Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Stromboli Gods were merciful tonight.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Fellows, the vast majority of you here are far better bakers than I. With that said, I will spare you the details as you already probably know them. I will simply say that the Stromboli Gods truly smiled down upon me tonight. This was fukking incredible. Far and away the best one that I have ever made. The only thing I did different than normal was use a different cheese, add homemade Italian meatballs, and cook it over pecan wood in the big vertical. I used my platesetter and oval stone in the vertical. This was a tip suggested to me about 2 years ago by @DMW. It worked like a charm.  

Fellows, I hope that y'all enjoy this half as much as I did. Thanks for taking a peek my friends.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks jam up Scotty! 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The Stomboli Gods are smiling for damn  sure!!  That looks great Scotty!  Stromboli Gods Seal of Approval.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Probably a poor representation of a pipe layer/well digger too.  Betcha pretty shabby welder also.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • steelcityegger
    Options
    Looks awesome!
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Nicely done sir!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Stromboli is the gift food of all Gods, that should bring rain and wealth for the rest of your life. Great cook, as always.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    **** yeah!  Nice job Scottie!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That looks great. How hot and how long?
    Stillwater, MN
  • SGH
    Options
    That looks great. How hot and how long?
    Thank you brother. 450 degrees for 28 minutes. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@SGH   You've always said that you don't claim to be a pizza guy - or something along those lines.  Looks like strong work to me, very restauranty in appearance.

Phoenix 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Fantastic result... Congrats great cook..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Man that looks good!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Looks Great!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    WOW!

Options
    That, sir, is a work of art! I know it tasted as good as it looks. Something magical about a stuffed pastry.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    looks great to me, what kind of cheese were you using and what did you change it too. 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SGH - Looks great! I don't recall recommending that setup to you, but glad to hear it worked out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Nicely done brother! Now I have a craving....
    LBGE
    AL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I usually avoid references to Stromboli, too many scary memories from Pinocchio, he was a bad man.

I think this post may have cured me - beautiful looking stromboli there.  I would gladly eat a few of those.
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    @SGH - Looks great! I don't recall recommending that setup to you, but glad to hear it worked out.
    Thanks D. On my original Stromboli thread (around 2 years ago) I was complaining about the bottom getting a little crispier than the top. You suggested using a stone in conjunction with the plate setter instead of using the plate setter by its self. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    blasting said:

@SGH   You've always said that you don't claim to be a pizza guy - or something along those lines.  Looks like strong work to me, very restauranty in appearance.

This is true. Pizza has always been my Achilles heel. I can make a decent one, but I do not excel at it. I certainly can not replicate the pizzas that I see posted on the forum. And for that reason you never see me post pizza. The biggest reason being that I grew up cooking Q and basic southern style dishes. Never made a pizza or done any type of baking until just a couple of years ago. 
    On that note, my wife has always made a pretty mean Stromboli. As such I have been able to pick that up pretty easy. With that said, one error that we were making on Stromboli was we were making them to small (narrow) and the dough to thick. Now that I have learned to make them wider and the dough a little thinner, they are turning out excellent. Not blowing my own horn here, but this was honestly one of the best Strombolis that I have ever tasted. I'm going to make another this weekend. If it turns out like this one I will post step by step details of how I did it. Including the meatball recipe. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    looks great to me, what kind of cheese were you using and what did you change it too. 
     Brother less, mozzarella of any brand seems to be fine. But I had an idea to start experimenting with adding other cheeses to the mix. Some worked ok and some were not worth a flip. Then I had the idea to try this:

This should have been a no brainer for me. This is the same cheese that I use on chargrilled oysters. 
    With that said, I use 3 parts mozzarella to 1 part of the above. It really made all the difference in the world. The addition of homemade meatballs didn't hurt either :D

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Dredger said:
    That, sir, is a work of art! I know it tasted as good as it looks. Something magical about a stuffed pastry.
    Thanks sister. This one was far and away my best one ever. I'm doing another one this weekend and I will post step by step how I did it. I really want folks to try this for themselves. It is simply outstanding. 
    Note: This was one was done in the vertical of unit #5 over pecan wood. I'm doing the next one on the BGE to have a honest comparison.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Here is a couple of sliced shots. 

Status- Standing by.

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I can almost smell that in S.C. Man, that crust and cheese looks killer.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    Dredger said:
    I can almost smell that in S.C. Man, that crust and cheese looks killer.
    Sister this turned out so good that I would really like to share the entire process. I'm considering videoing the next one and sending the video to someone who knows how to put it on YouTube. It's honestly that good. 
    And thank you for the kind words. 

Status- Standing by.

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Can't wait to see the video. I'd volunteer to upload to YouTube, but I don't know how to either. Heck, I can't even upload one here. I may be saving the file under the wrong file extension for Vanilla. Don't know.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Can't wait to see the video. I'd volunteer to upload to YouTube, but I don't know how to either. Heck, I can't even upload one here. I may be saving the file under the wrong file extension for Vanilla. Don't know.
    @Dredger Hope you have the Butt Blast on your cal this year....you to @SGH

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    SGH said:
    blasting said:

This is true. Pizza has always been my Achilles heel. I can make a decent one, but I do not excel at it. I certainly can not replicate the pizzas that I see posted on the forum. And for that reason you never see me post pizza. The biggest reason being that I grew up cooking Q and basic southern style dishes. Never made a pizza or done any type of baking until just a couple of years ago. 
    On that note, my wife has always made a pretty mean Stromboli. As such I have been able to pick that up pretty easy. With that said, one error that we were making on Stromboli was we were making them to small (narrow) and the dough to thick. Now that I have learned to make them wider and the dough a little thinner, they are turning out excellent. Not blowing my own horn here, but this was honestly one of the best Strombolis that I have ever tasted. I'm going to make another this weekend. If it turns out like this one I will post step by step details of how I did it. Including the meatball recipe. 

SGH said:
    blasting said:

Would love to see the play-by-play if you've got the time and energy. 

Great cook.