Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Chicken Direct?

Options
I'm still a newbie with my BGE. 

I'm looking to cook a whole chicken for my third BGE dinner, but all the recipes I find are for indirect cooking. I don't have the ConvEGGtor/plate setter yet (on a budget) so I'm not sure how to cook indirect. 

If I have the chicken in a pan on the grill, would it turn out ok? Would the temperature and time have to be different? 

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I think if I was in your shoes I would fill about half the firebox up with lump, get a 350ish fire going and cook the bird spatched at OEM level.   By loading a small amount of lump you are increasing the distance between the fire and protein. Basically doin what a lot of people do by raising the grid with bricks, beer cans or Woo type products.  You will be fine.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • rvita
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try that!
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    @Mattman3969 is exactly right. If you don't have a plate setter that is your best bet! Good luck....,
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Agree. Also, spatchcock the bird. Cut out the backbone and open it up like a book. Place it on the grid with the legs toward the hinges. They can take the higher heat that's typically back there. A spatch'd chicken cooks more quickly and evenly. I generally flip mine over part way through the cook. Many do not. Enjoy! And Welcome!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    May be too late to this party but here's a link regarding the spatch chix process and recipe:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#chicken  
    And @Mattman3969 gave you a great way to setup and run the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    You may want to make one of these. Two pieces of flat bar from Lowe's or Home Depot and a few bolts and nuts. Just make sure to make it where you have a little space between it and the inside wall of your egg. When heated there may be some expansion. If so, that could crack the egg.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
      Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
    Options
     Plate setter is great and worth the money. I should know because my wife broke mine today and I went out to replace it and it was $103 plus taxes and I payed that.
      It was in Canadian currency.

I'm still not sure if I did the right thing. Maybe in the long run I should have replaced the wife.

Time will tell.
  • rvita
    Options
    Mickey said:

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..

I've never tried a coffee run anything. Next time, I'm going to make this!
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @rvita - how'd your chicken turn out?  

analyze adapt overcome

• rvita
    Options
    It's in the egg right now! I'll let you know how it turns out. All the post definitely made the prep easier. I was a little nervous about this bird.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    rvita said:
    I'm still a newbie with my BGE. 

I'm looking to cook a whole chicken for my third BGE dinner, but all the recipes I find are for indirect cooking. I don't have the ConvEGGtor/plate setter yet (on a budget) so I'm not sure how to cook indirect. 

If I have the chicken in a pan on the grill, would it turn out ok? Would the temperature and time have to be different? 

Thanks in advance

It will be indirect but there needs to be some space between the chicken and the pan to prevent the bottom burning.. Like a rack or a trivet

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Can't wait to see it!!  Wishin the best for you.  

analyze adapt overcome

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    I have done many a spatch but also have done whole birds raised direct with very good results.  The way I look at it, the retained back sort of acts like a platesetter in a sense.  Good results either way.  I would say try different ways and see which you like the best.  Hard to mess up chicken
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • rvita
    Options
    Can't wait to see it!!  Wishin the best for you.  

So stoked on how this came out!

When everyone around the table took a bite, they all smiled and said "wow"! It was great! Nothing was left. 

Next time, I'm using a pair of kitchen shears! To cut out the spine, all I had to use was a pair of office scissors with a broken handle. It worked but took some muscle! Saving myself the hassle for next time. Already ordered a beefy pair of kitchen shears. 

I put half as much lump in the firebox and cooked it at 375ish. Maybe I didn't put enough lump though? At about 20 minutes left in cook time, the temperature suddenly dropped to 300 and I couldn't get it to rise again. It was steady temp throughout but then abruptly went down. Slightly more lump next time? 

I stuck to the cooking time, checked temp with and it was ready. Thankfully, I read something last night about leaving the chicken in the fridge for crispy skin. It was really great. 

Thanks for everyone's help!

• lousubcap
    Options
    Congrats on a great result.  Nailed it.  Probably too late, but no need for buying shears as long as you have a rugged knife or hatchet (my go-to for spatch turkey).  Regarding the lump concern-take a look and then go from there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The color on that bird is excellent.  Congrats on the good bird. 

As for your next cook, I'm really not trying to get in your wallet but I would seriously look at the woo2 from CGS.  It elevates your protein to gasket level meaning you can load more lump.  If you get real ambitious you could get the extender for the woo.   That's about another 4" up in the dome and 1 more level of cooking if you need it.  I never cook a chicken without the extender since I bout it.   Higher in done, more radiant heat = more crispy skin. 

analyze adapt overcome

• rvita
    Options
    @louscubcap I think the shears will be good. The knives I have are sharp, but I wouldn't consider them rugged. The cutting motion of the scissors was easy and I look forward to using kitchen sears for other recipes.
  • rvita
    Options
    @Mattman3969

Thanks for all your help. 

The woo looks good. Looking at the website, it says that you can get an indirect setup going if you get their ceramic stone to go along with it.

Is there any pro or con to getting that set up versus the BGE Platesetter for indirect? 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I use the PS with my Woo because I had the PS long before I knew about Tom and CGS.  If my PS broke tomorrow I'd order a stone and move forward.  As far as a difference I believe it would just be cost difference between the PS and stone. No performance difference that I could imagine.  

analyze adapt overcome

• lousubcap
    Options
    I will jump in while @Mattman3969 gears up for a response.  But given you don't have a platesetter then I would give strong consideration to the woo/stone set-up. FWIW-
  • rvita
    Options
    @lousubcap
    @Mattman3969

Awesome, I'll compare the two! Thanks!