Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Plate Ribs?

Options
Can you run these naked all the way? Do I need to spritz? I watched Aaron Franklins video and I'm using a egg not a stick burner. Was planning on 275° for my temp. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. Going to go on the BGE around 930am.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    No need to spritz, just rub and egg until toothpick tender.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    DMW said:
    No need to spritz, just rub and egg until toothpick tender.
    That's what I like to hear! I like simplicity.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    My approach (with which I've had good results)
    • 275 grid
    • Water pan
    • Butcher paper wrap when the bark is set (but you can go naked)
    • Pull when butta (like a brisket).  With the meat i get, that's usuallu 190 - 195, but it is more by frrl than temp
    For me, this is typically a 6 - 7 hour cook, and they go straith in the cooler. 

Good luck, and post some pics

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Can you run these naked all the way? 
    You absolutely can my friend. 

Do I need to spritz? 
    Thats entirely up to you. They will turn out just fine with or without a spritz. On a kamado style cooker, you won't see a dimes worth of difference either way.  

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. 
    Listen to brother D above. He has you headed down the road to victory. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• clifkincaid
    Options
    20stone said:
    • 275 grid
    • Water pan
    • Pull when butta (like a brisket).  With the meat i get, that's usuallu 190 - 195, but it is more by frrl than temp

When you say water pan, do you mean put actual water in the pan or just as a drip pan? Sorry for the ignorance! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Another vote for nekked for the duration-the toothpick test rules the rib world.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    Anyone know where to get plate ribs in the Jacksonville area, or if your name happens to be @NPHuskerFL ? Cant find them anywhere
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • 20stone
    Options
    20stone said:
    • 275 grid
    • Water pan

When you say water pan, do you mean put actual water in the pan or just as a drip pan? Sorry for the ignorance! 
    Water in the pan, positioned like a drip pan, with a good air gap between the top of the pan and the bottom of the ribs. 

Not critical, but I use it with very good results. 

The most critical thing is to buy good meay, and the second is pull them when they're done. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options

MaC122 said:
    Anyone know where to get plate ribs in the Jacksonville area, or if your name happens to be @NPHuskerFL ? Cant find them anywhere

@MaC122, isn't there a Restaurant Depot in Jacksonville?  You can get a free membership if you can show some business papers. Alternatively, you can join KCBS and show your membership card for a free day pass as often as you want.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Shiff said:

MaC122 said:

@MaC122, isn't there a Restaurant Depot in Jacksonville?  You can get a free membership if you can show some business papers. Alternatively, you can join KCBS and show your membership card for a free day pass as often as you want.
    @MaC122 I get mine at the RD in JAX at University and Powers ave. 
    More meat please !! :-)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    • 275 grid
    • Water pan

Yours are the best I've ever had off a BGE. They were naked I think (your bday party with the clandestine egg by the pool?) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @MaC122 Occasionally RD & Publix has them. Costco, Freshfields Farm, Tillman's Meat & Bakery, Weedman's Grocery. 
    @XLentEGG RD typically has nice meaty beef back ribs but, they're hit or miss on plate ribs and short ribs alike. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 20stone
    Options
    20stone said:
    • 275 grid
    • Water pan

Yours are the best I've ever had off a BGE. They were naked I think (your bday party with the clandestine egg by the pool?) 
    I think I wrapped those, but can't recall for sure
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options
    So, how did they turn out?
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    No wrap. Cook them a hotter than a brisket, maybe 275-280. Rest for at least an hour. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    @Big_Green_Craig Is there a difference between short and plate ribs other than the cut? 

Both "butchers" are Whole Foods this morning said they had never heard of beef plate ribs. Does Patton's carry them?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    @Big_Green_Craig Is there a difference between short and plate ribs other than the cut? 

Both "butchers" are Whole Foods this morning said they had never heard of beef plate ribs. Does Patton's carry them?
    Short ribs are from the plate, not the chuck. So, short ribs and plate ribs are the same. Yes, Patton's carries them. They typically come in a 3 bone section. 
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Not sure what cut I got but they don't look like the meat pics I see. The meat between 3 ribs was buttah and 90% of the big rib off to the right was buttah. 197-198 was pulled temp. Let rest in foil for 1 hr with a vented opening. The big rib was moist and good although the 3 smaller ones were way better with bite and pull. Seem like maybe the meat was on the leaner side or something. Ordering some butcher paper to try the wrap on the next ones. I maintained 275-280 grate the whole cook. I did use a water pan which might have saved the ribs in moisture content.