Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Another CI question

Options
bhedges1987
bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
So I destroyed my first CI pan.  Bought another Lodge the other day, and I have seasoned it about 4 times with flax oil + 475 oven.  

My question is keeping it from getting messed up again.  I think I saw here a while back someone recommending wiping it with a paper towel after use and then putting a tablespoon of coconut oil in it while it's still on the grill  and let it cool down and wipe it out again.  

I just wanted to check to see if that is a good way of keeping it clean and seasoned.  I bought a whole tub of coconut oil at costco for like $18. 

My main problem is when I do burgers or steaks.  The blue cheese or sliced cheese run off gets on the pan and turns to a crud, that is very hard to clean after the pan cools.

So I guess my question is.  Should I take a paper towel to the pan while it's cooling down on the grill (still very hot) and then putting a little coconut oil in, and letting it cool completely and then wipe away?

Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @bhedges1987, there are many schools of thought and opinions, but I will tell you what works for me. I let the pan cool and take if off, usually the next day, and use a scraper to get the big chunks off. This is the one I use. http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-SCRAPERPKDurablePolycarbonateScrapers/dp/B0039UU9UO/ Then, I wash it with Dawn dish detergent (GASP, I know), dry it and put it on a burner on medium low heat to thoroughly dry. Remove from the heat after about 10 to 15 minutes, let it cool for a few minutes, and then add your oil in a very thin layer and wipe out the excess. Let it cool completely before storing. Many think the myth about not using soap to clean your CI dates back to the days when regular dish detergent had lye in it. That is no longer the case. If your pan is seasoned, you shouldn't have much sticking and the cheese just scrapes off. If it still sticks badly, just season it a few more times before you use it again. The more you season it, the more nonporous the metal becomes. Hope that helps and awaiting firestorm, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i bring out a little water, remove steak and add 1/8 cup, it sizzles and i work it with spatula, literally 2 seconds, then quickly wipe with papertowel to remove the loose crud. then its a judgement call to add more oil or not. what do you mean by destroyed =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    So I destroyed my first CI pan.  Bought another Lodge the other day, and I have seasoned it about 4 times with flax oil + 475 oven.  

My question is keeping it from getting messed up again.  I think I saw here a while back someone recommending wiping it with a paper towel after use and then putting a tablespoon of coconut oil in it while it's still on the grill  and let it cool down and wipe it out again.  

I just wanted to check to see if that is a good way of keeping it clean and seasoned.  I bought a whole tub of coconut oil at costco for like $18. 

My main problem is when I do burgers or steaks.  The blue cheese or sliced cheese run off gets on the pan and turns to a crud, that is very hard to clean after the pan cools.

So I guess my question is.  Should I take a paper towel to the pan while it's cooling down on the grill (still very hot) and then putting a little coconut oil in, and letting it cool completely and then wipe away?

Thanks

When you say destroyed, what do you mean?  Unless you warped it, it is still fine.  Worst case, you need to strip it and start over.

I try and clean when still warm.  If stuff is stuck on, fill with water and heat it up.  The Ringer, off amazon is the best CI cleaner I know.

I've got some cast iron, and the only time I've had to re-season are the 3 out of 3 pans I tried flax oil on.  The rest of my collection which I've used lard on remain perfect.  I've got 21 new-to-me pieces waiting to be seasoned, and I'll be sticking with lard.

After cleaning, heat up slightly (to dry it) and coat with a thin layer of oil and wipe off with dry paper towel.

@Dredger is one of my favs, but I disagree with using soap.  Dish soap is designed to de grease, which is the opposite of what you want with CI.  The camp is split though on this issue. 

Phoenix 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    i bring out a little water, remove steak and add 1/8 cup, it sizzles and i work it with spatula, literally 2 seconds, then quickly wipe with papertowel to remove the loose crud. then its a judgement call to add more oil or not. what do you mean by destroyed =)
    I'm with @fishlessman, let it cool or just put it in the sink under hot water, scrape it clean, let dry and wipe on a little olive oil with a paper towel.  I have had no problem with this.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    For light cooks I wipe down with a wet sponge and I add oil on a paper towel while pan is cooling down about every 3rd use.

For stuck on cooks +1 on hot water scrape and then for sure oil on paper towel.

I have needed on occasion to use dish soap but on those uses it gets a reseason cook almost immediately.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Scraper for big crud.  Kosher salt and paper towel for the rest.  I rarely find a need for water, it's fine to use as long as you dry and oil.  Add oil if necessary which is rare.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga