Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Meets Joetisserie - A New Dimension In Egging

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    bigbadben said:

I found found this picture on Facebook. Kamadomate is the first generation of the joetissary. Hope this helps
    Good find!

Looks just like the Weber charcoal baskets. I'd be very surprised if the Weber baskets couldn't be used just setting on the fire ring.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    The real advantage would be if you were thinking about buying a KAB ... currently going for $59.  Then the Fire Box would be a viable choice ... currently going for $79. 
    Nice, I will pull my MM KAB and use it in the large with my pan under the meat.
    Seattle, WA
  • miniegghead
    Options
    This was my final design, it had a veggie and charcoal baskets. So you could do both vertical and horizontal rotisserie. And a duel diffuser plate where it be open or closed or anywhere in between for heat control. It also had the option for direct and indirect cooking.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @stompbox it's anodized cast aluminum.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Shipped today great service by pool and yard if anyone's interested (free shipping and 5% off). Cant wait.
    Seattle, WA
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Dredger thanks for the review, I've enjoyed following this post. Like I said before I hope to get one for my XL soon
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Still it's more reasonable than the Rodizo (which I buy in a heartbeat if not for cost). Just not convinced I'd use it enough to justify the expense . Spatchcock or whole and boom...done . 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dredger
    Options
    Congrats @SkinnyV , that's a great deal. @ryantt, I hope they have one soon for the Xl. @NPHuskerFL, I understand, but we're rotisserie junkies and just had to have one, lol. Did another chicken last night that was scheduled for soup previously. Will use left overs for chicken pot pie. Soup will have to wait. Pics to follow. We were planning a standing rib roast for Valentin'es day, but the high for the day is supposed to be 39 degrees around noon. It'll be in the 20's by cooking time. That's a little cold for us retirees. Will schedule the roast for later in the week. We'll do filets instead on the Grill Grates for Valentine's day. 6 minutes and done. 
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I guess if you really enjoy it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dredger
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL, you are so right. We are really enjoying it. They were calling for a dusting of snow at noon today. It's 10:45 and we have at least an inch of snow and it's still coming down. The top of the egg is covered already, lol. Being retirees, it's Bloody Mary time. Still coming down.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Beautiful!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Dredger
    Options
    @bluebird66, it finally stopped so maybe it's done for the day. It was really pretty and unexpected. Bloody Mary's will have to wait while we forage for more food at the grocery store, lol. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? It's February in the South. Flip a coin.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Must....look away.............and hide wallet.......... =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Dredger
    Options
    I hear ya, @SmokinPiney, but look deep into my eyes and do my bidding. Just kidding, this is a drop in the bucket for all the other toys we have acquired and love almost as much. But this is the piece de resistance for us and our egg.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    It looks like an amazing addition to the Egg. Right now, though, I'm saving coin for a large pellet smoker I've been eyeing.....$$$$.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • chrisc133
    Options
    It looks like an amazing addition to the Egg. Right now, though, I'm saving coin for a large pellet smoker I've been eyeing.....$$$$.
    Which one?  I'm eyeing one myself 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Dredger
    Options
    @SmokingPiney, I hear ya. Pellet smokers look very nice too.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    Which one?  I'm eyeing one myself 
    I don't want to derail Dredger's thread here, but a Yoder YS1500 Competition. 
  • Dredger
    Options
    No derail here. We're talking about outdoor cooking. I've been looking at pellet grills myself. Bring it on! Enable me. Hubby is dragging his feet on the pellet grill and I'm trying to win him over. However, the Joetisserie is distracting me temporarily. =)
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Dredger, I've been researching pellet smokers for a couple months. I've decided to go big or stay home. Here is the smoker I intend to buy, hopefully this summer:

http://www.yodersmokers.com/ys1500-competition-cart.html
  • chrisc133
    Options
    I live about five minutes down the road from rec Tec hq and I think I'm going to go with them. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    There are lots of good pellet smokers to be had. Rec Tec has a good reputation. 

A pellet smoker will make a great companion for the Egg.  :)
  • Dredger
    Options
    Holy crap @SmokingPiney now that's what I call a pellet grill. That thing is a beast. We were looking at pellet grills and we also really wanted the Smoke Vault, which we got. It, also, is a nice addition to the egg.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Dredger  or anyone else with knowledge, I have a question. I have a Rutland gasket installed on my egg, which means I have no gasket on the top dome - am I gonna have an issue with air leakage or will I possibly have to buy another gasket for the Joetisserie from @RRP to give it a tight seal?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Dredger
    Options
    Not sure @SoCalTim we have the Nomex High Temp gasket, so top and bottom gasket on ours. I would think the weight of the dome should do a good job of sealing it down, but maybe @RRP could chime in with an opinion. We have no leaks at the gasket level on ours.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hopefully the XL/big joe version will come out soon, rotisserie is just such nice way to barbecue. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Dredger  or anyone else with knowledge, I have a question. I have a Rutland gasket installed on my egg, which means I have no gasket on the top dome - am I gonna have an issue with air leakage or will I possibly have to buy another gasket for the Joetisserie from @RRP to give it a tight seal?
    Just my guess here, but unless the plane of your dome is perfectly flat I imagine you may have some leakage. If you are inclined to place a gasket then instead of applying it to your egg dome apply it to the Joetisserie. Otherwise you will have too much gasket for your other cooks as the dome and base will have alignment issues.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Giving this roto a try this weekend. Looking to practice competition chicken thighs in a basket set-up. Competition cooks are like made scientists!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Grillfittiguy
    Options
    Just so everyone knows, besides Kamado Joe and Big Green Egg, it also fits, Grill Dome, Vision, Bravo by MHP, Saffire, Primo (old round) and most likely the original Japanese ones.   My understanding is that there are accessories that go with the Joetisserie design and at least one of them will be available this Spring to enhance the rotissing process even more.
  • Grillfittiguy
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I think the solution would be simply to install a gasket on top of the JOEtisserie.  The original design incorporated gaskets for the rotisserie design. but it was decided that it wasn't necessary to double them up when a kamado had top and bottom gaskets already.