Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib How-To:

Options

Comments

• herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    Happy to read thirdeye's description of cooking rib roast raised direct.  He says, "the fats dripping into the coals during the cook add a great old-time flavor".  I've thought that for nearly all meats, but nearly impossible to control the flare-ups on other grills & smokers.  At least it requires constant diligence and tending.

Now that I have a BGE, I'm learning it's not a problem.  Haven't done a rib roast yet... have been learning on other stuff first.  So looking forward to doing the beef roast soon.

Thirdeye's method is:  "In my Egg I use my Woo ring, grate and then the BGE grate extender".  Fortunately I have already obtained those things.  So I'm ready!!!  Maybe for New Year.

Do any of y'all do raised direct for beef rib roast?
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've probably cooked well over a thousand prime rib roasts.  Salt and pepper then on a rack at 200F.
     How long for a seven pounder for medium rare?
    They all take about the same time.   At 200F you're probably looking at 5-6 hours.  Higher temps will cook faster.  Once you're at 120F you can pull it - it will rise 5-8F after it's off the egg.  You can keep it warm for hours in an oven on low.
    Options

I've been reading these threads on the Prime Rib and really want to do one. The thing stopping me is that most of my family don't like rare/medium rare and prime rib for me looks so raw.  I'm usually a medium rare to medium person.  Everyone, virtually without exception, calls for these to be medium rare, but the pictures look extremely rare to me. I know, I know.. cook to your preference.  I guess I'm thinking that cooking these to medium must be considered a no-no as it must ruin these big beautiful roasts.  Does anyone else cook these to medium?

Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    I am in the same boat stevez. Still debating what to cook besides lamb chops.
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited December 2016
    Options
    stevez said:

I know, I know.. cook to your preference. 

You already have the answer my friend.  Your money, your egg, your cook, your decision.  Eat what you want, how you want.

That being said,  I'd be willing to wager that these roasts look rarer to you than they are because of the way they were roasted.  The wall-to-wall med rare looks different than the bullseye pattern most people are used to. 

Good luck and I'm sure your family will love whatever you cook.

@newbeeminimax Your money, your egg, your cook, your decision

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Different cuts of beef at the same temperature have different shades of red.  The way meat is cooked can influence the color, not just temp.  It's simply a matter of myoglobin binding to oxygen (see below).  Some people judge the edibility (maybe palatability is a better word) of meat solely based on the shade of red (tending towards the lack of it).  

If we could cook a medium rare steak that looked like a medium well steak, I'd bet a dollar those medium well folks would say it was the best steak they ever ate.  But I've been known to be wrong before, and taste is subjective and tough to predict.

from wiki

Myoglobin contains hemes, pigments responsible for the color of red meat. The color that meat takes is partly determined by the degree of oxidation of the myoglobin. In fresh meat the iron atom is the ferrous (+2) oxidation state bound to an oxygen molecule (O2). Meat cooked well done is brown because the iron atom is now in the ferric (+3) oxidation state, having lost an electron. If meat has been exposed to nitrites, it will remain pink because the iron atom is bound to NO, nitric oxide (true of, e.g., corned beef or cured hams). Grilled meats can also take on a pink "smoke ring" that comes from the iron binding to a molecule of carbon monoxide.[10] Raw meat packed in a carbon monoxide atmosphere also shows this same pink "smoke ring" due to the same principles. Notably, the surface of this raw meat also displays the pink color, which is usually associated in consumers' minds with fresh meat. This artificially induced pink color can persist, reportedly up to one year.[11] Hormel and Cargill are both reported to use this meat-packing process, and meat treated this way has been in the consumer market since 2003.[12]

Options
    Good thing Stike isn't around anymore because he would accuse me of being pendantic for that last post. 
    Options
    @stevez, there is nothing wrong with cooking your prime rib to a higher temperature.  It's just not the preference of most people here and some of them get a little judgy about it and suggest that cooking it past medium rare is a criminal act - but I'm pretty sure that's not true. 

The issue for some is that they really prefer a higher crust to pink/red meat ratio so a steak is a better way to go for them. Eating whole bites of medium rare meat without any crust is a dream for some, but not for others. 

Personally, I prefer a tenderloin cooked medium (that's two crimes to some).  I prefer leaner meat and the smaller diameter gives a crust to meat ratio that I just like. 

So, cook what you like, how you like it and enjoy it.  And on occasion, cook it how others seem to like it just to see if it is your cup of tea.  On occasion, you will convert to their way of doing things, which can also be enjoyable.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Good thing Stike isn't around anymore because he would accuse me of being pendantic for that last post. 
    stike never accused you of being pedantic. not sure where that came from.

pedantry is what people accuse others of when they don't realize you are simply providing an actual and thorough  answer to the question someone asked.

the internet complicates things with lack of tone, but generally, giving a thorough answer but being accused of pdeantry is still better than giving a "well, i have been told that...." broscience answer and perpetuating a myth

• stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    Wow, you guys are good!  Really, great information.  I skipped chemistry in high school and now I know why!  Wish I had taken it now.  Seriously, thanks for the information.  I really never thought about the ratio of crust to pink meat concept, but in thinking about it, I agree.  I love the crust part of meat similar to loving bark on my briskets.  Great feedback and that's why I love this site.  Appreciate it. 
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    stevez said:
    Wow, you guys are good! 

Don't give Feldown any credit.  This guy just posts comments to pad his post count.  Doesn't even post any cooks.  What a sham.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    I don't even own an egg
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    I don't even own an egg

And I think he's a vegan.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    edited December 2016
    Options

pedantry is what people accuse others of when they don't realize you are simply providing an actual and thorough  answer to the question someone asked.

the internet complicates things with lack of tone, but generally, giving a thorough answer but being accused of pdeantry is still better than giving a "well, i have been told that...." broscience answer and perpetuating a myth

First of all, let me apologize for my lack of emoticons, I probably could take a page from fishlessguy's book (go f*ck yurself =)=)=) ) that's just me being lazy and seems like at some level I might want to have a confusing tone, at least in some cases. 

That said, that Stike guy busted my ass years ago for using big words to prop up my cred, which was probably true, and invariably has (my big words) contributed to some others calling my posts condescending, which some are.  Hence the source of the joke.  I deserved it, probably.  I can be self-effacing and say as much.

Part of my faux online persona is an attempt to be pedantic, so between that and having thick skin, I'm not offended, at all, by anything. 

The only thing important to me is to only perpetuate truth and useful information, or complete falsehoods padded with sarcasm.  To offend those that I feel need offending and keep things weird and interesting because I like to push the envelope.  Encourage others to learn to catch fish.  Being a foil.

I liked stike, learned a lot from him.  But that post was supposed to be funny.
    Options

Well, I, for one appreciate the opportunity for self improvement.  After all, before I read this I had no idea what "pedantic" meant.  Now!!:

adjective

ostentatious in one's learning.
    overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching.

Whooo Hooo.  And I thought I was just going to learn how to smoke meat and other savory foods! 

Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    stevez said:

Well, I, for one appreciate the opportunity for self improvement.  After all, before I read this I had no idea what "pedantic" meant.  Now!!:

adjective

ostentatious in one's learning.
    overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching.

Whooo Hooo.  And I thought I was just going to learn how to smoke meat and other savory foods! 

See. If someone ends up learning something, can't be bad. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Image result for knowledge is good
    Options
    Damn vandals.
    Image result for knowledge is good

Put my 7 lb. prime rib in the sous vide bath at 125.6° an hour ago. So it'll be seared around 8 pm tomorrow night before slicing. No idea why 125.6° but it's what my Anova sous vide app that operates my device said to use. Before closing the bag I added salt, pepper, worcestershire and fresh rosemary.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    @nolaegghead always seemed trustworthy brave and courteous to me...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pedantophile

;)

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Put my 7 lb. prime rib in the sous vide bath at 125.6° an hour ago. So it'll be seared around 8 pm tomorrow night before slicing. No idea why 125.6° but it's what my Anova sous vide app that operates my device said to use. Before closing the bag I added salt, pepper, worcestershire and fresh rosemary.
    @egghead_bubba - You don't want to exceed 4 hours below 130F.  So the recipe would be 125.6F for 4 hours then sear and eat.
    Options
    herbu said:

I don't because I like to collect the drippings so I can make Yorkshire Pudding.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    herbu said:

I don't because I like to collect the drippings so I can make Yorkshire Pudding.  
    Never tried that... BUT IT'S ON MY LIST!!!
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • Little Steven
    Options

First of all, let me apologize for my lack of emoticons, I probably could take a page from fishlessguy's book (go f*ck yurself =)=)=) ) that's just me being lazy and seems like at some level I might want to have a confusing tone, at least in some cases. 

That said, that Stike guy busted my ass years ago for using big words to prop up my cred, which was probably true, and invariably has (my big words) contributed to some others calling my posts condescending, which some are.  Hence the source of the joke.  I deserved it, probably.  I can be self-effacing and say as much.

Part of my faux online persona is an attempt to be pedantic, so between that and having thick skin, I'm not offended, at all, by anything. 

The only thing important to me is to only perpetuate truth and useful information, or complete falsehoods padded with sarcasm.  To offend those that I feel need offending and keep things weird and interesting because I like to push the envelope.  Encourage others to learn to catch fish.  Being a foil.

I liked stike, learned a lot from him.  But that post was supposed to be funny.
    stike was really quite an idiot

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @egghead_bubba - You don't want to exceed 4 hours below 130F.  So the recipe would be 125.6F for 4 hours then sear and eat.
    That's odd, the recipe stated 24 hours at that temp. It's been going since 2 PM today. Guess I should bump the temp up to 131°. Whatcha think?

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That's odd, the recipe stated 24 hours at that temp. It's been going since 2 PM today. Guess I should bump the temp up to 131°. Whatcha think?
    Recipe is odd at least.  Bump the temp as stated.  The duration stated is too long.  You'll not have MR if you sear after the day long heat.  IMHO
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    What recipe are you following? I would bump.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    DMW said:
    Here's the recipe... so do you think bumping it to 131° until I sear it tomorrow night around 7 PM will be okay?

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:
    Here's the recipe... so do you think bumping it to 131° until I sear it tomorrow night around 7 PM will be okay?
    I don't see the value in going 24 hours on a prime rib, but anything over 4 hours I would go 131*. I glanced at the recipe and there isn't any reason given for the extended SV at those temps. Doesn't make sense to me.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,415
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have no dog in this but talk about getting axle-wrapped once you move from analog to digital.  Here we are.  Good luck, enjoy the eats and above all, have fun.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.