Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slighty OT...The Egg Has a New Companion

Options
Added a gravity feed smoker to the family - Assassin 24.  =)
South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Big dogs play in the sun. You are in the sun Big Dog! Nice addition.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @SmokingPiney   Congrats on the new toy - very exciting.   Please let us know your impressions. I for one am very interested in those GF.
    Phoenix 
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    @blasting, I'm only 2 cooks into learning this pit. My last cook was STL ribs and they came out great. 

It's a whole different beast from cooking on the Egg. I'm using KBB in the Assassin, so I have to add wood chunks on a regular basis to the fire box to get the smoke going. It comes with a Pitmaster IQ120 controller, and it holds spot on temps for hours. 

I think between the Assassin and the Egg I have most bases covered.  =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Who makes the Assassin?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    C&C Manufacturing out of Macon, GA.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Thanks!  Btw looks like a fantastic cooker, congratulations on the purchase.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    This weekend's cook will be a smoked turkey with a big pan of macaroni and cheese.............no way that would fit for a single cook on an XL.  :)
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Nice , I have a Backwoods Fatboy G2... Did you notice off the bat a difference in smoke profile versus the egg. I did.
    Seattle, WA
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Nice , I have a Backwoods Fatboy G2... Did you notice off the bat a difference in smoke profile versus the egg. I did.
    I did, also. My first cook was turkey legs and I went light on the smoke. It was there, but subtle. My second cook was ribs, and I laid the smoke on hard for the first hour and they were great. 

It takes more wood chunks to get the smoke profile, but I like the way the Assassin does low and slow better than the Egg. I don't have to worry about temp creep with an open lid / door - it drops on the Assassin but recovers quickly.

Bottom line: The Egg is a great cooker, but short on real low and slow smoking. I can add wood to the Assassin's fire box any time I want more smoke, where I can't do that with the Egg. I bought the Assassin to take care of the smoking part of my cooking. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Same boat, my eggs will stay as grills and maybe if in in a hurry smoke. It the vault will be for low and slow true BBQ. Prime brisket and 3 racks going on Sat.
    Seattle, WA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Beautiful pit.  I wouldn't hesitate to low and slow with my eggs in Winter if necessary.  I try to work around that, but if something comes up, stability in adverse conditions is nice in a pinch.  Going in and out every 30 min to stoke and feed a fire would get old real quick at sub freezing temps.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very nice addition!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks nice- congrats! Can you add small chunks/chips in with the charcoal in the chute so you don't have to keep feeding it wood?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    If it even close to food related it's not OT....nice addition.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Nice!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I really like the look of that smoker.  At first glance I thought it was a gun safe with that nice looking paint job.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    So, is that like a Karubecue?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Nice! Wouldn't mine one of those on a trailer. Or figure out a way to safely transport it on a trailer.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I think that I have seen that unit elsewhere ;)  But nonetheless, congrats my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Nice! Congratz.  Will be fun.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    A whole turkey and 2 big pans of mac and cheese going on this bad boy in the morning with peach wood smoke.  =)

I have a prime rib cook planned for later this fall for company - smoked to 110 IT on the Assassin and seared to perfection on the Egg.  =)
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Can you add small chunks/chips in with the charcoal in the chute so you don't have to keep feeding it wood?
    You can, but I'm new to this pit and afraid of bridging. For the first few cooks, I'm going to add wood to the fire box. 
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    No idea.......I've never heard of a Karubecue. 

The kissing cousin would be a Stumps gravity feed.
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Not a Karubeque, they are stainless steel. There is one in my future, I just need to fall off the fence!!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Would love to see some additional pictures (tour if you will) of the new toy. Looks fantastic. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I ran into a friend who has an one of these. He has an egg as well. He has had the gravity fed unit for about 10 months. He is using lump charcoal with wood chips/chunks mixed in the chute, and more chunks in the ash pan at the bottom. He said the smoke profile is similar to an egg with chunks/chips mixed in the lump. I just thought I would pass that along. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    No idea.......I've never heard of a Karubecue. 

The kissing cousin would be a Stumps gravity feed.
    A Karubecue is a type of stick burner.

Insulated cabinet smokers have more in common with a kamado.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk