheels unless there is a blue yeti with wheels by then.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Love my 45. I bought a fold up wagon at Academy to tote it around. It is wonderful for resting briskets after an overnight cool.
    If you sign up the emails at Austin Kayak (ack.com), they include coupons every month and they ship for free. I caught a 20% coupon and got the Roadie for 200. Also, if you know any GIs with BX access, the 45s go for 314 tax free. 

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • @GQuiz: Thanks for the leads on the Yetis. I'm in Canada, so the exchange, duties, taxes and shipping can make for extraordinary pricing. Case in point - I went to buy the $24.99 divider for the Tundra 45 on Yeti's website. Once it was rung up, I was looking at over $70 CAD. 

Accordingly, I did pretty well with this Yeti 45. $350 CAD all in rather than $575 CAD (taxes in).
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,131
    For those of you at work SFW- #yetipups
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Nice score on the yeti
  • Sweet! Btw, I was looking at the rtic some more. Did you realize they only have a 90 warranty? 
  • Sweet! Btw, I was looking at the rtic some more. Did you realize they only have a 90 warranty? 
    What's a "90 warranty"? 90 days?

The Yeti carries a limited 5 year warranty against defects. http://intl.yeti.com/warranty-information
  • That's what I said too. So I'll likely go yeti as well. Also, you may able to get warranty on yours if you ever should need it as it is technically new-worth looking in to. Although I'm confident you won't need it. 
  • @chuckytheegghead: Thanks for the suggestion. I got it in an unopened box shipped from Dicks Sports, complete will all tags and warranty cards. I'm confident I'll be able to access the warranty. Though as you note, I doubt it'll be needed. 

Unfortunately, when I went to register it, Yeti's registration page was wonky (and has been ever since). Guess I'll keep and eye on it and register when I can. 

Keep me posted as to your cooler decision. If you need any input on the Tundra 45 (or just the Tundra series fit and finish generally), more than happy to share my impressions.
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 245
    Btw, they don't accept CDN credit cards
    You have to get creative!  Here's what I did...(just last week)

I have a friend who lives close to the US border, so close they have a US post office box.  I used their US address as the shipping address (used the physical address of the outlet, not the PO Box...as RTIC does not ship to PO Boxes).

I then changed the secondary address of my Canadian credit card to the US shipping outlet (PO Box) that my friend uses.  Important, because when ordering online, your credit card info must match perfectly.  So when it asked for the "US address including Zip Code" when entering the credit card info, I entered the US address for the shipping outlet and everything was cross referenced perfectly.

I then drove down to visit my friend, went for a quick drive to the US, picked up the "goods", declared everything as an honest guy would...and paid my GST (5%) and went on my way.

What was interesting...they did not charge me duty...as the product was shipped out of Texas.  Saved me a few sheckles.

Why did I go through all that trouble?  

Total cost was approx $450cdn.  That got me a RTIC 45, a RTIC 20, two 18oz RTIC vac bottles and one 64oz vac bottle. (5 items total...2 coolers!)

To compare...Cabelas in Calgary has the YETI 45 on for $499cdn...plus GST.

Spent some money on fuel, but got to visit some friends I rarely get to see...priceless.

Coolers look great.  Bottles as well.  Wife loves the bottles for tea, etc.  Gave the RTIC 20 to the BIL for Christmas.  Keeping the 45 for remote camping in the summer.  Can't wait.

Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    Pizza oven
    2 Dogs Back to 3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Sweet! Btw, I was looking at the rtic some more. Did you realize they only have a 90 warranty? 
    Cause they are **** quality. They are sponsored by broke back mountain bunch of gay dudes love em. I'll stick with my Yetis. 
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    @Lit Then after Yeti lost the lawsuit, why did they turn right around and rip off RTICs better soft side cooler?  Invention breeds competition. I love that RTICs 45 holds almost as much as YETIs 65. True space means something!