Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Bug A Salt

Options
Anyone own one? Fall and BBQ equals flys, seems like an entertaining way to take care of them. Just curious how they hold up, sounds like 2.0 has improved problems based on reviews.

http://bugasalt.com

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Yup. Fun times. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I dont know how it is on bugs, but my (grown) kids really like to shoot each other with 'em
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    how far will they shoot. need to shoot my 16 to 20 deer that eat everything planted. neighbor uses paintballs
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    @Mickey guaranteed to drop 'em. Venison for everyone :blush:
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    @Mickey guaranteed to drop 'em. Venison for everyone :blush:
    Only 4 feet away and don't want to kill them. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    holy crap mickey!  I'd have my bow out there with me while Egging and fill up the freezer with one of those
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I've had one for several months now and yet to make a single kill! No, I'm not a pacifist, but today was only the second time since receiving my weapon that I saw a fly outside and of course my weapon is in storage! As for distance I have practiced shooting at a large tray of water to get an idea for the spread pattern. 2' seems like a good distance and pattern.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Got one recently.  The boys, and I, love it.  I let them point shoot the bugs.  It's fun.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• schafe98
    schafe98 Posts: 46
    Options
    One of man's coolest inventions if you ask me.  Love it.  2-3 feet away from the victim to be effective.
    Vacaville, CA

LBGE, Weber Summit, UDS, Weber Classic, Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    schafe98 said:
    One of man's coolest inventions if you ask me.  Love it.  2-3 feet away from the victim to be effective.
    It's fun when the victim is the wifey  =)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited August 2016
    Options
    schafe98 said:
    It's fun when the victim is the wifey  =)
    And your divorce hearing is when?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I have one and it's awesome, fun and functional.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have the old one and it works good but I want the 2.0 in camo.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have one and it does what it claims.  I love it!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Love mine too.  It may not always instantly kill the fly, but some of the most gratifying things is dropping it from the sky and moving in for the kill shot
  • bg_easy
    bg_easy Posts: 41
    Options
    Flies have been horrible, especially with hickory. I was going to ask this forum if I was alone in my misery.  This looks like a fun way to take back the patio, but I'd need to stock pile for a neighborhood gathering. it would be a lot more fun than cornhole :)

Large BGE, Bull Lonestar and Bull Burner, growing fleet of accessories

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    It doesn't always kill the little buggers.  I want one that's about ten times more powerful, so that the flies are just blown to smithereens.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Once again this site has cost me money, but then again after a few bourbons the buy with me click is so easy. Fun begins on Monday
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Bshults1
    Options
    Once again this site has cost me money, but then again after a few bourbons the buy with me click is so easy. Fun begins on Monday
    You have two hands so you should probably get two guns
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Bshults1 said:
    You have two hands so you should probably get two guns
    What do I do with the bourbon?
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    It's not a life altering product, but it does make killing flies fun instead of a chore.  The kid and the dog both mind their manors when I'm sitting with it in my lap - so that's a plus.
    Phoenix 
  • Bshults1
    Options
    Hmmm, good point.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Does it come with a supply of bugs? I've seen two flies all summer. And no mosquitoes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    If you buy one go ahead and buy the two pack. I guarantee you can sell the second one. I've purchased four so far :)
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have the 1.0 version.   We get a bunch of box elder bugs from the neighbor's tree.  The salt bounced off the buggers with point blank shots.  Been reluctant to get the 2.0 based on the failure of 1.0, but...
    Flint, Michigan
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, I went ahead and ordered the 2 pack, my coworker jumped right on board after seeing the video. Backyard BBQ is about to get a little more interesting.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Bug asalt 2.0 the yellow one is awesome.  Kids love to hunt flies when we are at the campground and it is fun to sit out by the egg, cold cerveza in hand and take out pesky flies.  
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I have had one for about 2 years.  If you aim correctly, it is pretty effective. They may fly away at first but they normally get a grain or two of salt in them and die.  Didn't know there was a 2.0 version.
    Milton, GA.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have the 1.0 version.   We get a bunch of box elder bugs from the neighbor's tree.  The salt bounced off the buggers with point blank shots.  Been reluctant to get the 2.0 based on the failure of 1.0, but...
    Aw sh!t.  I just ordered 2.0.
    Flint, Michigan
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Aw sh!t.  I just ordered 2.0.
    The 2.0 will serve you well