Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE'ed my first turkey! With pics

Options
TheToast
TheToast Posts: 376
edited December 2016 in Poultry

Yesterday, I was cooking turkey for a large Christmas gathering at my inlaws house. They wanted a lot of meat not just for lunch but for buffet in the evening when about 30-40 friends and relatives come round. Decided upon two average sized birds (4.6kg and 5.7kg) rather than one massive one. 

One I was putting in the traditional oven using this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/890646/roast-turkey-with-citrus-butter#tab-comments

The bigger one in the BGE, using Mad Max method.  I added some olive and apple wood. And I put most of the rub under the skin rather than on top. 

PROGRESS SHOT. ALMOST DONE. 

I used the 'bacon shield' on the oven one - adjusted the recipe so that it's in a loose foil tent for most of the cooking, then removing the foil and bacon at the end to brown up. 

FINISHED BIRDS

Both turkeys turned out great - BGE one cooked a little quicker than expected. The oven one took about an hour extra. But the BGE one was UNBELIEVABLE. I cannot conceive how / why it was so damn good. I don't wet brine - never had. Am too lazy and don't have the room. I prepped them both a day before so they had about 24hrs with salt on them (dry brine) - maybe that helps. But both turkeys were wet inside - squirting juices when I pulled meat from them. Probably helped that they both rested for about 3 hours (wrapped in foil and towel). 

The citrus one is a very good recipe btw - orangey, rather than lemony (don't really like very lemony flavour - can taste like bathroom cleaner!). 

And the gravy made from the combined juices was divine - the mad max butter and rub, combined with BGE smoke made a strong tasting, rich, delicious gravy. 

ONE HALF CARVED.

ON THE PLATE

Hope you had a great Christmas. Have a great 2017 and thanks for all the advice and inspiration. Today is my one year Big Green Egg ownership anniversary! A year ago in the UK they were pretty much unknown but now I'm seeing them creep into restaurants. Still not met another home owner though. 

Comments

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Looks great. I've had my Egg for years now and have yet to do a turkey on it. That will change soon. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • joeybrown105
    Options
    Great job @TheToast!
    Nashville, TN

Medium BGE | Large BGE | Little Griddle | Kick Ash Basket | Looftlighter
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    That looks delicious, especially the one on the Egg.  Happy anniversary and also look forward to all the great cooks in 2017.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That's a strong cook my friend!  Your Christmas looked merry indeed!  Happy New Year!
    Flint, Michigan
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Very nice. We've done Mad Max turkeys for the last couple Thanksgivings and they always come out great. 

One question though - why are you drinking bathroom cleaner since you know what it tastes like?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Great cook and result right there.  Congrats and best wishes for 2017.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Awesome job! Merry Christmas and Happy new year. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Boy does that plate look great. Nice work.
    Stillwater, MN