Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For @darby_crenshaw BAD meat

Options

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    So should I have treated my dry aging ribeye roast with CO so my wife wouldn't be complaining about the rotting meat in the fridge?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    That video is about ten years old.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    And now we won't know country of origin either. I  didn't know about Carbon Monoxide treatment of meat. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I didn't watch it, but I know what you are talking about. 

[mounts soap box]

Those deep white trays are the ones that have had CO used to fill them. Not the in-store packed stuff

believe it ot not, it sounds bad. It ain't. 

The issue here is not that the meat is bad it isn't. It's that americans have been trained by advertising that meat should be bright red all the time, and that if it isn't, it's 'bad'

so, CO is used tokeep the meat bright red so that it can stay on the shelf longer.

That sounds nefarious doesn't it?  Old meat!  Nah. Let's calm down.

Let's remember, someone got a  great discount here the ither dayon tenderloin, sold at a third of the price as usual, and was told that it was a maistame. That meat should have been thrown out before hitting the sales floor. 

Was it bad? No. Was it even un-fresh? nah. It was on or past it's sell by date.  A date which has no connection to food safety, but which every walking talking (but unthinking) typicL consumer is indicative of going 'bad' and being safe. 

In reality, those tenderloins were the best ones in the store, if you want flavor and tenderness 

i won't go into the aging BS again. But if you buy a perfectly fresh steak, bright red, essentially all the flavor is from fat. The red flesh is water and protein. Protein has no flavor. Now, sure, it has been aged actually. Usually a couple weeks i think. So there's *some* flavor from aging (proteins breaking down into flavorful components), but let's face it. You are tasting fat. THe older stuff is actually preferable, if you can get you wife's voice out of your head, or untrain yourself to not follow consumer training

blah blah blah

back to the CO. 

Without the CO, that meat is good for a lot longer than the sell by date anyway. Thee CO just keeps it bright red so Mr and Mrs Consumer will not assume they are going to kill their family if the steak is not bright red. 

The real issue here? The ground meat is packed with CO in an offsite central facility whose machines handle tons of ground meat a day. The grinder is a potential vehicle for spreading any gut bacteria (the bad stuff) among tons of meat.  

Not sure if the machine in the store (store-ground) is any better. I was a 17 year old meat cutter in a paper hat and i was never instructed to clean the grinder. I don't know if they ever did.  

Don't mean to do multi laragraphs all the time. But i like to know (or try to know)what I'm dealing with. And to be honest, when this stroy broke a long while ago, my knee jerk reaction was to be outraged (outraged, i tell you!!).  Then i thought about it, and realized it wasn't foisting bad meat on people. It was away to not waste food

we americans throw out HALF or more of our food, believing it to be 'bad'. The vast majority is safe to eat. But we are a few generations removed from any familiarity with food production. We literally do not understand our food, despite all the FoodTV shows we watch. We THINK we know food. And we feel empowered when we say "i don't know if it is good, but if you are unsure, best to throw it out". 

I find the crux of that is that the person who says it really thinks they are doing the right thing and feels that anyone else is stupid to do otherwise

me? I think they are stupid to not understand their food 

"damn! We left the milk out! Better toss it!"  Then an week later before their summer party, as they take pretty pics of their food prep and upload to facebook: "Time to make some creme fraiche. Let's google a recipe!"

[soapbox dismounted]

TL/DR: stuff's fine. Don't buy into the outrage on facebook
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Darby_Crenshaw
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @bgebrent If your wife is uncomfortable with it, your job is to explain what's happening and why it is fine. Need to unlearn what those pretty meat pics in Good Housekeeping have trained the consumer since the advent of color printed popular magazines in the 1930s. 

That's partly in jest. But only partly

lotta truth to that. 

We have been trained by advertising to pile our plate, and accept nothing but picture perfect food

i like to carry a canoe paddle to the grocery store and hit people in the back of the head as they stand there opening and checking corn on the cob. That is the most recent  "i dunno what i'm doing, nor why.  But everyone else is doin it" phenomenon. 

"Gotta be perfect. I need a dozen that will look good on facebook. "

(Tongue planted firmly in cheek, for those with internet blindness)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i dont know if i trust the 17 year old worker that finds co2 packaged hamburger in the cereal section next to a pile of chicken bones, looks to see if it still looks fresh, and puts it back in the meat display =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Exactly fish

i ran a tenderloin thru a chunking machine (to make those 99 cents a pound tenderloin tips your mom used to buy at Kealey Farms on rt28), and i forgot to put the plastic bin on the floor under the end where they dropped out

my boss came in and I pointed at them and I said "oh my god. I'm sorry..."

he grabbed a plastic bin, scooped up the meat, tossed it in the bin and told me to bag them up and price them. He said "they are gonna cook them anyway"

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I check the corn on the cob. Not for freshness I can tell threat by the husk. I check it for bugs. I'm lucky here in Iowa though as I can get it fresh from the farm for 1.00 a dozen in season.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Bang.  Upside the head with the paddle!

(then the corn cob tester shoots me with his concealed carry.)

(Farmers here always sold a baker 's dozen on the odd chance that one or two would have a worm at the tip. When it did, you cut off the tip and laughed about how you still had thirteen. )

heavy and rounded for its size, and it's good to go

the number of open corn cobs people throw back which don't have worms belies the fact that that's what they are lookin for. Maybe not you. But them

• MelSharples
    Options
    Grind your own ground beef, cut your own steaks and roasts, it's cheaper and safer.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Exactly fish

i ran a tenderloin thru a chunking machine (to make those 99 cents a pound tenderloin tips your mom used to buy at Kealey Farms on rt28), and i forgot to put the plastic bin on the floor under the end where they dropped out

my boss came in and I pointed at them and I said "oh my god. I'm sorry..."

he grabbed a plastic bin, scooped up the meat, tossed it in the bin and told me to bag them up and price them. He said "they are gonna cook them anyway"

from someone working at MB years ago i heard a light spray of lysol turns brown burger bright again
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    @bgebrent If your wife is uncomfortable with it, your job is to explain what's happening and why it is fine. Need to unlearn what those pretty meat pics in Good Housekeeping have trained the consumer since the advent of color printed popular magazines in the 1930s. 

Of course a truly brave man would turn to his wife and say "And you don't exactly look like Cindy Crawford, but I still think you're a keeper."  Personally, I'm not that man.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    @fishlessman   I have known people who thought that the store was hiding the 'bad' hamburger in the center and putting the fresh stuff on the outside.  hahaha

when you grind it, it is dark/purpley meat.  like the inside of a fresh steak.

but after grinding, the air turns it red initially.  well, there's no air INSIDE the pile of hamburger.  so it stays darkish purple.

that stuff comes out of the grinder all at once and in a spiral.  there's no way someone is mixing old with new.  the interior would be a round ball, separate from the exterior.  ...but try telling them that.  :)

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2016
    Options
    FarmerTom said:

Brother Farmer, I don't keep up with the latest grading standards any longer. But I believe the above would grade out at Wagyu Gold =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    SGH said:
    FarmerTom said:

Brother Farmer, I don't keep up with the latest grading standards any longer. But I believe the above would grade out at Wagyu Gold =)

Either that or we're all just being fooled by treatment with carbon monoxide.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Here is a picture of the BAD tenderloins I bought the other day. We had some for dinner the other night and they were as tender as butter. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

[mounts soap box]

Those deep white trays are the ones that have had CO used to fill them. Not the in-store packed stuff

The issue here is not that the meat is bad it isn't. It's that americans have been trained by advertising that meat should be bright red all the time, and that if it isn't, it's 'bad'

so, CO is used tokeep the meat bright red so that it can stay on the shelf longer.

Let's remember, someone got a  great discount here the ither dayon tenderloin, sold at a third of the price as usual, and was told that it was a maistame. That meat should have been thrown out before hitting the sales floor. 

Was it bad? No. Was it even un-fresh? nah. It was on or past it's sell by date.  A date which has no connection to food safety, but which every walking talking (but unthinking) typicL consumer is indicative of going 'bad' and being safe. 

In reality, those tenderloins were the best ones in the store, if you want flavor and tenderness 

i won't go into the aging BS again. But if you buy a perfectly fresh steak, bright red, essentially all the flavor is from fat. The red flesh is water and protein. Protein has no flavor. Now, sure, it has been aged actually. Usually a couple weeks i think. So there's *some* flavor from aging (proteins breaking down into flavorful components), but let's face it. You are tasting fat. THe older stuff is actually preferable, if you can get you wife's voice out of your head, or untrain yourself to not follow consumer training

blah blah blah

back to the CO. 

Without the CO, that meat is good for a lot longer than the sell by date anyway. Thee CO just keeps it bright red so Mr and Mrs Consumer will not assume they are going to kill their family if the steak is not bright red. 

The real issue here? The ground meat is packed with CO in an offsite central facility whose machines handle tons of ground meat a day. The grinder is a potential vehicle for spreading any gut bacteria (the bad stuff) among tons of meat.  

Not sure if the machine in the store (store-ground) is any better. I was a 17 year old meat cutter in a paper hat and i was never instructed to clean the grinder. I don't know if they ever did.  

Don't mean to do multi laragraphs all the time. But i like to know (or try to know)what I'm dealing with. And to be honest, when this stroy broke a long while ago, my knee jerk reaction was to be outraged (outraged, i tell you!!).  Then i thought about it, and realized it wasn't foisting bad meat on people. It was away to not waste food

we americans throw out HALF or more of our food, believing it to be 'bad'. The vast majority is safe to eat. But we are a few generations removed from any familiarity with food production. We literally do not understand our food, despite all the FoodTV shows we watch. We THINK we know food. And we feel empowered when we say "i don't know if it is good, but if you are unsure, best to throw it out". 

I find the crux of that is that the person who says it really thinks they are doing the right thing and feels that anyone else is stupid to do otherwise

"damn! We left the milk out! Better toss it!"  Then an week later before their summer party, as they take pretty pics of their food prep and upload to facebook: "Time to make some creme fraiche. Let's google a recipe!"

[soapbox dismounted]

This turned out even better than I'd hoped....
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I need a bigger fone, cuz i can't type for sh!t on this one. 

I are mormally a integgelint person. But my fone typin makes me soun like zippy

• bgebrent
    Options

[mounts soap box]

blah blah blah

back to the CO. 

[soapbox dismounted]

This turned out even better than I'd hoped....
    As it should.  Education  and information.  Thanks again @Darby_Crenshaw.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    If anyone could understand that. 

Damn. I typed it sober and can't understand it when I'm drunk

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    Thank you Darby_Crenshaw , but what is a good method to tell if meat is still OK?  Generally, I would think if it's still on a store shelf, it should be fine.  Although I do occasionally see that managers special that looks like it has a small film of motor oil starting on it with the full spectrum of colors starting to appear, those I leave alone.  Milk, (I used to have a small dairy), if it doesn't smell sour, I drink it.
        But what about meat that got slid back in the fridge? It's starting to turn dark.  How do you know when it's no longer good to eat?  Seriously, I don't like throwing anything away that is still usable, but I had food poisoning once, spent several days in the hospital on an IV.  I don't want to do that again. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fellows, don't believe everything that some nimrod spouts off. Use your better judgement. To some degree I have always kept most of my thoughts and opinions to myself on the good meat bad meat debate. Why? Just for the sake of someone saying "Well SGH said so". With a little research and common sense on your part, you can easily pick apart most guidelines and safety recommendations and see them for what they are. Darby/Stike has always done a excellent job of picking apart most of the safety rhetoric. Here is a little evidence to support his case. Here is some meat that has been salt curing without refrigeration for 19 days. I pulled and rinsed it today just to do a tightness and hydration test on it. One look by any USDA meat inspector and this meat would be rejected and thrown out. On that note, all of this meat will be fired on unit #6 and eaten with a smile on my face. What some call rotten or bad, others call a delicacy. Here is a prime example of that. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    Options

That's partly in jest. But only partly

lotta truth to that. 

We have been trained by advertising to pile our plate, and accept nothing but picture perfect food

i like to carry a canoe paddle to the grocery store and hit people in the back of the head as they stand there opening and checking corn on the cob. That is the most recent  "i dunno what i'm doing, nor why.  But everyone else is doin it" phenomenon. 

"Gotta be perfect. I need a dozen that will look good on facebook. "

(Tongue planted firmly in cheek, for those with internet blindness)
    Rather sure you knew it was in jest.  Big roast dry aging in fridge was inspired by you friend.  It's gonna be awesome and I don't do Facebook, or Instagram or any other self indulgent social media site.  I will document the dry age brother.  Thank you for all the information.  I appreciate you man.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Meat will be good in your fridge 'practically' forever. As long as your fridge is running correctly

What's practically forever?

You buy a roast. Manager's special. A little brown. Some sheen to it. A magic rainbow of colors. 

But it is cheap. And you'll cook it tonight!  So you buy it. 

A week later you you find it. Oops!

guess what?

still good. 

'sell by' dates have nothing (say it again) nothing (and i mean, nothing) to do with food safety. Nothing

it's about how pretty and fresh it is

but 'fresh' is relative 

cheese is unfresh milk

prosciutto is a pork roast that is waaaay past its sell by

look. Don't listen to me. I'm an idiot.

listen to yourself. If you don't know if the meat is good, don't ask "hey, anonymous guy on the internet, is my meat still good?"  Instead, ask yourself. "Why don't I (me. Myself) know whethwr my meat is good or not"

Ten thousand years ago, a man who fed his family understood his food better than most american men today, said men whose idea of manhood is to buy an apron with a college football teams logo on it. 

I'm a straight up pvssy. I sit all day and draw sh!t and read books and have nice shoes. Probably don't qualify as much of a man in many other men's eyes

but i like my scotch. And am not afraid of my food.  

Most men (gun toting, truck driving, big strapping men) are afraid of their food

tell me. Who's the pvssy?

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'm not afraid of food, but I always think my meat is good. Wish my wife agreed.....
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw random question but in what part of the country do you live? 
    Greensboro, NC
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Meat will be good in your fridge 'practiacally' forever. As long as your fridge is running correctly

You buy a roast. Manager's special. A little brown. Some sheen to it. A magic rainbow of colors. 

guess what?

still good. 

'sell by' dates have nothing (say it again) nothing (and i mean, nothing) to do with food safety. Nothing

but 'fresh' is relative 

cheese is unfresh milk

listen to yourself. If you don't know if the meat is good, don't ask "hey, anonymous guy on the internet, is my meat still good?"  Instead, ask yourself. "Why don't I (me. Myself) know whethwr my meat is good or not"

Ten thousand years ago, a man who fed his family understood his food better than most american men today, said men whose idea of manhood is to buy an apron with a college football teams logo on it. 

I'm a straight up pvssy. I sit all day and draw sh!t and read books and have nice shoes. Probably don't qualify as much of a man in many other men's eyes

Most men (gun toting, truck driving, big strapping men) are afraid of their food

Or more simply said:  every sperm is good, in your neighborhood.  Love you Stike and how you persevere and take time to educate us. Thank you man.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Meat will be good in your fridge 'practically' forever. As long as your fridge is running correctly

guess what?

still good. 

but 'fresh' is relative 

cheese is unfresh milk

I need nicer shoes. What are your favorite shoes?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I live very far away from all the gun toting, truck driving, big strapping people on this forum

Too far away for them to bother to get into their truck so they can drive over and either shoot me or beat me up for having offended them with an offhand forum comment

[i really don't like this thing where Nolaegghead is gone and suddenly i'm the *sshole]. 

I was like Joe Biden. Everyone blaming Obama. Me giggling on the sidelines and drinking heavily. But then Lee Harvey Moderator assassinated Nola.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Dudes, THIS is a lot to absorb, while altering my consciousness listening to Pink Floyd, sitting around the campfire, finishing off the last of the Basil Hayden milk shakes (egg nog) from My Beautiful Wife's ancient family double secret family recipe. So bottom line, remove the layers thought to be spoiled, remain calm, and carry on?? Or am I too far out to understand? I am about to buy another ( thanks freakin' BGE) freezer.  Feeling like Tom Petty here,.....I Need To Know!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky