Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Sam's Club or Costco

Options
124»

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have the choice. My state only allows liquor sales at state liquor stores so Costco won't locate here. They are a 45 mile drive across the state line in Alabama. I can't make the cost savings justify the drive.
    @gulfcoastguy, I don't think that was the reason that Costco won't open a store in your state. Here in Pennsylvania, Costco can't see wine or liquor since the state has a monopoly on that. Costco has several stores in Pennsylvania and seems to be doing fine.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Unfortunately I don't have the choice. My state only allows liquor sales at state liquor stores so Costco won't locate here. They are a 45 mile drive across the state line in Alabama. I can't make the cost savings justify the drive.
    @gulfcoastguy, I don't think that was the reason that Costco won't open a store in your state. Here in Pennsylvania, Costco can't see wine or liquor since the state has a monopoly on that. Costco has several stores in Pennsylvania and seems to be doing fine.
    I thought Alabama was the only state with such backwards liquor laws.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    GregW said:
    Shiff said:
    I thought Alabama was the only state with such backwards liquor laws.
    Here in PA you can only buy beer at distributors or restaurants/bars. Until recently, you could only buy a full case at a distributor, now they can sell 12 packs as well. At a restaurant/bar you can buy by the 6 pack. Also until recently, distributors and state wine/liquor stores could not be open on Sundays. Now distributors can open on Sundays, and a few wine/liquor stores have been allowed to have open hours on Sundays. Wine is now slowly being allowed in some grocery stores, but in dedicated sections with it's own checkout.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Options
    There are Costco's in states that only allow liquor sales in state ABC stores. Must be some other reason Costco doesn't like your state.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    There are Costco's in states that only allow liquor sales in state ABC stores. Must be some other reason Costco doesn't like your state.
    It could be like in Alabama, all alcohol has to be purchased through the state ABC board. Costco in Hoover AL only recently was allowed to sell liquor. As I understand it, Costco sells the liquor to the Alabama ABC and then turns around and buys it back to resell in the Hoover store.

This convoluted arrangement makes it difficult to compete with the state owned ABC stores on price. Costco does have the option of selling to the state at a lower cost than the other suppliers do. This allows the state to put their markup on the liquor and sell it back to Costco at a slightly lower price than the ABC stores sell the liquor for.

In practice, I don't see a lot of price reduction at Costco on liquor.  
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Well it could be a certain OT political thing enacted in our state. I don't think that the buffalo would like me exploring that though.
  • BrookieP
    Options
    I have memberships to both, and today I shopped at both. I would see if you can walk through them and check out their meat counter. My Costco doesn't have whole briskets or bone-in pork butts. Costco does have everything else I need/love for Egging though. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,806
    Options
    BrookieP said:
    My Costco doesn't have whole briskets 
    This is true of the one in Mobile, AL. as well. No brisket. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    Options
    For those who are Sam's members does Sam's have 50 check-out lanes with only 2 cashiers like most Wal-Marts?  
    They have more than two cashiers.....but they ain't as smart as the ones at Wall-marts. :o
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    For those who are Sam's members does Sam's have 50 check-out lanes with only 2 cashiers like most Wal-Marts?  
    Sam's has scan and go. I scan what I put in my basket with my phone, hit pay when I'm done and walk out after showing my receipt to door greeter. Only earthlings go through checkout anymore. Big orders I just do online and pick up my float and go. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    @clemsontyger97
    You can scan each purchase with your app and place in your cart as you go. Skip all lines. ;)

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/html/mobile/help/scan-and-go.html?mobiledetect=false

Whoops, didn't see you beat me to it. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM