Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Meets Joetisserie - A New Dimension In Egging

Options

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,902
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Dredger said:

Best picture yet of how the unit functions.  All the others I've seen have it installed in the base of an egg.  The flange sits down in the base and keeps it correctly positioned ... yes?

With food on the horizon, I suspect you didn't do a dollar bill test to see if it fit the BGE geometry ... will you sometime in the future?

Thanks for posting.

My big disappointment was how sloppy the fit was on the Kamado Joe. You could slide the whole unit front and back or left to right enough to create gaps. I understand the need to leave "play" because of tolerances in ceramic molds but this was way to much. It might actually fit better in the Large Egg?

Darian, wouldn't a ring of some "fireproof gasket" cure that issue for you? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Thanks @chrisc133 for the links for the extra stuff. I also appreciate you chiming in and helping out. @Photo Egg were they actually cooking on the unit you saw in the store? One important aspect of rotisserie cooking is centering and balancing the meat. Also, tighten the tines with a pair of pliers, don't just hand tighten. As meat cooks, it shrinks a little and the tines will loosen up unless you really tighten them down. That is when the meat will cause the spit to turn unevenly. Hope that makes sense. The motor on this baby is whisper quiet.

Thanks @SmokeyPitt and yeah, don't leave the motor outside, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    5% off coupon on the 'Yard & Pool' website, total price shipped is $237.49
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Thanks @chrisc133 for the links for the extra stuff. I also appreciate you chiming in and helping out. @Photo Egg were they actually cooking on the unit you saw in the store? One important aspect of rotisserie cooking is centering and balancing the meat. Also, tighten the tines with a pair of pliers, don't just hand tighten. As meat cooks, it shrinks a little and the tines will loosen up unless you really tighten them down. That is when the meat will cause the spit to turn unevenly. Hope that makes sense. The motor on this baby is whisper quiet.

OK,
    I will try and make this clear.
    My issue was the amount of "play" or "movement" I saw when placing this product on the cooker. It could literally be moved far enough front or back, left or right that it creates a large air gap between the felt line and the rotisserie ring wedge before it hits the inner lip stop of the rotisserie ring.
    I understand the need for product expansion but this just seemed, to me, very excessive.
    I have used rotisseries for years and I clearly understand the importance of tying up your protein, tightening the tines, balancing and centering.

What I don't understand is, on the KJ model in the store I saw, why there was enough "play" in the placement of the ring to shift the ring about 2" from one side of the grill to the other.
    Again, this issue might have been fixed. It also might not be an issue with you as you are using a BGE and the diameter of the opening might be slightly larger than the KJ Classic.

I'm really not trying to turn this into a battle or bashing of KJ as I own several of both. 

I'm out of your post and apologize for taking away from the great cooking you have done with this product but appreciate your input on the ring.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options

RRP said:

Darian, wouldn't a ring of some "fireproof gasket" cure that issue for you? 
    Sure it would Ron. But why should I have to modify a KJ product to use on my KJ cooker after spending $250 on the product. It should fit better in their own cooker?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:

There's basically zero chance the Joetisserie is going to move around especially with the dome closed.

If I recall some of the posts over the past year on some KJ oriented forums part of the "sloppiness" of the fit was due to allowing for some size differences in the base (not all come out perfectly round/flat), rates of expansion of aluminum vs. ceramic, and alignment of domes/lids (not every kamado is going to be perfectly aligned) to allow for some wiggle room.
    Like I said, I understand there is a need for some "slop" but this just seems very, very excessive, at least on the showroom model I saw.
    Have you cooked with one?
    I will be back to the store this weekend that sells the rotisserie and I will look at it again.
    Don't have one as I don't have a KJ Classic or Large Egg. When they release the one for the Big Joe later this year I'll definitely get one.

I'd have to look it up but I'm guessing the expansion of aluminum is much greater than the ceramic. If they make it too snug you risk cracking a base which would be far worse than just having some sloppiness in the fit when cold.
    Have you even "hands on" looked at the KJ Rotisserie on a ceramic cooker to base any of your comments above regarding the fit? Or are you just guessing based on photos and posts from others?
    chrisc133 and @Dredger are helpful because they have used and cooked with the product.
    Geeez dude don't get your thong too tight.

Just basing my comments on comments from the president of the Kamado Joe company in conversations regarding the Joetisserie, their upcoming cast iron firebox and their new cap (similar to a Smokeware cap) to replace the daisy wheel that no kamado owners seem to like over the past year or so.

I have talked with a dozen or so other people that have actually used them (one who has had one for about 6 months now) and nobody but you seems to be really concerned because it does not have Swiss watch tolerances *which for reasons I mentioned earlier it would be unwise for it too).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dredger
    Options
    @Photo Egg no apology needed. I understand your concern about the unit you saw. From what I have found, this product has had a three year journey to get to market, so there were probably many variations on display at dealers for potential users to see. Don't know. I am just very happy that the unit we have works well. I am also not bashing KJ in the least. We had even considered a Joe Jr., but opted for the Smoke Vault. It's been really cloudy today with a few snow flurries, but I will try to get some interior pics if its sunny tomorrow that may be a little clearer. I think these threads are important for all of us to field questions and look for answers, so your input is important IMHO.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • miniegghead
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Dredger said:

OK,
    I will try and make this clear.
    My issue was the amount of "play" or "movement" I saw when placing this product on the cooker. It could literally be moved far enough front or back, left or right that it creates a large air gap between the felt line and the rotisserie ring wedge before it hits the inner lip stop of the rotisserie ring.
    I understand the need for product expansion but this just seemed, to me, very excessive.
    I have used rotisseries for years and I clearly understand the importance of tying up your protein, tightening the tines, balancing and centering.

What I don't understand is, on the KJ model in the store I saw, why there was enough "play" in the placement of the ring to shift the ring about 2" from one side of the grill to the other.
    Again, this issue might have been fixed. It also might not be an issue with you as you are using a BGE and the diameter of the opening might be slightly larger than the KJ Classic.

I'm really not trying to turn this into a battle or bashing of KJ as I own several of both. 

I'm out of your post and apologize for taking away from the great cooking you have done with this product but appreciate your input on the ring.
    The rotisserie design was not only to fit a KJ, but all major 18" inch ceramic cookers on the market. Do to its design it will be sloppy in some units and a better fit in other units, this design won't change. As long as you center the unit it does not move around by itself. It has been tested and verified on Kamado Joe, Big Green Egg, Grill Dome, Primo, Saffire, Comet, Cypress, Vision, even works on Kamado pot, Imperial Kamado, and Kyoto Kamado. Regardless of what you own everyone can enjoy a new way of cooking. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,415
    Options
    @Dredger said: I think these threads are important for all of us to field questions and look for answers, so your input is important IMHO. 

I agree.  I have been exposed to many products that I otherwise never would have found had it not been for the openness of this forum.  And the perceived value of them has run the spectrum-but at least I was able to assess on my own.  

Now the subsequent $$ spend is a whole 'nother deal.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options

The rotisserie design was not only to fit a KJ, but all major 18" inch ceramic cookers on the market. Do to its design it will be sloppy in some units and a better fit in other units, this design won't change. As long as you center the unit it does not move around by itself. It has been tested and verified on Kamado Joe, Big Green Egg, Grill Dome, Primo, Saffire, Comet, Cypress, Vision, even works on Kamado pot, Imperial Kamado, and Kyoto Kamado. Regardless of what you own everyone can enjoy a new way of cooking. 
    Thank you, that sounds like a great way to design a specialty item and make it more marketable. Appreciate you taking the time to post.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dredger
    Options
    Sorry guys, didn't mean to start a fire storm.

@lousubcap, I couldn't agree more. The more info available, the more of an informed decision you can make. This wonderful forum has helped hubby and I spend lots of money. :)
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • bigbadben
    Options
    I cant wait for an XL version, hopefully just a couple months!
  • jpakma
    jpakma Posts: 37
    Options
    Damn this thread! I am so new to the game I haven't yet made the deposit with CGS for my wishlist and now I have yet another must have companion for my LBGE. Let me say this site is invaluable for recipes, cooks, inspiration, assistance, humor and sucking all the $$$$ out of my bank accounts. 

Thanks for the great review and documented experience @Dredger can't wait to see the prime rib cook. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    @Dredger     I tell the wife I am good for a while and you come along with this........you are killing me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dredger
    Options
    @mpakma, that applies only if you love rotisserie cooking. The egg rules your bank account and it is all good. You need to decide what method you will cook most and pick and choose. There is always later down the road

@ northGacock, sorry man. If I didn't post it someone else would have. Hubby said this is the last thing we need. Yeah right. We all know this to be false. He said that about the Grill Grates.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Dredger
    Great looking bird and great review too sister. Thanks for sharing.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I was going to get one for roasting...but I wont be able to monitor my internal temp with the DigiQ....dang it

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @ SGH, the bird was outstanding. I made your Tater Tot Casserole tonight and will post on your thread tomorrow. Thumbs up all the way around. It was spectacular. I included some other Southern delicacies we served with it as well.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger
    Options
    @bcsnave, dude, it's chicken. One hour at 350 plus or minus and you're golden. This is rotisserie cooking over an open fire, not indirect. Stop the rotation after an hour and check with the thermapen. If it's not up to snuff, go for another ten minutes. Easy peasy.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    I'm thinking $250 divided by how many times I'm going to use it. I think it's a great item but I just don't see using it more than a couple-three times a year. I guess I'd like to have one to use once in a while, but for $250 I'll pass. But doggone, it is a nice item.
  • Dredger
    Options
    @Mosca, I understand completely. We'll be using our weekly, but that's just us. We're rotisserie junkies, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    I was going to get one for roasting...but I wont be able to monitor my internal temp with the DigiQ....dang it
    Battery pack ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I've seen a few videos on this product and it looks nice.  I actually like the KJ stuff because they are always trying something new.  Their divide and conquer system is on my list of things to buy and now this once available for the XL.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Dredger said:

Best picture yet of how the unit functions.  All the others I've seen have it installed in the base of an egg.  The flange sits down in the base and keeps it correctly positioned ... yes?

With food on the horizon, I suspect you didn't do a dollar bill test to see if it fit the BGE geometry ... will you sometime in the future?

Thanks for posting.
    I also really like rotisserie cooking and I use my Weber kettle to do this.
    I have been watching the KJ introduction of this product for over a year.
    I finally got see one a few weeks ago at a Ace Hardware in North Houston and I was very impressed with the build design and quality.
    My big disappointment was how sloppy the fit was on the Kamado Joe. You could slide the whole unit front and back or left to right enough to create gaps. I understand the need to leave "play" because of tolerances in ceramic molds but this was way to much. It might actually fit better in the Large Egg?

While it's true that you "could" slide the more important factor is that it "doesn't" slide while on the grill or during operation.  

The he beauty of the design is that it is not custom fit specifically to the KJ line, I've seen folks using it on Akorns, and as you can see, the OP is rockin one on her Egg like a champ.  I also love this cooking techinque and plan to "spin" a 12# turkey this weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/GZVsTH595XGLcIKcsTVYJFiFvg4I6N20NlVv6pONpuT

Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • Dredger
    Options
    @ryantt we watched every video we could find too. After talking to the folks at Fireside, we just decided to take a leap of faith. When it arrived, we just slapped our forehead and had a V8 moment, lol. Duh.

@freddyj we're all about using what works, no matter who manufacturers it and this works very well. KJ has a winner with this one IMHO. Thanks and be sure to post your turkey cook. Standing by.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,541
    Options
    Horizontal gyro  ;)
    canuckland
  • chrisc133
    Options
    Horizontal gyro  ;)
    Actually picked up a lamb leg from Costco to spin and make gyro sandwiches. Looking forward to that cook. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,541
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @chrisc133
    nice but that's cheating 
    ;)   I'm thinking the mixed meat gyro cylinder  =)
    canuckland
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Might have to make a trip to Augusta soon to check this out.  KJ corporate is just down the street, I wonder if they will let me stop by to check it out!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!