Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

48 day dry aged rib steaks

Options
mrw123
mrw123 Posts: 202

I took the advice of Darby_crenshaw and didn't do any trimming (other than the ends). The results were fantastic! I did a reverse sear until the IT hit 120 and then rested for 30 before searing in cast iron. Dinner was one of the best steaks I've ever had. Thank you!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Right on!  The "rotten meat guy" (aka darby) is the best.
    Options
    Wow. One bone each. 

That is really showing us how to roll. 

looks fantastic.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    30 minute rest? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I gotta do it, I gotta do it, I gotta do it !!!

Thanks for posting !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Looks fantastic!

My dry aging project just started yesterday. I had planned on starting it two weeks ago but I needed some time to get the fridge clean and odor free. It's my meat fridge so it often smells strongly of smoke and rub aromas. Mine is boneless though. Already have a line-up of friends that are scheduling a visit for about Sept. 1.  =)
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    That's beautiful, good job.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Looks fantastic!

My dry aging project just started yesterday. I had planned on starting it two weeks ago but I needed some time to get the fridge clean and odor free. It's my meat fridge so it often smells strongly of smoke and rub aromas. Mine is boneless though. Already have a line-up of friends that are scheduling a visit for about Sept. 1.  =)
    If I did my math right that means you are aging for 49 days. That's cool...but have you tried dry aged beef before? While I personally love 45 days so 49 is fine with me, but what about your buddies coming on 9-1?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @RRP - they just want to make sure it's done aging and cut. I put in a piece that is about 19# so I should have a fair amount. I'm planning on 45 days so we'll see how this first run goes.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options
    30 minute rest? 
    Two reasons. First, a dry steak allows for a much better crust when you sear. Second, allowing the temp to come down helps protect against cooking the steak while searing.  The goal is to sear as hot and fast as possible so just the outside is seared. The steak has already been cooked to an exact IT.