Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Houston Floods

Options
Thoughts and prayers for anyone in the Houston area who might be affected by the storms. 
Dallas, TX

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Houston and North of Houston got pounded...
    Hope it was not as bad as the News made it out to be. Good luck to all...
    We got lucky in Galveston as most of the rain skirted north of us as it moved East.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The bayous are full and will probably get higher as the water drains from the north part of the city.  Morning commute was terrible and most people at work stayed home. Some areas have been evacuated as more rain is expected. 

We're okay in our area but some folks are getting soggy. Better than a hurricane though I suppose. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Hope everyone is safe, looks bad.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    We got between 7" and 8" inches of rain in our area, but areas just to the west  maybe 5 miles, got well over that, at least 10" and one national news report said "16" in 24 hours" in some areas.  

But falling rain by itself does not damage nearly as much as the high winds, suspected tornado's, and rising water.  

In this instance, there were times when the rain was falling sideways.  Creeks and bayous were completely inundated with water causing any low low areas to be quickly overcome by massive amounts of water that had no place to go but 'UP.'  

One news station reminded us that no matter what the government says about flood plains and areas where even 100 year floods can't reach, is not true - that any place in Harris County can be flooded.  

We're 90 miles from the Gulf and at least 110' above sea level, so it's doubtful that we will get flooded from the Gulf but according to the reporter, we can still be flooded.  He stressed the need for everyone in Harris County to buy Flood Insurance.  That's a bit unnerving for some of us who built on high ground so that we would be safe.

There was a touch of irony as trucks loaded with bottled water were driving through flooded streets to get the water to areas that were most flooded.

Spring "Nature And Humans Don't Mix Well" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We have family in Houston. They are safe, but are surrounded by high water areas where boat rescues are happening.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Wow. Stay safe. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    My friend and his wife had their house 100% surrounded by water, not sure if by now it has gone inside their house but he humored my kitesurf friends by paddle boarding in his backyard yesterday 
    Austin, Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I hope you all in that area fair the best you can. This has been a rough couple of years for that area. My family and I will remember you in our prayers. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Wow, I really hope everyone is OK and not having to deal with water damage in their homes!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    All the best to the folks effected while mother nature plays hell with your lives. Be safe.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    It turns out that the amount of rain varied quite a bit around the city, with the most coming in the NW suburbs (~17" if the news is to be believed).  It rained where I was in buckets non-stop Sunday night, with constant strobes of lightning.

Having been out driving in similar madness years before (and having the joy of water pouring around the door seals on a car with 12,000 miles on it), we stayed put (and completed our barbacoa cook).

Running to the airport yesterday evening, the freeways had drained off (not always a given) but there were innumerable side roads and off ramps still fully inundated.

The odd thing about this storm was the relative lack of wind.  Most of the time when we get dunked like this, it is from hurricanes or tropical storms, and there are massive power outages due to downed power lines.  This time it was just water..... lots and lots and lots of water.

I actually haven't had a chance to see the local news, but I suspect there are a lot of families sleeping in gymnasiums for a few days.

Our thoughts are with the folks having to dig out of this.  It looks like the worst is passed for now
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    I'm north of Houston in Tomball, near The Woodlands... The roads around my neighborhood always flood, but the neighborhood always stays dry. Our retention pond got higher than I've ever seen it, but was still only about halfway up the banks. "Downtown" Tomball had water, as of this morning there were still many intersections underwater that I saw on my way to work. We never lost power at my house, water still works, thankfully. More than I can say for some other people. 

Friends of ours had their patio cover ripped off of their house by a small tornado and have some roof issues now because of that. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Having just gone through this in October in Columbia SC my thoughts are with those whom are affected. Terrible how much damage flood waters can do and fast. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013