Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to fix this broken kamado? I need help

Bought this Kamado Big Joe and i need help/suggestions on adhesives if any to fix it. I was also thinking of drilling small  holes and having stiches like metal plates to hold it together. Weight alone holds it in place and havent checked leaks yet. Its a circular break all the way around the base
Guess how much i paid for it!
pic next to my large to compare size

Austin, Tx

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Hey brother, that can't be fixed. All you can do is 'baby' it (low & slow cooks only) and try to find a new base.

Good luck!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Could the original owner not get a warranty claim, or did it break from a fall? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 424
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I used JB Weld also on the major cracks and finished the outside with quik crete.

Lost the link to the photos but rest assured the top, which fell off a table was in about 8-10 nice large pieces.

BGE, Kamado, Black Beauty, Richard Fl

1. Black Beauty:

2. She atarted out as a #4 Kamado whose previous owner acquired in Japan 40 odd years age. I found her in an estate sale for Yup $10 about 3 months ago. She had no bottom vent or bands.

3. Original manufacture's mark:

4. 2 tops and some innards:

5. Had a slight problem and the top became a Humpty Dumpty project:

6. The outer surface had been badly peeled off, so after fixing the top I used some Quickrete to resurface both parts:

7. More Repairs.

NOTES

1. The bottom vent happened to be the same size as a large BGE so got a new one. I had to get a band and the large BGE was 3 inches in diameter too large and the medium was too small. A fellow egger, John Yee, from California mentioned that he was replacing the scissor band on his large with the spring hinge, so we traded for his old band. Thanks John.

2. John Yee who provided the band.:
    When I decided that some of the surface area needed to be built up on the bottom and then I broke the top, bah I started to take a putty knife to all the ceramic on the bottom and easily peal it off. then I placed with the cement.
    That cement I used I had several pieces that were peeling off the bottom and after my accident with the top I just bought a can $6-8 at Lowes. Mix a little cup or so at a time as it has a fast set up time. Worked it all over and even did the inside of the top.. When I had done an area and it had set a little I took a wet rag and rubbed over lightly to smooth out the finish. It is slightly ruff grainy and after the whole thing was done, I took some 60-80 grit sand paper and just highlighted the finish, So far I am happy at this stage of the project.

3. Next had to get a welder to remove 3 inches on each side of the front bands. One welder wanted $75 and the other agreed to trade for a slab of ribs, 24 chicken wings and a 16 oz bottle of my chipotle BBQ Sauce. Guess which one got the job?

4. Now I only need a new handle. Anyone want to trade for some spices? Thanks for putting up with my wanderings.

5. NOTE to self. Keep under 375F.

Recipe Type: Equiptment/Toys

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2011/09/22**

Author Notes
    Egghead Forum, Stike 2012/06/02:

Dont confuse high dome temps with high temps

You can sear at 1200 on that with no issues

How?
    With a dome temp 400-500 and lump somewhat close to the grid, either by lowering the grid or filling with lump

Lump burns at 1200 or more, even when your dome says 250.
    Your eggs will sear just fine. Some folks as a rule sear at 400 dome anyway

So why do people claim you cant cook in that hing at decent temps? Dunno. Most of them dont own one, and are repeating admonitions that keep getting repeated simlly because they get repeated so often

The danger with the old earthenware kamados (whether yours is a BGE brand is irrelevant. It IS an old kamado) is that they can absorb water and experience cracking either through freeze/thaw (dont leave it outside in the winter), or from taking to crazy temps after periods of long soaking rains

Keep temps moderate (say 500 max), and have a ball. If you are considering making it a planter, you'll be ruining it anyway. Better to 'ruin' it by actually using it. But i'm betting you wont ruin it at all. The original owner didnt

A high temp paint will keep the rain off. The new eggs are made of a different ceramic and are glazed (effectively, glass-coated). But by painting yours (they were originally pained) and using it at less than skyrocket temps, you'll certainly be able to use it just like the original egg owners did.

Check the Naked Whiz's site for an original owner's manual

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,160
    you could try rutland furnace cement but your going to have to cut/maybe dremmel out wider grooves over the cracks to fill with the cement and im not sure how that would work out. it would definitely be a low temp cooker and it would need to be in a fire safe place
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    I figured low and slows, which is what I would use it for only since I have my large. I found a replacement for $200, I paid $100, so for $300 I got a big Joe with parts except for a deflector. Or I can sell as is for $100 to make my money. Even thought about keeping it at the in laws since we cook there every other weekend it seems.
    Austin, Tx
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @bgeaddikt where are you located? I'll gladly buy it!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,160
    bgeaddikt said:
    I figured low and slows, which is what I would use it for only since I have my large. I found a replacement for $200, I paid $100, so for $300 I got a big Joe with parts except for a deflector. Or I can sell as is for $100 to make my money. Even thought about keeping it at the in laws since we cook there every other weekend it seems.
    peace of mind and the replacement base
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bgeaddikt
    Funny thing is I thought it was a smaller size, maybe a medium or large. Transaction happened VIA craigslist at 3am. He had people lined up all day the next day which is why I picked it up at that time. He asked $300 originally and let it go for $100. Figured I learn my lesson on a broken kamado before I break my own lol
    Austin, Tx
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I bought this for my 1960's kamado. Haven't used it yet so can't say as to whether it works or not. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bgeaddikt
    @Jeremiah Keep me posted. I will look into it this weekend after eggfest in Salado to get more opinions
    Austin, Tx
  • bgeaddikt
    Got tired of researching so i just ordered a new base for $200 free shipping no tax
    Austin, Tx
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    $300 for the Big Joe is a great deal.  Of course you will still need to a heat deflector but it should still end up being a great deal. 

Are you thinking about getting the divide and conquer system?   The Joe's now come with a "divide and conquer" system that looks pretty nice, but last I checked it was pretty pricey to buy all the pieces individually.   

The old school deflector seems pretty reasonable and looks like it also allows a raised direct setup:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kamado-Joe-Big-Heat-Deflector/dp/B008BVAXCA

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.