Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First butt on the egg

Options
Renegaderam
Renegaderam Posts: 90
edited February 2016 in Pork
Ok gonna fire my new egg up tonight and put this 7.35 lb pork butt on about 10 pm. For a low and slow gonna keep it right around 230 or 250 degrees with a little help from my egg family how long should it cook I'm thinking about 10 to 11 hours to get to my 200 Internal degrees. Will post cooking and pulled pics tomorrow. Using pecan wood for the smoke. Also should it be fat up or down.

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Standing by for the finale photos...
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Every pig cooks at its own pace.  I have seen them run 2+ hrs/lb at that temp, especially if you are talking calibrated dome temp.  That said, if the pig is lagging the problem in the AM you can dial it up into the low 300's*F to punch it home.
    And cap up or down-I haven't seen a difference but I run down.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Renegaderam
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Every pig cooks at its own pace.  I have seen them run 2+ hrs/lb at that temp, especially if you are talking calibrated dome temp.  That said, if the pig is lagging the problem in the AM you can dial it up into the low 300's*F to punch it home.
    And cap up or down-I haven't seen a difference but I run down.  FWIW-
    Thanks lou
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I generally cook around 250 on my egg fat cap down and foil once I hit the stall.  This helps push it to the finish in a reasonable amount of time (75min/lb).  The thing to remember with BBQ is its done when it's done.  I've cooked 3 10lbs at once and 2 out of 3 finished close the other took an addition 90min.  Like stated above you can bump the temp if it's getting tight on time.  The other option is to simply do a turbo cook run the egg at around 325 until it's done (45min/lb). Again the times stated are best guesses each piece of meat will cook at its own rate dependent upon connective tissue, fat and a host of other items.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Renegaderam
    Options
    ryantt said:
    I generally cook around 250 on my egg fat cap down and foil once I hit the stall.  This helps push it to the finish in a reasonable amount of time (75min/lb).  The thing to remember with BBQ is its done when it's done.  I've cooked 3 10lbs at once and 2 out of 3 finished close the other took an addition 90min.  Like stated above you can bump the temp if it's getting tight on time.  The other option is to simply do a turbo cook run the egg at around 325 until it's done (45min/lb). Again the times stated are best guesses each piece of meat will cook at its own rate dependent upon connective tissue, fat and a host of other items.  

Thanks
  • Renegaderam
    Options
    Ok it's on crossing my fingers it turns out well. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Wow, look at that virgin egg! Enjoy the ride. 
  • Renegaderam
    Options
    Yes it is lol trying to regulate the temp it keeps wanting to creep up to 300 degrees
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yes it is lol trying to regulate the temp it keeps wanting to creep up to 300 degrees
    Don't sweat it. If it creeps just roll with it. It will be awesome I swear. Just watch your final temp, I like @200-205
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    I did my first 1 a few weeks ago and it took longer then i thought, just be patient, it'll be worth it.
    Austin, Tx
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Sounds like a good time.. Enjoy..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Renegaderam
    Options
    Ok survived the night egg went from 275 down to 200 during the night meat temp was 160 at the time so I opened the bottom vent it went to 300 and I'm going to let it finish there. Meat temp now 185. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Just go til the bone pulls clean and you are there.  Likely in the low200's*f.  Enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Renegaderam
    Options
    Yeah probably gonna take it off at about 205.
  • Renegaderam
    Renegaderam Posts: 90
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks lou for your help and everybody else in my egg family that chimed in ya'll made me not sweat my first butt. It made it alot easier I wasn't nervous at all. My virgin egg is now broken in along with me lol. Pics coming soon.
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    Yeah probably gonna take it off at about 205.
    I did (6) Butts last weekend. I pulled them at 205 to 211. They were moist and pulled great.

Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• Renegaderam
    Options
    Finished product. Green egg pulled pork, a cold Rolling Rock and homemade Cole slaw. So fellow eggheads do I pass.
  • kwdickert
    Options
    do you have a picture with all the colors in it???? This makes me feel like it tasted the equivalent of the color grey haha.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg