Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shattered stone

cfuller3
cfuller3 Posts: 33
Still trying to master pizza.  Should be simple.  Delicious each time, looks like a glob.  I started the Egg, put the stone in at about 250 degrees and left everything in place, plate setter, feet up, grill, two fire bricks, stone.  Prepared the pizza inside, dough at room temperature, added the sauce, all the parts and pieces, cheese etc and when I opened the dome to put the pizza on the stone, it shattered at the edge. Of course it then required some manual placement using spatula's, gloved hands and canoe paddles to put it all back together on what was left of the stone.   Had that stone for about 20 years.... Is there a secret?
Portsmouth, VA.  LBGE.  Missed all this fun till now.   Update: Minimax added to arsenal. Hint, don't take off camping for a month after getting a LBGE, and leave it home, it'll cost you plenty.

Comments

• cfuller3
    Seriously, not canoe paddles, but it just wouldn't have made much difference if I did use them.

Portsmouth, VA.  LBGE.  Missed all this fun till now.   Update: Minimax added to arsenal. Hint, don't take off camping for a month after getting a LBGE, and leave it home, it'll cost you plenty.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Not sure what caused your stone to shatter.  I always put my stone in right after I light ithe lump so it can come to temp along with the egg. Perhaps putting it in once the egg was already at 250 caused some stress and the resulting break.  I wouldn't think so though.
    XL BGE
  • Amlucy2
    Amlucy2 Posts: 20
    I don't know much, but everything has a shelf life. It seems like 20 years is a pretty good run. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Was it a Pampered Chef stone? Those are notorious for doing that. The BGE stone is thick and can take high temps.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited July 2016
    cfuller3 said:
    Had that stone for about 20 years.... Is there a secret?
    Was it a Pampered Chef brand? If so whether new or 20 years old have a reputation of cracking on the BGE.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The stones that are commonly used in the oven will eventually fail on an egg. Buy the thicker ones made for the egg etc. 
  • cfuller3
    DMW said:
    Was it a Pampered Chef stone? ................   you betcha it was.   Thanks for the replies. I was sure I didn't do anything that should have caused it.