Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib How-To:

Options
JustineCaseyFeldown
JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
edited December 2016 in EggHead Forum
Not so fast there, cowpoke. Never called myself an expert

but this guy is...
Not my info here (link below), but rather Thirdeye's. 

This was the guy who answered Prime Rib questions at Christmas the way Max did turkey-related ones at Thanksgiving 

check out the rest of the site when you have time. 

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

plenty of info including a rough guide to cook times by weight, with data gathered from some forum folks. And more than one set-up for cooking

Note: He starts with the timing info because I think it was a later edit. The pithy stuff (how to choose a PR, what to look for, direct vs indirect, and THREE versions of RRP's au jus recipe) is further down

guy knows a thing or twelve re curing too

definitely missed here

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @JustineCaseyFeldown
    He still participates on a limited basis over on the Brethern.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    That is my go to base instruction set. I don't deviate much, it's a sound guide.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Rad5
    Rad5 Posts: 35
    Options
    Prime rib is such a good cut of meat you do not need to go slow & low. You can roast/smoke it higher temps and it will still come out moist and tender. I usually  start at 400 for 10-15 min to get a good crust then finish at 350 degrees. If I'm smoking, ill go down to 300 just to give it some more time accept smoke.
    Orlando, FL 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Rad5 said:
    Prime rib is such a good cut of meat you do not need to go slow & low. You can roast/smoke it higher temps and it will still come out moist and tender. I usually  start at 400 for 10-15 min to get a good crust then finish at 350 degrees. If I'm smoking, ill go down to 300 just to give it some more time accept smoke.
    I never add any wood to mine. I am on the low and slow plan. Lots of ways to skin that cow I guess. Agree it is a great cut of meat. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Rad5 said:
    "Low and slow" doesn't mean anything special other than a low temperature.

Final internal temp is what we care about. 

no one is advocating cooking this to 200 and pulling/shredding it. Like a pork butt

Roasting slow will give you maximum uniform cross section. No hot overcooked outer layer with a small inner fore of medium rare, but a uniform cross section of med rare

It also gives you a crisp crust, and fantasic exterior color. 

Has absolutely nothing to do with lo-and-slo barbecue (like a pork butt)

the hotter you go the more the exterior overcooks while the center comes to temp. 

"Slow roasted". Some places go 200 or so even. Doesn't dry the meat. We arent taking it through a plateau or anything. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
     I'd say cooking at a lower temp would also be more forgiving if one accidentally overshot the target temp in the carryover after pulling it out 

i second not not adding smoke wood to this cut

salt pepper garlic herbs
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Yes, this is one of the easiest cooks there is in my opinion. I cook it at low temps and reverse sear. Take it to about 118-120F and then set it aside. I also use one "stick" of oak.  (A piece of wood about 8" long and about 1/4-3/8 " diameter.) Not much smoke but a touch.  I love oak on this  cut.

Take it out and let it rest. And I let the egg get to 400-450, and when the sides are getting ready to be put in the serving bowls - That may be 5 mins or 25 mins), I put it back in the egg for about 5 minutes, then carve table side with a sizzle.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Oak is really good with this. Not a continuous smoke, just a hit. 

And it's always best if you buy a photogenic knife, and then lay it next to your roast when you take a photo. Then, everyone will want to shake your hand at an eggfest! 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options
    Thank for posting this!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Just a hit of oak? Lmfao
    It's a uuge chunk of beef, pro.

Wow, trip back in time, when I first started out.
    Pics are on par with yours.....mosaic....absolutely stunning.  The composition..attention to detail..true masterpieces.

Your link, makes me appreciate Kenji, and Meathead, and many others, now.

Thanks for the DeLorean ride.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    This is my christmas eve tradition.. come to my house you get a prime or SRF wagyu prime rib.. we ask no questions just that you enjoy the meal, a good wine or high end limited craft beer and maybe help my drunk ass put the kids toys together.

Anywho- 225 in egg till temp with one chunk of osk or bourbon barrel.. Rosemary salt and pepper rub.. Cook to 110, pull cover and rest. 600-800 dome. sear and roll around and rest once color is good and 125 on temp.

My 2 year old twins sopped up the board with bread.. and they are vegan.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    just kidding.. they aint vegan or I'd give them away. All 3 eat meat like a cave man, but seriously.. cook how you want to temp.. if high early skip a sear.. low early, sear and plan for 10-15 less for temp finish before on a 6-8 pound roast.

I'll post a cook soon. My bonus sucked so jelly of the month club and a prime costco it is this year. My bro who is a chef will be around so I plan to contribute more.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Focker said:
    Just a hit of oak? Lmfao
    It's a uuge chunk of beef, pro.

Wow, trip back in time, when I first started out.
    Pics are on par with yours.....mosaic....absolutely stunning.  The composition..attention to detail..true masterpieces.

Your link, makes me appreciate Kenji, and Meathead, and many others, now.

Thanks for the DeLorean ride.
    thank you for your opinion. 

• Focker
    Options
    I am still blown away.
    The use of words....in the work.
    Symbolic use of red font, representing fire....so hot.
    His work is so advanced...ahead of its time.
    Is thirdeye a descendant of da Vinci?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Thanks again for your opinion

It is very helpful and you have been very thorough in considering it. 
  • piperpilot
    Options
    Quick question guys...when you talk about the sear part of the cook, do you do that indirect or direct?  I'm trying to figure out how to get a good sear all around the roast...thinking it would brown better if it was 600-700 indirect...better chance of browning and not burning.  But indirect and closed lid would also mean more heat on the roast meaning more cooked exterior.

Someone help clear me up!  14 pounder ready for Christmas day.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    I never sear. Crust is always brown and crispy. 

Dried a few days then roasted slow at 225-250
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2016
    Options

There are lots of experts that tout the low temp roasts now. More than there used to be. My Mom told me that it was the best way to cook good quality meat when I was a kid. Believe me we  weren't in a financial position to waste good meat the coupla times a year we could afford it.

Ever go to a restaurant that has a "Prime Rib special"? They serve it fairly quick eh? That's cause they cook it to rare in a 200* oven and throw service slices in the salamander before service. Length of time in the salamander determines the doneness. This is nothing new.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've probably cooked well over a thousand prime rib roasts.  Salt and pepper then on a rack at 200F.
    I've probably cooked well over a thousand prime rib roasts.  Salt and pepper then on a rack at 200F.

One would think you would be a much heavier man.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Quick question guys...when you talk about the sear part of the cook, do you do that indirect or direct?  I'm trying to figure out how to get a good sear all around the roast...thinking it would brown better if it was 600-700 indirect...better chance of browning and not burning.  But indirect and closed lid would also mean more heat on the roast meaning more cooked exterior.

Someone help clear me up!  14 pounder ready for Christmas day.
    The sear bit is the groupthink opinion of the day. Try the low temp cook and decide on the sear after. I have never felt the need. The maillard reaction is complete when the crust is mahogany colour.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    I'll be starting a 7 lb. prime rib sous vide tomorrow morning. Most likely it'll be at 131° for around 30 hours. A quick sear before slicing/serving. Should be delicious!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    reverse sear is the flavor of the month. Great ofea for a steak. But like everything it quickly gets applied to every damn food. 

Roasts get roasted. Properly done you get a better crust than if you seared it 

Surprised
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    PSA:  Unless you like your prime rib well done, searing it can destroy (through overcooking) the best part - the spinalis dorsi aka "butcher's butter".

I worked in a restaurant (HS/college) where this was a feature menu item.  We never seared them.  It's extra work that doesn't improve them.  To properly sear, cut into steaks and grill them. 
    Options
    PSA:  Unless you like your prime rib well done, searing it can destroy (through overcooking) the best part - the spinalis dorsi aka "butcher's butter".

I worked in a restaurant (HS/college) where this was a feature menu item.  We never seared them.  It's extra work that doesn't improve them.  To properly sear, cut into steaks and grill them. 
    Here's a perfect example of that on one I reversed seared.

Never again.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,410
    Options
    If you want to create your rib eye cap, here's a video that will take you thru it, should you be so inclined.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJH3qwIHeDc

Even I have been successful following this so anyone can achieve victory. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    reverse sear is the flavor of the month. Great ofea for a steak. But like everything it quickly gets applied to every damn food. 

Roasts get roasted. Properly done you get a better crust than if you seared it 

Surprised

That's just crazy talk!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    If you want to create your rib eye cap, here's a video that will take you thru it, should you be so inclined.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJH3qwIHeDc

Even I have been successful following this so anyone can achieve victory. 
    Good vid cap, Meathead also advocates making a boneless round roast vs an unevenly shaped, and cooked, one....makes complete sense.

Thinking about trying this on my upcoming roast.  Could always grind the dry aged fat/meat with beef, deer, definitely won't go to waste.

The rolled cap looks awesome.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
     How long for a seven pounder for medium rare?
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE