Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picked up 6.6LB of short rib, now what?

Options
BigBlackV
BigBlackV Posts: 59
I've been reading on here and online and it seems most like to smoke the entire rack like I got. I've read most use just salt, pepper and other light seasonings. Some say cook to 185-190 and others say until the bones are loose and or when they shrink. I plan on cooking these low and slow at about 225-250 max. 

Who here does the 3-2-1 method? This is my second smoke so I don't want too complicated however I'm open to suggestions. 

After I remove the membrane, coat with mustard, season with salt, pepper and a little rub what do you guys suggest? 

Jay 

Comments

• StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Options
    I just did some for the first time with the advice from some of the eggheads.  Went indirect with a little oak smoke at 250. About 5 hrs.  The meat will start to pull back from the bones. Hope you enjoy. 
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Beef ribs can one of the easiest things to smoke.  Just keep it simple.  Heavy dose of what ever rub you like, 250-285 dome temp, indirect with an elevated dry drip pan and a couple of fist size chunks oak.  Pull em when the probe like buttah, usually 5-7hrs.  The enjoy 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    They are done when they probe like "buttah".  Use a toothpick or a thermometer.  Enjoy the journey. How you get to the finish line (foil/no foil, mustard/no mustard, what rub you use, cook temp, etc) is part of the process.  Have a good beverage or two along the way. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• BigBlackV
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys just trying to control the temp now as its up near 350. I wana get it down to 250 before I put the ribs on. 
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    One of my favorite cooks, the results make me look like I know what I am doing.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    On my large to maintain 250 the bottom vent is open about the width of the thickness of a credit card and the Daisy wheel about the same. Doesn't take much
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • BigBlackV
    Options
    I'm at about 250 now and the meat has been on for about 30 min. I'm gonna go to the gym and I'll report back later 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    With the egg only being @250 for 30mins I would hold off on leaving for another 45-1hr.  I'd hate for you to come back to a fire that went out or one that is too hot. That's just me though.  

analyze adapt overcome

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Stable is a relative term but for me on the L&S cooks, I want to see no temperature movement for at least 45 mins before declaring "stable".  If I'm gonna be around to eye-ball the cook then I may cut that number.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BigBlackV
    Options
    Almost done, temp is at 180!!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    Glorious!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Looks like you are in for a banquet!!

analyze adapt overcome

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Full heal clicking salute. Yesireebob
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Brisket on a stick. Looks awesome
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BigBlackV
    Options
    Is that all brisket is? Sorry I'm not cowducated 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    BigBlackV said:
    Is that all brisket is? Sorry I'm not cowducated 
    No- was kidding a little. It's is a similar texture of meat but from a different area of the cow. Brisket is actually the breastplate of the cow and The chuck or short ribs are from the first 4 ribs behind that. Think of brisket as the pectoral and the ribs are behind that muscle. The first 4 are the chuck ribs (the chuck is the shoulder area like a pork butt), also called short ribs because the bones are actually shorter than the bones going back from there. They also have more meat on top of the bone. As the ribs go back to the loins (rib, strip, sirloin) they are longer but the meat is more in between the bones and there is hardly any at all on top of the bones. Pretty meager as far as rib meat goes. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Options
    Looks like you nailed it. Enjoy!
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin