Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a butt-woke up to a problem

hey all,
I put an 11 lb pork butt on to smoke last night around 9:45. I had the temp stabilized at 235. I woke up this morning and the temp is 150. 

Im using an iGrill temperature probe on the grate and can see the temp dropped below 200 around 2AM. 

Im bumping the temp back up. What else can I do? Anyone else had this problem? 

Will the butt still turn out okay? 

Comments

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Butt will be fine. They are very forgiving. Open the egg up and let it ride about 250-275. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    As above, the butt is fine.  If you have a target finish time you can take the butt into the low 300's to punch it home and/or foil for a while to achieve the same (with a loss of bark).  If your rub contains a good amount of sugar I would not go too far into the 300's as the sugar can burn.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    This happens pretty regularly on the forum, no problem and great advice advice above.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I would suggest using your iGrill with the pit probe set for a range so that it would alert you if the temp falls like it did.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jll0004
    Jll0004 Posts: 32
    So I ended up bumping The temp up to around 275-300 let it go for about 3 1/2 hrs. I then foiled with a little apple juice for 4 hrs. I took the foil off and did the rest (from 175 up to 200) without the foil. I got a great bark and the meat was great! The drop in temp added a lot of extra time, but everyone loved the meal, so I didn't tell anyone about this little 'mistake'  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Thanks for the feedback and congrats on the cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • It will taste better tommarow ----  always better reheated the next day
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    I'm a fan of the turbo method which is discussed in detail on the forum. I just don't see a difference in the outcome and it cuts the cooking time down substantially 
    Carrollton, Va
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    Nice save. Glad it turned out so well.
    Stillwater, MN