Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Sam's Club or Costco

Options

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,421
    Options
    Alright, it's done. I took one look at their meat section and was sold. On top of that, I walked by the toilet paper (I live in a household with three girls, we go through a metric sh!t ton, pun intended) and was even more sold. 
    Appreciate all the input. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,458
    Options
    Pic of Prime packer?  3 pack of ribs?  2 pack of butt?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Costco
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Battleborn
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Pic of Prime packer?  3 pack of ribs?  2 pack of butt?
    I will be going back tomorrow morning to get some, had to go and sign for our new place. Pretty excited at their selection. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Should have went Executive with the new VIsa card for mucho cashback.  You'll pay for your membership and then some.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Should have went Executive with the new VIsa card for mucho cashback.  You'll pay for your membership and then some.  
    This. After a couple of months, amortize out your spending out over 12 months and get the Executive if you are going to spend $5200 in a year. Or just go for it with the Visa. The cash back is amazing and they tell you in real time what your balance is. 4% on gas is sweet!
  • mikeinccfl
    Options
    Had Sam's membership in KY. Didn't use it much; didn't like the store, etc. Have Costco now (in FL). Great store and their Kirkland brand has been great so far.
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    You can upgrade to Executive at any time and they charge you a prorated fee.  You can also go back to regular membership and they'll do a prorated refund.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Battleborn
    Options
    This. After a couple of months, amortize out your spending out over 12 months and get the Executive if you are going to spend $5200 in a year. Or just go for it with the Visa. The cash back is amazing and they tell you in real time what your balance is. 4% on gas is sweet!
    That is my plan. I went through the options and decided to see how much we actually use it. If we use it a lot after a few months, I will upgrade. Until then, it looks like I need to go buy a full packer tomorrow and throw it on the Egg!
    Las Vegas, NV

• OhioEgger
    Options

Costco for sure.

The Kirkland brand is really, really good.  I haven't been disappointed with any of their branded products.  The meat quality and prices are great.  Not mentioned above is their return policy.

Another vote for Costco. I tried Sam's Club a few years ago and hated it. Limited selection, unfriendly staff, and a hassle to check out. Costco is the opposite of all that, and I have never been even slightly disappointed with anything under the Kirkland brand. We don't spend enough there to justify the executive membership, but I save more than enough just on the prices to pay for the membership each year.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Have been in the DSM Costco a few times, really nice store.  The Minion birthday cake for my boy was great, reasonably priced.

Got a recent Sam's Club 1 min away if I don't get caught at the light.  Save on gas there.  Usually get a beef hot dog and pop for 2 bucks when I'm in.  It is worth it for the Meat, Cheese, Dave's Bread, and Luigi's Italian Ice alone.  Still have a few Yeti knockoff tumbler sets to give away.  I'm on my third Block Rocker.  First one died, second lost blue tooth.  Manager took care of me.

I hope we do get a Costco, but I don't see myself switching soon if that's the case, due to location, convenience.  Prime, or prime briskets are not even a low priority here.  I do a lot of meat cooler diving for choice prime, which is good enough for me.  Nothing against it, I'm just too cheap.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I joined Costco on a Saturday and bought A whole  Prime ribeye. I went back on the following tuesday looking for a Prime packer , and whole chicken wings , which they do not carry. I asked the meat guy if he could cut me some Bone in pork chops to order and he said that they do not custom cut meat there. ( Jax FL. ) I returned on wednesday and got a refund on my membership.  I go to BJs regularly and although they don't carry Prime meat , they will custom cut any meat that I buy. For being thirty miles away , Costco is not worth it. IMHO 
    More meat please !! :-)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sam's Club
    Options
    Who am I kidding?  Costco for, like, everything.  (except their flowers - according to SWMBO - Sam's are always better).
    Options
    Just got a Sam's card because it is close by and It was essentially free during a promotion.
    It's a really sad situation in the meat department. I can't believe how unskilled the meat cutters are. For example, in a package of 3 ribeyes, each steak was a different thickness. Side to side the steaks varied by 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.
    I've reached the point that I would rather pay a slight premium to buy steaks from a place that actually has skilled butchers.
    I do prefer Costco, but even their meat cutters leave a lot to be desired.
  • schafe98
    Options
    I have both but Costco gets the vote every time.  I only have Sam's because it's the only place around me I can get a whole brisket.  Costco's meat is definitely better.  All the employee stuff mentioned above, it's cleaner, much better wine selection, etc.  Here in CA, they get poke brought in almost everyday of the week from Hawaii which I absolutely love.  If you dig into it, some of the Kirkland brand spirits are distilled at name brand places (Kirkland vodka distilled in France is Grey Goose at half the cost).
    Vacaville, CA

LBGE, Weber Summit, UDS, Weber Classic, Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China
  • Texag06ish
    Options
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    GregW said:
    Just got a Sam's card because it is close by and It was essentially free during a promotion.
    It's a really sad situation in the meat department. I can't believe how unskilled the meat cutters are. For example, in a package of 3 ribeyes, each steak was a different thickness. Side to side the steaks varied by 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.
    I've reached the point that I would rather pay a slight premium to buy steaks from a place that actually has skilled butchers.
    I do prefer Costco, but even their meat cutters leave a lot to be desired.
    Just buy the whole ribeye and cut it yourself. I have one in the fridge I picked up from Costco last weekend. I'm planning to cut off a few steaks to freeze and then dry age the rest before steaking it out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Costco, love their Kirkland TP  =)
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• bhedges1987
    Options
    This should answer your question pretty easily.  Looks like about 95% people say costco.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Had Sams card for many many years. Finally Costco built a store and we switched within a year. Zero regrets. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2016
    Options
    We have been members at Sam's over a decade and got a 1 yr comp membership to Costco via my wife's company showshe works for. Each has perks and quirks. We also belong to BJ's Wholesale Club. Probably won't renew Costco because it's too far from our home....around 40 miles or roughly 1 hr one-way. As it sits I'll go to Costco only if I'm already at my office which is about 5 minutes away or if I'm in close proximity. Too far to make a dedicated trip.  Doubt we'll pay to renew our comp membership when it comes due.  I like BJ's because they usually have good selection, warehouse pricing and also allow use of coupons. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    We let our Sam's Club membership expire, local costco is $5 less to go to, no bridge toll, and has a better beer selection. 
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    For those who are Sam's members does Sam's have 50 check-out lanes with only 2 cashiers like most Wal-Marts?  
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • OneNole03
    Options
    I have both and I like Sams but Costco is certainly better. My costco also does not carry whole packers like Sams does and Sams is also a bit closer. 

I usually purchase 10 items or fewer each time I go so I just use the self checkout. Much quicker than waiting in those lines with people that have two shopping carts full.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    For those who are Sam's members does Sam's have 50 check-out lanes with only 2 cashiers like most Wal-Marts?  

Yup.  Our Sam's at least have the self checkouts where you can grab the price gun and do it yourself.  Most of the folks will full carts don't mess with that, and it works for me b/c I'm only grabbing a dozen items at most.

Our Costco used to have the four self-checkout lanes, but they were very touchy and you had to know how to use them.  The one attendant would always end up scanning the entire cart for someone while the 2-3 lanes waiting for him to clear their error code, ID check, etc......then of course the person would want to pay via check or cash and the whole thing would get voided.  So they yanked these 4 lanes, and replaced with 2 full serve lane (which are NEVER open).

With either place, I try to go first thing Monday morning after I drop the kids off at school.  It's empty, I'm outta there in twenty minutes tops.  Saturday at either place......don't bother!!!!  I rarely go to Wal-Mart or Target.  WalMart just started that online order deal here in STL though--order your groceries or stuff on the website, wait for the email confirmation, then they'll meet you in the parking lot and put it in your car.  They don't have it at the local store, but maybe it's coming.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,108
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @clemsontyger97
    You can scan each purchase with your app and place in your cart as you go. Skip all lines. ;)

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/html/mobile/help/scan-and-go.html?mobiledetect=false
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Costco but I can  never get out of there for less than $300!!!  Too many toys and too much great meat!!!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I had both memberships simultaneously.  Sams does nothing better than Costco.  Costco does a lot of things better than Sams.  So I dropped Sams.

It's interesting that Sams is still in business, given the overwhelming nod to Costco.
    Phoenix 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Shiff said:
    You can upgrade to Executive at any time and they charge you a prorated fee.  You can also go back to regular membership and they'll do a prorated refund.
    Yep, but why not get that first purchase on your balance so you get the cash back?  

That's essentially when I upgraded too.  They stopped me in the checkout line and I bit.  Glad I have though.  The new Visa though is nice.  Like Egg said, the 4% gas and essentially 4% on Costco purchases too (2% with Exec. and 2% on the card).  It's a no brainier if they going to give you money to use it!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site