Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you Griddle Gods think?

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
I stumbled up on what I think is a real good deal. I found a Star Max 48" Griddle for sale that is 7 months old. The price on these things new is $2,500.00 and up depending on options and features. I can get it for $1000.00 cash. The only thing is it's set up for natural gas but I can rejet it for propane in about 5 minutes. Has anyone out there owned or used this particular Griddle? Your thoughts and input is wanted and much appreciated. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SGH
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WWRRPD?  ;)
    If I had his money, I would buy everyone on the forum a Griddle.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That a 1" griddle?  Basically the good commercial griddles are thick plates with plenty of BTU.  I think that has both. 
    Options

I know nothing of that griddle, but I would be disappointed if you bought the same griddle as the rest of us.  

A 48" commercial unit is more in line with true SGH style.

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WWRRPD?  ;)
    To answer this directly, he would whip out his big fat wallet and pay cash on the spot =)

Status- Standing by.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    You'll have all of the local round heeled women swooning with that purchase Scottie  ;)
  • SGH
    Options
    You'll have all of the local round heeled women swooning with that purchase Scottie  ;)
    I'm really wanting it. Just afraid that the wife will act a fool. She is getting kind of bitchy in her latter years. 

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    1K for a 48" 4 burner chrome series is fair. You'll only need to convert the orfice or orfices to LP & possibly (likely) need to adjust or replace to gas regulator.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @SGH   Weren't you getting a big commercial grill a while back?  Seems to me it was a prototype or something along those lines, that you were going to get when they were done with it.

Phoenix 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Do you know how many gas valves it has? I've seen 48"-60" units with as many as 5. Remember each valve has to be converted along with the regular. You'll likely need to bump it to 11" wc - 14" wc (based off of specs which you should be able to access and download the PDF). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    All I can say is sweet!
    South Buffalo, New York
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Get it and post picts of burgers, fajitas and stir fry goodness youll be making....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Only if it comes with the sweet metal frame its sitting on.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Only if it comes with the sweet metal frame its sitting on.
    Agreed. That looks like something out of high school metal shop.  :o
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    If you pay that for used restaurant equipment they should convert it for you. Nice find!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
     Just a thought- could you run a natural gas line to your cooking area instead? This of course assumes you already have natural gas in your house.   It would be nice not to have to worry about replacing propane tanks.  If it is anything like the blackstone you can burn through a tank quickly.  I did a quick search and it looks like this model has a 1 inch thick stainless surface. You could burn through 1/2 a 20 lb tank just getting it heated up.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Standing by for @SGH smashburgers...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    looks like you would need the regulator and nozzles, about 60 bucks depending on model
    http://www.tmeinc.biz/Star.htm

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @SGH If that one is a 648TF it should have thermostats for each burner. The 648TSPF will have a safety pilot. If true, that is a good one as you want have to keep adjusting each burner as I do on my BS. More like a set it and forget it.
    From Star:
    • Throttling thermostatic control from 150 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
    • 1" thick steel griddle plate
    • Natural gas or LP gas operation

You may also want to verify if it is a "Chrome surface" or not. They are a bit more maintenance on cleaning.
    If the top is a true polished steel top, you just might have a keeper!!.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    A two egg breakfast, please. Bacon, Hash Browns, Smothered and Covered, Whole Wheat toast, light on the butter. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
     Just a thought- could you run a natural gas line to your cooking area instead? This of course assumes you already have natural gas in your house.   It would be nice not to have to worry about replacing propane tanks.  If it is anything like the blackstone you can burn through a tank quickly.  I did a quick search and it looks like this model has a 1 inch thick stainless surface. You could burn through 1/2 a 20 lb tank just getting it heated up.  
    Those kind of griddles are great in an operation where they are likely running all day long.

But for typical home use I'd agree that getting that puppy up to temp is going to likely take longer than the actual time to cook your grub.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Standing by sir.... Standing by
    Seattle, WA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Those kind of griddles are great in an operation where they are likely running all day long.

But for typical home use I'd agree that getting that puppy up to temp is going to likely take longer than the actual time to cook your grub.
    thats one thing about the blackstone, your cooking in less than a minute. turn it on, get burger, smash it, get bread and plate, flip burger, done. instant gratification =)
    @sgh, you going to need to get both
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Gotta second or third that. Once your up to temp you can load it up, feed hundreds, never lose temp, etc..., but fuel consumption getting it there and the time from cold to temp are slight drawbacks for a regular family night cook. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    HeavyG said:

thats one thing about the blackstone, your cooking in less than a minute. turn it on, get burger, smash it, get bread and plate, flip burger, done. instant gratification =)
    @sgh, you going to need to get both
    Good point fish.  Guys on the pizzamakingforum like pairing a WFO with a Blackstone oven.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    SGH said:
    I certainly appreciate everyone's thoughts and input on the Griddle. With that said, I have weighed the pros and cons and think that I'm going to bring it home. The Griddle is only 7 months old and I'm saving $1,700.00 bucks. Kind of hard to pass up. 
    The business that owns it says it will hit 500 degrees in 5 minutes flat if turned up on high. They also advised that gas usage is significant. Oh well, that's just the nature of the beast though. I'm bringing it home, converting it to propane and mounting it on one of the big units. It should be a welcome addition to the arsenal. 
    I'd have done the same thing. Hell, I drive a SuperDuty as a commuter. Overkill rules. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Congrats @SGH.  Have fun.  Not sure I buy that 500 degrees in 5 minutes though.
    Phoenix 
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    SGH said:
    I certainly appreciate everyone's thoughts and input on the Griddle. With that said, I have weighed the pros and cons and think that I'm going to bring it home. The Griddle is only 7 months old and I'm saving $1,700.00 bucks. Kind of hard to pass up. 
    The business that owns it says it will hit 500 degrees in 5 minutes flat if turned up on high. They also advised that gas usage is significant. Oh well, that's just the nature of the beast though. I'm bringing it home, converting it to propane and mounting it on one of the big units. It should be a welcome addition to the arsenal. 
    Good luck and best wishes! I have cooked on professional griddles in several different kitchens through the years - they are definitely better that the Blackstone (which I own and love). I would be concerned about the statement that it takes a lot of gas and you are going to convert it to propane. Invest in a propane company!
    South SLO County
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    A two egg breakfast, please. Bacon, Hash Browns, Smothered and Covered, Whole Wheat toast, light on the butter. 
    IN THE STYLE OF DIXIE!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95